Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 54,021 to 54,040 of 96,522

bimmy-lee

@Zuljaras - Some police departments in big cities here use horses, and I always feel bad for them. There’s just no way I can imagine a horse gets accustomed to all the chaos of a big city. I’m of the opinion that horses should just be retired from all forms of labor. We should be past using them at this point. They’ve done enough. I’m an animal lover, but I don’t like being around them either. I don’t like to be around big, strong animals that are also skittish. I wouldn’t want to hang out near an elephant either. Makes me nervous.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

RR529

@Heavyarms55, with anime in the US, look up who licenses it.

If it's Funimation, everything will be available in full/uncensored on their own service.

If it's Viz, everything will be fully available/uncensored on Hulu (they briefly had their own service, Neon Alley, but was absorbed into Hulu some years ago).

If it's Sentai Filmworks, everything willy be fully available/uncensored on HiDive (they're in-house streaming service).

Also look into Retro Crush. They specialize in obtaining licenses of 80's/90's/00's anime that were localized by defunct studios like ADV & US Manga Corps, but were never later obtained by the bigger players like Funi or Viz (so they have stuff like the 90's Fatal Fury OVAs & Medabots). They also license out other anime from the time period that were never originally localized (though subs only). It should be worth noting that most of their catalogue (though not all of it), is available on Amazon in full/uncensored.

As for Netflix, only watch the anime that they have financed/moneyhatted themselves (so, only the stuff marked as a Netflix original). Everything else will be incomplete/subs only/censored as the license holders (Funi, Viz, Sentai) want you to use their own services. Same can be said for non Viz properties on Hulu, probably most of the anime on Amazon (outside of the stuff they get from Retro Crush), and Crunchyroll.

One last thing, VRV. It's actually run by Crunchyroll, and bundles their entire catalog with the entire catalog of HiDive as well as some non anime services like Rooster Teeth.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Heavyarms55

@RR529 This is all very useful info and I appreciate it!

But I do still wish for a service where I could just type in the name of the show and get an immediate answer as to who streams it.

I don't mind digging if I have to, but it just seems like something that we shouldn't have to do. These services make their money off of these shows. I would think making their catalog available so we can see what they offer very easily would be a given - but apparently not.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Tyranexx

@TheJGG First of all, happy late birthday to your mother! Though I don't think a long game of hide & seek is the best way to celebrate. Glad you found her, at any rate!

This is by no means an expert opinion, but based off your report, I'd say your golf game went pretty well. Not a bad time range either. Out of curiosity, was it a normal 18-hole course? Funny thing about golf, I didn't realize my sister's fiancee used to play until I was helping haul in all his stuff. He owns a golf bag with a full range of clubs, though he said he hasn't played in years. I stored the bag with a few other odds and ends in the attic.

Your situation with all the unmasked tourists does indeed sound stressful. Honestly, in the area where I'm at, that's almost a norm here now since restrictions are relaxed outside of state and government facilities, public transportation, and businesses that don't require masks (or only require them if one is not vaccinated). I did have a similar experience the day after Christmas; my mom needed help shopping for groceries and other items since she also takes care of my grandmother's shopping. Typically my sister helps out, but she wasn't available that day. But...the day after Christmas, and it was a Saturday....Most people were wearing masks then, but the sheer number of people (thanks, agoraphobia), many of which were clearly not social distancing, sent my anxiety levels through the roof. I legit had to find a quieter area to de-stress a little. I didn't quite have a panic attack, nor do I normally experience them, but I'm fairly certain I was close to one. I go to that same store (a Walmart) on occasion, but even pre-Covid I would visit the store during some less busy times and normally avoid going on weekends entirely unless it's an emergency. I'm certain you will be fine with the resort protocols in place, but for peace of mind I'd suggest masking up and trying to keep clear of the crowds as much as possible. I do know that's unfortunately easier said than done in some situations.

I'm not a morning person on days ending in Y lol. I can get up early if I absolutely need to, but I need to set an alarm. Caffeine sources are optional but certainly appreciated lolol. Some mornings aren't bad; it's usually a good sign if I can at least speak after a few minutes. I think some of it is weather-related (especially in the winter), but I do think some of it is my natural Circadian rhythm at work.

Not gonna lie; I'd certainly sample most, if not all of those chocolate options! Turns out Moser Roth is mostly just produced for the Aldi chain, could be why you haven't heard of it. Though a quick web search shows that the brand is available through some popular retail outlets online here, such as Walmart and Amazon. I think I've heard of Milka, though I can't say for certain if I've had any of their confections. Dates are very sweet, but there's something about the flavor that I find attractive.

I finished listening to Daft Punk's actual studio album releases, though I did also listen to and enjoy the entire album they did for Tron: Legacy. Need to watch the actual movie now; I've only seen the original. I still believe Human After All is my favorite album out of the bunch, though Discovery is a close second. Random Access Memories....I didn't dislike it, and I did like Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, and Contact. The rest of that one was okay, but I'm not sure I was fond of most of the other collab tracks.

Looks as though the button controls have translated over really well! It'll feel weird playing without the Wii's motion controls, but I'm willing to try the new control methods before ultimately settling on one I like. I do recall from the respective thread in the Switch forum that there were some issues with timing the bombs for the Scaldera fight, but that's an issue I had back in the original even. The Sandship is one of my favorite dungeons in the game, and at least the buildup to the boss fight is exciting. I do agree on your general assessment with some solutions. As much as I like aspects of Lanayru Mining Facility, the recently reported softlock brought back some frustrating memories of the place. Not a huge fan of the music there either; it isn't bad at first, but it grates after awhile.

I do recommend experiencing The World Ends With You, even if I'm not a huge fan of any of the available control schemes. I need to get around to the demo for the new game since that one was designed with button controls in mind. I 100% agree on Xenoblade, that plot ropes the player in from start to finish. I can't speak for Death Stranding or Persona 5, but maybe someday? XD As for DDLC, I'm debating about whether I want to grab it digitally or wait for the now-delayed physical release. I'm starting to accumulate a decent amount of My Nintendo Gold points and am itching to spend a few of those soon. I do appreciate no spoilers; I'm generally pretty good about avoiding them, but sometimes my curiosity either gets the better of me, or else someone assumes I've played absolutely every big hit in the last 30+ years...Case in point, a certain event in Final Fantasy VII. I intentionally know little about the game, but THAT was spoiled for me years ago thanks to a parody YouTube channel lol.

I wouldn't say I have supernatural hearing - the "Best Sense" award goes to my poor nose - as I have some issues hearing people in environments with a ton of background or white noise. It's more like my brain just automatically keys into something it can easily hear in the surrounding environment. Another quiet gait, eh? I sometimes startle people at work and elsewhere, though it's (usually) unintentional. Kinda surprising, with how clumsy I can be....Breathing is definitely an excellent relaxation technique; it's something I've used to help calm down or even sleep. My mind is very easily derailed when I'm already nervous; I had a similar incident happen when I was presenting a book report in high school. My brain completely shut down for what felt like 10-15 seconds. I reportedly turned very pale, and yes the pause was long enough to be apparent.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tyranexx

Heading out to meet my mom shortly so that we can (hopefully) get the AT&T debacle I growled about a few pages ago figured out. Fingers crossed a reasonable compromise comes out of the deal. I'm fine with getting a new phone - been wanting to for a few months actually - but I'd rather wait just a bit longer...though I'd still get one long before they shut their 3G network down. I received a text message earlier about the "automatic phone activation" thing that'll hopefully not happen in a couple weeks. I absolutely refuse to use that potato. That'll hamstring about anything I do on my phone that's data-related. I don't game on my phone much, but I do play some Pokemon Go on occasion and do want to get around to trying a small handful of decent mobile games (such at Layton Brothers: Mystery Room).

Edit: Store was busy and they close in about 20 minutes. Rescheduling when we go in.

@Snatcher Heh, I'm talking years ago. I normally try not to let a lot of that bleed into my online interactions. The internet already has enough drama!

@NintendoByNature XD There are various reasons why, but I generally do try to have a more positive life outlook these days. Other than through mental effort, I think my gradual lifestyle changes are helping out as well. As for crazy....I thrive on literal humor and dry puns IRL. Some of my coworkers probaby think I AM crazy. XD Though not enough to get me institutionalized or carted off to HR.

@ogo79 A little bit of it too is I've vowed to try to spend more time with the people already in my life who are important to me. Too, mid to late summer is usually pretty crazy for me in general. XD

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Science fiction, comedy, horror, or action/adventure?

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Books? You’re writing books? What’s the subject matter, stuff you don’t care about?

@Tyranexx - I’m in on all carb or starch salads. Bet those deviled eggs were tasty. I like them best after they’ve sat out a little while and the egg starts to sweat. That’s when you know the flavors are mixing.

So, in the touching up and modernizing process, are you able to apply some creativity to how the final product looks on screen, or are you strictly re writing code for better performance? It would be fun to inject a little of your own creative flair into the visual element of the program. Sounds like you made yourself valuable learning an older language. I used to light heartedly make fun of my friend for learning Latin until he got an incredible job with a big antique book collector.

Ya know, I thought about calling you a code witch, but I thought that might be more offensive than code wizard, even though I think witches are pretty cool. Maybe you can be a code witch in October for the part time gig.

So what type of writing did you do? Was this school related or on your own? I understand resisting editing completely and feeling emotionally attached to something you’ve written. I basically refused to edit much of anything in my writing classes that wasn’t grammar related. Journalism was really tough for me in this way, and part of why I got out of that program is because everything I handed in got sent back to me with “tldr re write at half length” even though I thought I had been incredibly conservative with my word economy.

@ogo79 - Haha, yeah, I was just messing around based on some other post you made. Dang man, you’re an absolute saint if only one person has ever truly gotten on your nerves around here all this time. I think it happens to me at least once every time I read the comments. I think you mentioned backloggery in that other thread, what is that site? I clicked on someone’s link once and saw tons of old timey NL folks on there. Seems that’s where a lot of people went the time before the time before the time the userbase changed here. It looks like a site where you chart your game progress and achievements and can also chat with people as well?

limby-bee was a jerk.

MarioVillager92

@Tyranexx That's a really good idea, I was thinking that I'd work my way to the top. Hopefully I'll like them better! I'm pretty sure that Disney World and Disneyland has these kind of coasters, if I end up going to either one. What are some of your favorite rides? One of the coasters I remember seeing from Disney World/Disneyland (can't recall which one lol) was that train one, which had that wild west theme (it's called Thunder Mountain if I'm remembering it correctly). I'd probably like going on that since I like its theme.

Edited on by MarioVillager92

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee A hack I use at a local pizza place with a small but great salad bar is using some of their potato salad for a dressing. I'm not fond of their actual dressing options (Can't stand French or Thousand Island, and Ranch is for dipping things only in my book), so it's a nice substitute. Not quite as big on mac salad, but I'll eat it! I could easily gorge on deviled eggs.

With the touch-ups, depending on the issue or project, sometimes it's strictly backend. Part of my current project involved touching up both the functionality and general look of an area, so it's definitely a fun one! We've gradually been working on some of the system UI, but it's so massive that we're doing it in pieces. What I know is valuable, but it definitely isn't an open source language that's easy for anyone to jump into. Thus, that with the previous mismanagement makes it less popular these days. The company currently heading the development is working on accessibility, but it's quite a process. The language and dec environment certainly present challenges sometimes, but some aspects of it are certainly powerful. And integrating it with other existing technologies makes it easier than ever. My limited C# and XML experience is coming in handy right now! As for a code witch....That's definitely an idea. Though I'm not sure how I could pull off a scary code witch. Our oldest staff member has the normal witch shtick pretty much pegged lol.

On writing: it was mostly related to school papers and essays, though at one point in my internet days I delved into fanfiction on a Pokemon RPG site I used to frequent. My first effort was the longest and had a lot of work put into it, but looking back it was quite cringe lol. Nothing NSFW or anything just very generic and clearly by someone getting their feet wet. A couple of smaller efforts after that were better IMO. Wish I'd saved them, but I was young enough back then that backing up my work wasn't a priority. The PC those documents were on crashed years ago, and I believe any internet archives are now lost.

...There was a post-apocalyptic piece I started but never finished involving a sentient dead man, and another I was tossing around that merged Pokemon with some of the happenings with WWII. The former has been done before, and looking back I'm not sure how well I could've handled some of the latter's sensitive material since it would've dealt directly with Bergen-Belsen.

@MarioLover92 Thunder Mountain would be a good medium coaster I'd think. Same with Space Mountain. The latter is relatively tame, but the intensity factor is upped by the lack of lighting and technical effects. You can't see where you're going, which I'm not sure would be the best experience for someone on the fence. Those would be the best ones to try at either Disney. Hollywood Studios also has an Aerosmith-themed coaster, though IIRC that one is a bit more intense. Same goes for Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom.

All of the above are excellent in their own way in my completely biased opinion.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Ninfan

@Tyranexx reading in one of your posts, you said your phone company will shut down there 3G network. do you think 4G has much left or when will they close it down. i get 4G for 20 euro a month unlimited. i really hope my price will not go up😆

Ninfan

MarioVillager92

Just finished setting up my Roku box. It's already a lot smoother/faster than my "smart" TV.

@Tyranexx Okay awesome, thanks! Space Mountain does sound pretty cool, since I like the space theme in general, but yeah, not sure if I can handle the darkness of it just yet, lol. So I think I'll start out at Thunder Mountain as the first coaster I go on when I get to the wonderful world of Disney. Of course, I'll be willing to go on rides that are slower and more relaxing than many coasters as well. They'd be perfect for recollecting myself after going on roller coasters, that's for sure.

Best of luck on getting that AT&T thing sorted out, by the way! My phone is kind of showing its age (my current one was acquired in 2017) but it still works a-okay overall. I haven't played games on it most of the time. I did play Mario Kart Tour on it for a little bit, and it wasn't working that great...it was too much for my phone to handle. That's fine though, since I didn't like the controls on it. Didn't like the game as a result. Ah well, at least I gave it a fair shot.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Eel

Space Mountain is really cool. Not a lot to see, but it feels so darn fast! My brother almost broke my arm with how tightly he grabbed me, hahaha. That was his first ride during his first visit to Disneyland too. I don’t think he remembers much of it 😂

My all time favorite one in Disneyland is Big Thunder Mountain, it’s a lot of fun and not scary at all, but you do get a lot of movement. I went on it both times I visited Disneyland, and will absolutely ride it again if I ever return.

I really want to ride Matterhorn, too. But haven’t been able to.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ogo79

bimmy-lee wrote:

@ogo79 - Haha, yeah, I was just messing around based on some other post you made. Dang man, you’re an absolute saint if only one person has ever truly gotten on your nerves around here all this time. I think it happens to me at least once every time I read the comments. I think you mentioned backloggery in that other thread, what is that site? I clicked on someone’s link once and saw tons of old timey NL folks on there. Seems that’s where a lot of people went the time before the time before the time the userbase changed here. It looks like a site where you chart your game progress and achievements and can also chat with people as well?

ive only had a problem with one person on here that just got on my nerves. crying all the time about virtual console games lol. the backloggery site is cool, yeah you can send pms and chart game progress and add yer collection, its pretty detailed.

Tyranexx wrote:

@ogo79 A little bit of it too is I've vowed to try to spend more time with the people already in my life who are important to me.

yeah im kinda workin on that myself since my dad passed. i even made a facebook page 2 days ago and added all my family, soon theyll have to put up with my skeleton postings, everyone gets to suffer!

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ogo79

Eel wrote:

I remember you used to joke about increasing the price of rarer virtual console games to match their physical prices.

L
M
A
O
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii_u_virtual_console/nin...
ha, so this is a zombie thread. some people took it seriously and thats when i had my fun!
i kill them off softly little by little.
no one should open this thread now.
but boy i want to...
that thread is legend.
this was one of my favorite posts there:

Beta wrote:

Is it me or you're actually just upset about it releasing for so cheap while you forked over hundreds for the original cartridge?

ive never been upset for spending anything on anything. it was just him.
one day im gonna have to read all the posts again.
and laugh even harder at everyone.
look at one of my buddys profile:
https://www.nintendolife.com/users/8BitSamurai
"A dood retired from NL indefinitely, always available on BL. Always working on my collection, always. My favorite systems are the PlayStation and SNES, but I enjoy most systems. I'm waiting for the RDP, to collect "rare downloads" too. Also a fan of anime/manga, and classic films. Go Miami!"
his posting signature says "Official "rare download" Assistant"
RDP stands for "rare downloads program"

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

bimmy-lee

Haha, I found that thread on my own once and laughed as I read through some of it. Let’s not forget the “C’mon Reggie...” posts and all the crying gamer gifs.

limby-bee was a jerk.

BabyYoda71

Breath of the Wild arrived for me on Monday and I’ve been loving it so far. Honestly, I’m not enjoying it as much as Odyssey yet. I understand why people enjoy the open-world aspect of it, but... I don’t know, it just isn’t as good to me yet. I’m only at the finding the four Divine Beasts and collecting my memories from photos and I have a good feeling I’m going to love it a lot once I get a bit farther.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Eel

@BabyYoda71 as a tip, I recommend you start your divine beasts quests with Vah Medoh (the bird), since that's the easiest and simplest of the 4, so it might be a bit disappointing if you leave it for later.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic