Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 36,781 to 36,800 of 96,447

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia You must have missed my edit, as well as my confession to @HobbitGamer about making that particular mistake... You're like the guy that laughs about the joke when everybody else has already left the bar the joke was told in...

And knowing our history concerning that particular topic, you did NOT just mention Audrey...
Must... resist... reacting... and... starting.... another.... useless.... discussion...

EDIT:

As for the kitchen lighting: no private kitchen needs industrial strength lighting, that makes a kitchen look more like an operating room than a kitchen. Most if not all of what is prepared in there, is already dead anyway...

I've got controlled lighting in my kitchen, that I can dim or brighten at will. Seeing as my kitchen is an open one, directly connected to my living room, I wouldn't want any kind of construction site beamer lighting up my whole living room the entire evening, so when I'm not busy in the kitchen, making dinner or whatever, the light goes down halfway. But even at full strength, it's never bright white. Just clear enough for me to be able to comfortably and safely do whatever it is that I need to do when I'm standing at the kitchen counter or stove.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, I missed the edit, that's what happens when typing long winded replies while everyone else is replying in a thread that doesn't auto-refresh with new posts

Mentioning Audrey to you is like jumping into a crowded movie theater GameStop and yelling "Pokemon Shield!!"

Well, yeah, if the kitchen were connected to the living area directly that could be an issue. For me the kitchen is separated by a 3ft wide hatchway (they call it a door....) so it doesn't interfere. But yeah for working in a kitchen space, I want full-on commercial brightness, and not a lumen less. We'll chalk that one down to taste. Commercial is lit the way it is for safety reasons - the back of house at a restaurant will never have mood lighting. Granted mine is just two normal LED lightbulbs in a ceiling fixture, but I do get them in daylight hue. The living area is dim lighting....but kitchens are an exception for me.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX I’ve got a vaulted ceiling in my open kitchen, so my Long tube fixture works for me. If I had a lower ceiling I’d probably go with targeted smaller lights.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Oh yeah, that’s a total “fancy grandma” lampshade. It’s ridiculous really because I think it actually makes the room darker when I run the leg lamp because it’s so big and gold. It’s the only lampshade like it in my place and it’s only on display for the holiday season. Nothing quite screams “fancy grandma” quite like those amazing rotary phone covers though. Truly one of the most grandma ideas ever.

@NEStalgia - Oh you know it, I’m a total gnome guy. I think I might actually believe in them. My parents had a set of ceramic gnomes scattered around the house when I was really young. I’ve still never come across a set of them at any of my junk shops. I’ve seen a few individual figures here and there, but they’ve always been in bad shape and looked lonely without the rest.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee We need a gnome pattern phone cover. That way we could....

Phone gnome.

aaaaand that's ok, I know where the door is....

NEStalgia

DenDen

Yust wanne say hi!
Very busy last weeks but im still around boys and girls!

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Nah, anything Pokémon related is worse nowadays, especially if you (have the audacity to) say that you actually think that the game looks pretty good...

@HobbitGamer Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against tube lighting, as long as it isn't overbearing. And of course, my eyesight isn't as bad as @NEStalgia's, so I don't need to have a kitchen light with an intensity that's similar to something like this setup here:
Untitled
@bimmy-lee And those are just the factory made covers. Back in the eighties, we had all kinds of varieties here. Even knitted ones...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@Eel but the real question is front of roll or back of roll. Everyone knows that.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

Side of roll. Fight the system!

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@HobbitGamer duuude.. gato is really solid. A good 2.5 hours in and its getting good. Everything youd expect from a metroidvania, just a little sillier. Did you get a chance to check it out?

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - The phone covers are just great. Like NES, I’ve never seen one, but they make perfect sense. The cover on the base makes sense, but the slip on the handset makes me a tad nervous. What’s going to happen to that thing over time with the bunching and twisting? Not to mention absorbing all that hand funk. It would be a different color within a year. Rotary vets know those hand and ear pieces got sweaty. It warms my heart to think about little, old grandmas in the 70s and 80s catching up on gossip on rotary phones draped in their own crochet handywork.

@NEStalgia - I’m securely on team gnome phone home. Wait, toilet... paper? Is that the soft white stuff I remember wrapped around all the cardboard tubes my family leaves behind? Seriously though, paper in the front, or else swamp maniac.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Haha, yeah, these things are basically a breeding ground for bacteria. The horn all by itself was already bad enough in some people's homes, let alone putting a foundation for germ city on the device. Biologists could have probably have a field day with a used one...

But yeah, in ideal conditions, it actually did have its charm, in a sense. Mostly in the aforementioned "Aaaah.... old people and their weird furniture garments" kinda way. It certainly was something of a product of its time or something like that. Well, over here at least...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Hey, thanks about your Ratchet recommendation last time. 😀
Suddenly.... After several days i watched every single Ratchet PS3 games gameplay from Youtube to understand the gameplay mechanism since i was a newbie of that franchises, i have decided to add ALL 7 Ratchet PS3 games on my shopping list.
1. Trilogy
2. A Crack in Time
3. Quest for Booty
4. Tools of Destruction
5. Into the Nexus
6. Full Frontal Assault
7. All 4 One
That means, i have considered to revive PS3 games with my new list. Time to revive FF XIII, The Sims 3 Pets, some casual Sport / Move games, Ratchet games, etc. 😁

The only problem is finding the original PS3 machine since here in Indonesia, almost 99.99 % of PS3 machines are recondition, Jailbroken with CFW, Repacked with unofficial PS3 box with all the fakeness on the box. So sad and extreme cringe if you visit Black market game shop in Indonesia.
I will find from Tokopedia, at least i will find 1 or 2 Original PS3 machine.

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter If you still have your PS4, be sure to add "Ratchet and Clank" (the movie-tie-in) as well. It's tons of fun as well (All 4 One was iffy.) I love the series, though, and generally love gameplay by Insomniac in general!

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
I think i will revive Ratchet PS4 as well.
But i must hurry to get Ratchet PS3 games as they are very rare on Ebay.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter You're very welcome. Glad to see you are actively trying to broaden your view, which is never a bad thing. But I do have to emphasize one more time that you shouldn't focus too much on watching gameplay videos only, to base your decisions upon. If the possibility exists, just try the games out, either in a normal game store or in a retro game shop, whichever is available.

As for availability of the games in Asia: another good source, and in my opinion an even better one than eBay, is PlayAsia. They're not always the cheapest, but at least they are far more reliable than eBay:
https://www.play-asia.com/search/ratchet+%26+clank#fc=

And here is a whole list of Ratchet & Clank games on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/ratchet-CLank-Video-Games/s?k=ratchet+...
I'm assuming that you can also use American PS3 games, since PS3 consoles are supposedly region free, far as I know. (if I remember correctly, that does not count for PS1 and PS2 games, due to how these are emulated, so it only counts for PS3 games)

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia On a totally unrelated side note: without actually jumping into yet another useless discussion and inviting a whole lot of unwanted negativity upon myself, I did feel like letting you know that I completely, 1000% (yes, a thousand) agree with your views/opinion in that Broly voice acting comments section. Some people apparently feel like it's better to first destroy a person's life, and THEN decide whether or not he or she is actually guilty of what they're accused of...

These types of individuals apparently either have no friggin' clue about the ramifications of such actions, or they simply lack the skill set/intelligence to empathize with people not yet definitively convicted of whatever crime they're accused of, and I simply HATE that kind of mindset or behavior. It's EXACTLY the type of "people" aka short-sighted idiots that the world needs less of. Or in an ideal situation: none...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Thanks!

I suppose it's largely human nature - not unlike the 18th century and before. The modern viewpoint now, as then, seems to be that there's a right side and a wrong side to every issue. The one you favor is the right one. Everyone who disagrees is a monster supporting the enemy. Couple that with issues like that where there's a strong emotional bias for some people to favor one side for one reason or another, and the very concept that the accused may in fact, not be a witch, even if they don't float can't be processed. The accused are always witches! Even the risk that someone with some credibility thought the accused might be a witch justifies the burning just in case. It's better to accidentally burn a non-witch than to not burn an actual witch, after all! The crusade to right the wrong they wish to right overrides all other imperatives, and anyone caught in the crossfire is just necessary collateral damage of a smaller number than the people they are saving.

I think it's less about not being able to emphasize with the accused so much as being so narrowly focused on the cause or group they champion they no longer care about any collateral damage along the path and see it as perfectly justified for the larger cause. Everyone is expendable in the service of the cause as long as the numbers statistically are favorable for a larger group, and so long as they, themselves are not part of that minority of sacrifices (which by sense of their own virtue would be impossible for them to conceive.) Of course that very same thinking can, and has, stained rivers red through history when taken to its logical conclusion....

Unfortunately, cases like that one where the action appears to have ultimately been the correct one after investigation only reinforce that mindset that it all works out right in the end, the next time someone is accused.

I figure I can't fix the world, but by making the case for actual blind justice and the larger reasoning for it in a place like this, at least a few lurkers may walk away with a willingness to question things and view all angles, not having been previously presented with anything but "right side, wrong side."

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic