Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,101 to 35,120 of 96,541

Anti-Matter

@Tyranexx
"what Atlas COULD have done there."

Did someone said Atlas ?
Well, i have my own Atlas design as Chibi muscular man carrying a big globe.
I will take a copy of my Atlas and give it color.

Anti-Matter

bimmy-lee

Where my old folks at? I used to carry an atlas in my car. In case I got lost. I could pull off the road, into a parking lot, and spend five wasted minutes trying to figure out where the heck I was. Sometimes it even worked. Thank goodness for Mapquest, am I right, or am I right?!?

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Yeah, I figured you might like that video. His other videos are equally entertaining, actually, all trying to explain fictional characters and happenings from a real world perspective, which sometimes not just makes it understandable, but also even more interesting than it already was.

As for the good doctor himself: well, good guy.... he's more of a neutral evil(*) wizard. Or perhaps that label is too AD&D for you, sorry. I think my former nerd got the better of me there for a minute...

But all kidding aside, if he was a real character, I'd probably despise him. He's aloof, doesn't think much of humanity, and thinks he's the solution to it all, as in no one's opinion but mine matters. Even though I also sometimes find it hard to keep faith in humanity as a whole, I'm still a hell of a lot more social and empathic than him, so he's basically just the ultimate douche, and not a person that I'd go and grab a beer with.

Something he probably wouldn't enjoy anyway, because he'd more than likely see intake of alcohol as a complete and utterly useless waste of time...

As for his weakness: that bit is explained from the 16 minute mark and onward. It's still explained by a math & science nerd, albeit a cool one that makes interesting comics related videos, but still...

It's supposed to make things clearer for us ordinary people, but sometimes it's still feels like he's trying to explain the square root of pi, multiplied by the outcome of the Pythagoras theorem to a complete math noob...

All kidding aside, I'm not quite sure either, but my interpretation is that he's vulnerable in some ways BECAUSE he's living outside of time, and when time is changed, as per the DC Multiverse happenings, then he has had no influence on that, and as such, can be weaker in those instances, which is why (as mentioned in the video from the 16 minute mark on) he has sometimes been beaten by supposedly less powerful characters.

That's the best I can make of it for now, but maybe we should persuade uber-hermit @NEStalgia to watch the video as well, and see what he makes of it...

(*)Just in case my AD&D reference got you curious enough to want to know what the heck an evil neutral character is supposed to be, here's the info in a nerd's nutshell:

Neutral evil characters are intrinsically selfish people, regardless of whose side they are on, and as a token evil teammate, they may sell out to the bad guy if it makes achieving their goals significantly easier.

Neutral evil beings consider their alignment to be the best because they can advance themselves without regard for others. Neutral evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents pure evil without honor and without variation.

... If the neutral evil can use laws to weaken those who stand in the way of his success, he will use them. If he must resort to breaking the law, he will. He has no preference for either method. The only important thing is that he gets what he wants. Laws are tools to use against people, as well as their own sense of honor.

Here are some possible adjectives describing neutral evil characters: unfeeling, uncaring, insensitive, unkind, uncooperative (unless it suits them), self-reliant, wicked, cruel, depraved, corrupt, immoral, hateful, vicious, and destructive.

I know, not entirely ticking all the boxes, but still ticking quite a few of them, so pretty darn close, far as I'm concerned.

@StableInvadeel Priority #1: stay safe. That story can wait until you're back in your own home again...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Thou art forgiven, ma'am...
Although, unfortunately, thou hast now rather erroneously giveth ideas to strange-fellow Anti...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - That makes it a lot more tangible for me, thank you. If existing out of time is his greatest strength, then uprooting and shifting time would take away that strength, at least for the duration it takes time to re settle into the present. Perhaps it even makes that strength a temporary weakness.

I think we’re all Dr. Manhattan. Take away the flaws we perceive in him, and he’s us; completely in control of his present time and space. We can shape it like a sandcastle, just like he does it. I feel that way about nearly every character in The Watchmen. They’re all a slice of us, which, when combined into a whole human being, makes us the omnipotent beings of our existence.

By “good friend” I meant - if you believe we’re in charge of ourselves and have unlimited power to decide the matters around us - Manhattan would make a good friend, or a powerful enemy. I’d rather bend him into being my friend. Which probably makes me neutral evil now that I think about it.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature No worries, man. I can relate to that, so I definitely won't hold it against you.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee One tiny flaw in that idea, though: because of him seeing the past, present and future as a whole, he'll know that many would not REALLY want him as a "friend" but more out of a point of view from not wanting him as an enemy, which could ultimately result in him deciding we're not worthy after all, and simply removing us out of existence...

Yeah, I'm gonna stick with the "the guy is the ultimate douche" label. I'm a heart on your sleeve kinda guy, and seeing as he's blue, he'd actually fit quite nicely in a watery environment, such as a bathroom, which is where all douches belong...

EDIT:

Forgot to respond to the rest of your comment. I agree on the Watchmen all being kinda like a part of us, but that is actually true for most super heroes out there. They all have aspects or characteristics that we recognize, which is of course the whole idea behind it and the trick to making them somewhat relatable. They have the same problems and issues as us normal humans, and they even share some of our addictions, regardless of all the powers that they possess.

But as for myself, other than being pretty darn confident of my own abilities, I've never felt omnipotent or all-powerful. Just a pretty competent and confident human being, although of late, that feeling is also beginning to wane, but I digress...

So, in short, I don't feel nearly as powerful as any of these characters. In fact, the more we know, especially in this day and age where we're looking at objects hundreds of light years away, I almost feel like we're growing more insignificant with each new discovery out there. Actually trying to fathom our size and place in the grand scheme of it all is sometimes truly awe-inspiring and humbling to me.

If we'd be sitting at a table with a good meal and some half-decent beers, I'd explain the intricacies of what these thoughts can or sometimes will do to the mind of a highly empathic and analytic person such as myself, but that would probably be a definite mood killer, and maybe even a bit too personal, so I'm just gonna leave that path alone for now.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Anti-Matter

Btw, i still wonder what is exactly the meaning of Hold it against me from Britney Spears song ?

Anti-Matter

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Maybe too personal for a forum, but not over food and beers. Agreed that superheroes always represent a slice of us so that we can see ourselves in them. I just think The Watchmen in particular, as a team, represent a fully realized human. I think Moore dissected us into six parts, and made a character of each. Probably why I love those books so much. My biggest flaw with my theory and Manhattan’s power is that I don’t believe in time, either as an actual thing, or as a fourth dimension. It’s also something I think Moore was exploring in The Watchmen.

@NintendoByNature - Cheers pal! It’s freaking Friday.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Well, I'd say time does exist, but our understanding of it is rather limited, linear and boxy, because, well... you know, people like to put stuff in boxes, so they can label and recognize it, instead of just leaving it out there making us feel uncomfortable or any other kind of negative emotion...

But aside from the perhaps incorrect label, there simply HAS to be a dimension that concerns or is tied to the passage of moments in all directions, which is what time basically is, and we most definitely ARE somewhere in the midst of that maelstrom, dimension, timeline or whatever you wanna call it, because if not, then we too would be able to live/relive and see any and all events from our lives and others, just hopping around at will, and that is obviously not the case here.

And all of that in and of itself may or may not also be tied into quantum mechanics and the string theory, but that's more something for professor @NEStalgia, so my "deep dive" into that specific subject ends here...

As for Moore: yeah, that's probably what he did, and what is done often in comics (just look at super hero teams and how they always seem to perfectly compliment each other to make a strong whole), although he really did do it quite a bit smarter, which is more than likely also why most of his stories are so loved and he's so well-received in his own circles as well.

@NintendoByNature Well... maybe not with the old, or should I say young Britney, but the current model is already nearing her best before date, if she hasn't passed it already...

@Anti-Matter If you say that you won't hold something against someone, it means that you don't blame them or hold them accountable for what they did (edit: and if you DO hold something against someone, then you obviously DO blame them), so that's the more metaphorical meaning of it, but if we're talking literally, then it just means to hold something against her, which in the context of a love song, could of course only mean either a body or a certain part of a body...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx

Close to showtime, so unfortunately I likely won't get to any further replies until tomorrow! I'm ready to terrify unsuspecting patrons.

@Anti-Matter I'd like to see that!

@ThanosReXXX One of the side effects of public forums. XD

@bimmy-lee Just asked, and the secret sauce is catfish stink bait. Maaaaan is it rank!

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Ninfan

Is there a PC, DESKTOP COMPUTER OR ANDROID TOPIC ON NINTENDO LIFE

Ninfan

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX she's still on tour ( I believe) and looks good imo. I liked almost every phase of Britney with the exception of GI jane Britney

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@Ninfan Well, you'll never find out unless you use something that I know which actually IS there in the forums on Nintendo Life, and that is the "search" function. And that is also what it's there for, so search first, ask questions later, if you REALLY can't find it...

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Oh, you mean totally mental, shaven-head double-chinned Britney? Yeah... who would like that version? Probably an equally deranged individual...

And don't get me wrong: I didn't mean to imply that she isn't attractive at all anymore, but nothing beats high school dress or red latex suit Britney for me, and probably for quite a few other men as well...

EDIT:
Damn, I forgot all about Toxic suit Britney...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic