Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 28,661 to 28,680 of 96,323

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX If we were talking about a Google product that happens to allow you to toggle some hidden stuff deep in the settings to not make it suck so badly I'd agree. But we're talking about a product that on the surface exists to be free, and safe and private.....yet in reality it's actual offered state isn't, it merely lets you dig in and disable stuff if you research it. Not via offered configuration - we're not talking defaults is on but the config lets you disable. We're talking about manual variable changes in manual config. conf file edits. That's not cool.

@Morpheel That's one of those Wikipedia weird edits to meed political expectations kind of things. It's kind of sort of true but if you ask most people here including people (supposedly) from Mexico they'd tell you that it's "Mexican independence day".....which....it isn't. That would be like Americans abroad making a big deal about the date of victory at Little Big Horn and telling everyone it's American independence day.

At times I wonder what portion of "Mexicans" here are actually from places like Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, etc and just pretend they're Mexican for acceptance as part of a larger more common group, most here aren't familiar enough with the dialects/accents to tell apart the countries by speech. I'm not good at telling most difference either...but a lot of the accents heard don't sound terribly like any actual Mexican residents I've known...though it could be Northern versus Southern accents.

NEStalgia

Eel

Mexicans raised in the US, and most of those living here for long periods of time, don’t really sound Mexican.

The accent slowly disappears, and they get that Chicano Spanglish accent.

Or at least those I know.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I really don't see the problem here, honestly. I don't think that the difference between an actual switch or option in the official settings, or being able to manually change/remove rules is all that insurmountable. It's making a mountain out of a mole hill, really.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Because the former is a direct feature offered by the product in it's native setup with options presented to the user to control their experience by design - which is what Mozilla says they promote - vocally. The latter is carving your own solution by working around the actual product's offerings by using some of it's existent, but not actively presented features. You shouldn't have to delve deep into "hidden" functionality to arrive at the product the organization claimed they were offering.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Morpheel That's probably it. Though oddly that sounds more "foreign" than the real thing....

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@AlohaPizzaJack Food-wise, CB isn't too bad. The only complaint I usually have is a small, petty one: I prefer rolls over cornbread muffins/biscuits. I ultimately feel that, in terms of the price and menu, a local non-chain dining business has similar stuff with better offers and (sometimes) better prices.

My main problem with the place is that we tend to get there during their lunch rush if we decide to go there on Sundays, which typically means that we have to wait awhile due to having an odd-numbered group that exceeds four people. I have absolutely no interest in their overpriced shop area, and the country music that they normally play is an assault on my eardrums. Plus, I'm not too fond of eating in loud environments due to the place's general acoustics.

To yesterday's credit, they somehow weren't too busy for a change, and we got right in.

@ThanosReXXX The number of home users bringing those in has thankfully fallen recently, so the hope is that before long, those calls will be nonexistent.

@Morpheel That's more how Cinco de Mayo is usually celebrated around here, minus the day off. It's acknowledged but isn't really a big deal otherwise. Some people just use it and some other "it's a holiday but not really" days as an excuse to hit the booze. XD I can't speak for other areas in the US though.

@NEStalgia Most of my enjoyment of XP is rooted in nostalgia. That was the era when I did most of my PC gaming. I can't count how many hours I spent playing Roller Coaster Tycoon and Space Cadet on my mom's old machine....

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx If you missed Win95 gaming, you missed the living nightmare best part! The sheer exhilaration of getting a new game, finding out it crashes/corrupts because you need new nVidia drivers, only for that to leave you in 640x480 8-bit color inexplicably until you can find the registry hack to fix things is timeless. Either that or it just BSODed the machine and require a new OS install - that was pure magic. Imagine an era where, especially gamers had to reinstall the OS several times a year. Including obscure boot floppies to get the BIOS to recognize the hardware. Good times!

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@NEStalgia That sounds painfully annoying great! Our first family computer was a Win95, though I was so young at that point that the only games I recall playing on it were a couple of Disney point and click games and a really obscure Flintstones-themed game. I think the original Oregon Trail Deluxe was on it too, but I'd have to beg my mom to play it as I couldn't understand how at the time.

We had various SIM games where I went to elementary school too that I enjoyed, but I couldn't say what Windows OS those were on (guessing 95 or 98). I still like booting up SIM Ant on Internet Archive sometimes.

...There was also an old Apple machine (at school) that took Floppys, but I can't even remember what games we played on that nor what Apple version it was. I just recall that the graphics were similar to that of an Atari 2600.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx "BUT it's Win95B!", "BUT it's OSR2!"

You haven't lived until you've installed Win95 from...what did it come on...35 floppy discs? Only for the HDD to die 6 months later... OSR2 required a CD-ROM drive. The rebel....

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@NEStalgia We somewhat considered floppy disks old at the time compared to CD-ROM disks, but there was some practical use occasionally. We're talking mid to late 90s here.

The most CD swapping that I ever recall doing for something was Oregon Trail III as that game, ironically, came with three disks.

HobbitGamer

How about them Zip Disks? Or Casettes. Mmm cassette backups...

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ninfan

What online computer game company's (like steam) is there and are they any good. do I have to buy a console off them or use a gaming laptop

Ninfan

HobbitGamer

I’m not really sure what that means. EA, GOG, Ubisoft, and Microsoft have Steam-like digital store fronts.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I'm still reading mountain from a molehill complaints here, my friend. There is no deep delving into options necessary. The number of steps to take to change unofficial options/settings manually, is the EXACT same as the number of steps you need to take to change the official ones that are in the standard settings. I don't care what Mozilla advertised or didn't advertise.

People mod all kinds of things, from consoles to cars, from houses to PC's, and suddenly, having to change a few settings in the developer menu of Firefox would be too big of a hurdle? Seriously, man. No offense, but that's just ridiculous. It's like saying: yeah, I know I asked for a solution, and I know it actually works as well, but I didn't want THAT solution. I wanted a plug and play one... Boohoo...

The most important point is that the options are there, within easy reach, for everyone, and most of the time, all it involves is changing a value from true to false, or the other way around, or adding a custom line. No astrophysicist experience required whatsoever...

So, if Joe Average should be able to do it, then I would definitely expect you to be able to take care of it. With one hand tied behind your back. And possibly putting your ear to your PC to hear if it has actually worked, afterwards...

@Tyranexx So, from your comments on it so far, do I have to assume that you have had to deal with stuff like that yourself, then?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX It has nothing to do with how difficult the steps are or not. The point is it is not a default. It is not an easily findable presented non-default. It's "hidden" settings for those features that are critical to the whole point of "safe, secure, private" they advertise. What this means is that the overwhelming majority of Firefox users, including business are not getting a "safe, secure, private" experience, they're getting a Chrome-like experience. The majority of those users are not deep diving the config, finding obscure settings named for their object property not a user-facing description, so that only those in the know, only those looking for said settings, only those searching tech sites to find out about the settings are going to know they need them, know they exist, and know where to find them - meaning it's only a "safe, secure, private" browser for hardcore geeks in the know, not for the masses as presented. Defeating the entire point of the Mozilla Foundation from its inception. Worse, getting into said console requires clicking on an "I accept the risks!" click-wrap for "this may void your warranty." "Only continue if you are sure of what you're doing."

It's not about how many clicks it takes. It's about the where it is, how it's presented, who is realistically going to access it, and who isn't, and watching the browser that most of the user base is using gradually morph into just another Google/MS/Apple surveillance product, no doubt, intentionally. And it's not just me making a big deal out of it. A significant part of the kind of people who do deep dive into that menu that have been part of, or contributors to, Mozilla over the years, free-software advocates, etc, have been railing against these changes for years! Let alone all the add-on developers that abandoned ship when they FORCED moving to the Chrome add-on system and abandoning half of what made FF configurable. And atop all this, the mandatory signing of add-ons that cause the weekend nightmare, along with many, many other user choice settings don't exist even in the advanced config anymore. If they really don't want you to access something, they turn it off completely in the stable/release builds. The only way to get to them is to use the nightly builds. "User choice," indeed.

Did I mention Google sits on the board? Because Google sits on the board. Can you tell?

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

Welcome to The Chit-Chat Thread, where all the internet browsers suck.

#MudStrongs

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

@ThanosReXXX It has nothing to do with how difficult the steps are or not. The point is it is not a default. It is not an easily findable presented non-default.

I'm going to try this one last time: IT... IS... NOT... A... DEEP... DIVE. And it IS easily findable. All it takes is typing "about:config" in the browser's address bar and you're there. My father could do it, and he's a complete noob where things like these are concerned.

It's "hidden" settings for those features that are critical to the whole point of "safe, secure, private" they advertise. What this means is that the overwhelming majority of Firefox users, including business are not getting a "safe, secure, private" experience, they're getting a Chrome-like experience. The majority of those users are not deep diving the config, finding obscure settings named for their object property not a user-facing description, so that only those in the know, only those looking for said settings, only those searching tech sites to find out about the settings are going to know they need them, know they exist, and know where to find them - meaning it's only a "safe, secure, private" browser for hardcore geeks in the know, not for the masses as presented. Defeating the entire point of the Mozilla Foundation from its inception. Worse, getting into said console requires clicking on an "I accept the risks!" click-wrap for "this may void your warranty." "Only continue if you are sure of what you're doing."

That disclaimer is of course nonsense, unless you're THAT stupid, that you REALLY don't know what you're doing. But the fact that you'd potentially be willing to go to that specific page, already indicates that your either willing OR able, or both, so I think it's safe to say that we can disregard that message, and just see it as similar to Windows' pop up messages asking you if you're sure that you want to close something, and then giving you another pop up to make sure that you're REALLY sure...

It's not about how many clicks it takes.

It is, if you're going to continue to whine about how difficult it is to get to, how much of a "deep" dive it is, and so on. None of which is true, so that was simply my point with that specific remark. What the hell is the difference if I have to flick a digital switch in a settings menu, or switch a value in a hidden menu that's just as easily accessible? Both take the exact same amount of steps, and both are equally easy to do. That one isn't instantly visible, is completely irrelevant. Just because you can't see a door knob, doesn't mean that the door can't be opened...

It's about the where it is, how it's presented, who is realistically going to access it, and who isn't, and watching the browser that most of the user base is using gradually morph into just another Google/MS/Apple surveillance product, no doubt, intentionally. And it's not just me making a big deal out of it. A significant part of the kind of people who do deep dive into that menu that have been part of, or contributors to, Mozilla over the years, free-software advocates, etc, have been railing against these changes for years! Let alone all the add-on developers that abandoned ship when they FORCED moving to the Chrome add-on system and abandoning half of what made FF configurable. And atop all this, the mandatory signing of add-ons that cause the weekend nightmare, along with many, many other user choice settings don't exist even in the advanced config anymore. If they really don't want you to access something, they turn it off completely in the stable/release builds. The only way to get to them is to use the nightly builds. "User choice," indeed.

Did I mention Google sits on the board? Because Google sits on the board. Can you tell?

Yeah.... okay. I'll agree on that last bit. I don't like Google meddling with it. I chose Firefox for a reason. Multiple reasons, actually. One of the more important reasons being that it's not Chrome, so if that is indeed what it's slowly turning into, then I'm probably going to stick to my outdated, non-Google infested version for the rest of my life.

Or I'll be looking out for another great alternative. Who knows, perhaps all these contributors that are now railing against all this, will come up with their own solution at some point. Perhaps a spiritual successor to the REAL Mozilla Firefox. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Well, that's about all I have to say about it. Feel free to (strangely) disagree with my undeniable logic, as I'm all but pretty sure you will.

@AlohaPizzaJack Yeah, sorry for the tech rant. After having dealt with stuff like that all day in the office, it's probably not what you're looking for on a game site forum page. Maybe I'll put up a disclaimer beforehand next time...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX Haha, ya'll know I don't really care. I just like to insert my dry quips

#MudStrongs

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic