Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 28,641 to 28,660 of 96,541

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx But that was just the point I was trying to make clear to you: it isn't bad or stupid, or whatever people seem to think, if you're still using XP, in whatever form. The unofficial Service Pack 4 already dragged it into the 2018's safely enough, and all the mods I mentioned, ESPECIALLY LastXP is ironclad and just as safe as any other Windows OS for any online activities that you might want to engage in.

I myself have used Black XP for many years, until last year actually, and I never had any issues or dangerous things happening to my PC when going online. And my PC is practically always online: always downloading or uploading stuff, most of the time. So, basically, I'm living proof that you could still go online safely with a Windows XP PC, as long as you don't use the standard SP2 or SP3 version.

Don't believe the marketing hype, or the so-called tech experts hype. Especially seeing as it's the REAL tech experts that made these modded and improved versions of XP in the first place...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, personally, I haven't seen any evidence that might point out that Firefox isn't still the best browser on the market, and by a pretty big margin as well...

But you could always look into the Tor Browser as an even more secure alternative...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX saying 2019 Firefox is the best browser by far is like saying the A9 camera is the best Sony product by far . It may be true, but it's not saying much

I've used Tor, it's not bad but has definite usability issues for a daily browser.

Firefox has pushed patches that have telemetry reporting as to if you have telemetry enabled or not. They're getting more and more chrome like. And considering Google sits on the Mozilla board, it's little wonder... FSF needs to get off their bought and sold rears and stop promoting corporate controlled "not profits" masquerading as freedom fighters.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

I myself prefer Netscape Navigator

I’ll see myself out.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

SheldonRandoms

Just celebrated Cinco de Mayo by eating OVER 9000 enchiladas, it was worth it to just lay in bed afterwards. I think we just celebrate whatever holiday on purpose just for an excuse to rev up food.

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

Tyranexx

Oh, I ate out a meal today with the fam, but it wasn't at a Mexican restaurant. I would've preferred to go to one instead of where we ended up, but as dad is strictly a meat and potatoes guy and is picky/has acid reflux to boot....

We ended up at Cracker Barrel.

@ThanosReXXX Part of the company I work for handles PC repair, and you'd be surprised how many home users (usually the folks who hold onto something until it irreparably breaks...sometimes past that) would haul in an old XP machine once in a while. Those are the people who honestly shouldn't be running it. Not that I'd recommend Windows 10, but....

Basically, I'm not knocking the platform. I loved XP, it's more the fact that it shouldn't still be in the hands of some home users who haven't been taught much about a computer besides navigating to their email and a search engine.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

So the app my emplyer offers had a bug, where photos were not being automatically rotated for a few weeks. Lots of photos got affected. I have been fixing them manually through the desktop site.

Click on a picture, move the cursor to the other side of the page... Move it back to another picture... After about a thousand I thought... "There has to be a better way"...

And that's how the "rotate right" function got mapped to the "ñ" key.

Now I just need to make sure I remember to remove that once I'm done.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

@Morpheel Hooray for macros! I had to use KeePass for a similarly mundane situation last year. I found an issue in clinician scheduling that required me to correct a month’s worth of calendars for 50 people. I managed to rig up a way to just hit CTRL+V to auto populate what I needed and submit changes.
@Tyranexx I like CB, tho any time I go I always get the same thing. The Big Boy breakfast with a steak.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

What's all this talk about Cinco de Mayo? Why the hell would I want to order/eat/celebrate five portions of mayonnaise?
(for the record: obviously just joking. My Spanish is completely fluid... )
(and yes, that too was a joke, and spelled incorrectly on purpose)

@NEStalgia There's patches for all of that. You just need to put a little effort into getting yourself informed about them, and then go to Firefox's "about:config" page to edit the desired settings. I was able to, so you can too. Over the years, I've changed dozens of settings in Firefox, that the average user isn't supposed to tamper with, but all of them have been to my benefit, so far.

As for Sony: you do know that they're dead to me, right?

@Tyranexx Oh, I definitely agree: it's the people that stick to the basic versions and/or who simply don't know Jack-you-know-who about keeping their PC's secure that are the ones that cause (and have) the most issues.

That's probably also a large part of the people who fall for ransomware schemes and what not...

My PC, on the other hand, is like a fortress. Not the fastest perhaps, but most certainly far more secure than most other users of the general public. Then again: with my download/upload activities, I always had to, ever since Windows 98...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Octane

Mayo party sounds great though.

Octane

Eel

Cinco de mayo is a day people in the US celebrate because they think it’s a day people in Mexico celebrate.

In the context of Mexico, it’s the date of a battle in Puebla, where the Mexican army successfully fended off the invading French army. The day is a free day off, but it’s not really “celebrated” in any significant way here.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx I feel like I'm the only one that always hated XP, starting with it's Fisher Price default theme. Win2k for life.

@ThanosReXXX Sure you can deep dive into the config - only if you're running a nightly/dev build, not a stable build....they removed that! But that's not the point. If you have to deep dive into obscure manual variable settings to fix the fact that the "private and free" browser is trying to spy on you, that doesn't really fix the fact that it's turning into Chrome-lite. And if you're often deploying on various machines that makes it pretty difficult to keep the configs straight on everything. Unless of course you're using the cloud sync....which defeats the whole point of disabling telemetry.

NEStalgia

Octane

It literally means the fifth of May; I feel so stupid now.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Morpheel THANK YOU I've been telling people that for years. I've often wondered why the "Mexico" the mobs of angry people who wrap themselves in Mexican flags and defend "their heritage" (and the white upper middle class sympathizers that do their screaming for them) never sounds very much like Mexico at all.... Somehow pointing that out makes me an evil racist who hates Mexicans. Apparently, along with the rest of Mexico.

The reminds me of the "hysteria" of Mario wearing a poncho and sombrero....how offensive that was.....North of the Rio Grande only......

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia That's like saying that you'll just accept any setting of any device that isn't to your benefit, or that allows companies to track/monitor you. That's either just lazy or naive. I'm going to go with a bit lazy, on your part. First off, it isn't a deep dive at all, and second, it takes all but a minute or two at most, to make these changes.

The standard version might be bad, but it's still open enough to be able to do something about it. And far as I'm concerned, if you have the means and the wits to do it, but you don't... well, then that's only one person's fault. As my mentor always used to say: trust is good, control is better.

On a side note: I do have to say that all I've said about it so far, only concerns private use. I don't give a hoot about companies who have issues with browsers, no matter which one they use. I take care of number one, and I'm perfectly satisfied with my not-quite-the-most-recent-and-modded version of Firefox...

@Morpheel I do hope that explanation was meant for @Octane and not for me, seeing as I already made clear that I was just kidding. I know that it's a fifth of May celebration. Over here we have it as well, except here, it is to celebrate that the Dutch were liberated by the allied forces in the Second World War. On the day before that, we have a national remembrance day, to take a moment and pay our respects to all the people who have given their lives to free the world from the German invaders.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Anti-Matter

Meanwhile, 5 May is Kodomo no Hi or Children's Day at Japan.
Untitled
According to my Japanese-Indonesian calendar. 😉

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Eel

There’s parts of the country where the date is more significant. So it’s possible the US festivity was started by immigrants from those places.

According to Wikipedia, in the US it’s celebrated as a Mexican inheritance recognition day. So that’s cool.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic