Forums

Topic: Rock Music Discussion

Posts 201 to 220 of 282

skywake

New Deerhoof album out tomorrow, my second most listened to artist on last.fm. They seem to be drawing from their heavier side this time around based on the singles which is always a good place to start

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Losermagnet

New Mastodon album - anybody have a listen? Yay or nay? I'm intrigued but a Mastodon double album sounds....like a lot.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

jump

@Losermagnet Just my thoughts, as an album it's one of their best and a proper career highlight, as a double album it doesn't need to be that long but at the same time there's nothing I can see that should have been cut to make it shorter.

@CactusMan this isn't the disco thread ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Losermagnet

@jump glad to hear a positive opinion. The first review I read was Pitchfork's and it was also the most negative. Although I'm not sure why I bother with Pitchfork; They don't cover much metal or rock and they're kinda pretentious. In any case, I've been going through a bit of a Georgian heavy metal kick and listening to a lot of Mastodon and Baroness (love Baroness).

Rambler

@Losermagnet
Pitchfork reminds me a bit of a student newspaper in the way that they slag off nearly every release.
However when it come to their decades best of lists, they play it really safe.
At least Fact had the guts to put Throbbing Gristle at the top of their best of the 70s list (over Tago Mego, On The Corner, Neu!75, Marquee Moon somehow...).

Rambler

Losermagnet

@Rambler i think every now-and-then they surprise me. They covered Type O's 'Bloody Kisses' on their Sunday classic review and were generally positive. Shocked me because I was certain they'd trash it for not aging well (it does have a song titled 'Kill All the White People'). Glad to see it because I think it's an amazing album in general and stands out among the early to mid 90s rock. Got me through high school.

jump

I've just seen IDLES were on a Jimmy Kimmel Live a month ago, bonkers. I saw them play in the back room of a pub 3ish years ago and they have had a rocket strapped to them since and are "breaking America" now.

Their new album is excellent after the lukewarm prior album.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

skywake

@jump
I'm kinda of the reverse opinion on their new album TBH. I mean Beachland Ballroom is amazing but the rest of it was kinda disappointing. Ultra Mono and Joy were both better IMO.

On another note, went a bit overboard getting Vinyl over the last month. Some were gifts, some weren't. Here's the list....
The Drones - Wait Long by the River and the Bodies of Your Enemies Will Float By
Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
Green Day - nimrod.
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth
Slowdive - Pygmalion
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Unknown Mortal Orchestra

..... two things, 1. apparently everyone now knows I'm into Vinyl, 2. Getting a Christmas bonus and deciding to go into a record store probably wasn't the best idea. With that said, absolutely stoked that I picked up Smiling With No Teeth and Loveless. Haven't spun Father John Misty or Slowdive yet, figured they weren't exactly good summer holiday musics

jump

@skywake Really? Everyone I know finds Ultra Mono meh, I didn't think it was that bad but it's the album I've returned to the least. I find it abit panto like with IDLES going through the motion of being IDLES or maybe that is just the Mr Motivator song.

Touchwood there's no more restrictions coming as I've got tixs for them in a few weeks with the excellent Self Esteem and Witch Fever supporting. Self Esteem has been a pleasant discovery in the last year with her new album Prioritise Pleasure and I'm looking forward to her almost as much as IDLES.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

I love Fridays when new music comes out. 4 new tracks from some of my favourite acts are out, it's like xmas again.

New KoRn

New Muse

New Frank Turner

New Jack White

Nicolai wrote:

jump

@6ch6ris6 Yeah, I've been giving it a listen today and enjoying it. It's not breaking new ground or gonna win over new fans but at this point you wouldn't that from KoRn.

Nicolai wrote:

PhhhCough

ARNOCORPS!!
The greatest band of all time!
Check out great songs such as Total Recall, crom, last action hero, I'm ballsy, you lack discipline, and more! Feel the pump, become a hero/shero, and get your ass to Mars! GOOOOOOOOO!!

PhhhCough

6ch6ris6

@jump yeah it is "just" a really good Korn album, but i am surprised how catchy all the songs sound. only negative thing about the album is that it is realtively short

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Rambler

Was looking for something else on the Resonance FM website and found this:

http://www.dronesofhell.com/?m=1

It's the archive of Resonance FM's extreme metal show. Good growly fun

Rambler

skywake

Was browsing around and realised A Place to Bury Strangers have a new album. About what you'd expect from them, not a revolution but still pretty good if you're into it. Like discovering a lost Jesus and Mary Chain album

Rambler

@skywake
Ooh, thanks for that! I loved their first album, will have a relisten to that as well as the new one.

Honey's Dead is my fave Mary Chain record, with the Barbed Wire Kisses compilation a very near second
(Yes, Psychocandy and Darklands are great, but those two are just amazing)

Rambler

Rambler

Probably posted this before:
Kevin Martin (Bug) & Justin Broadrick (Godflesh, Napalm Death, Jesu, etc)

Rambler

Losermagnet

I've been buying into the solo Beatles albums lately and i'm enjoying them quite a bit. 'All Things Must Pass' in particular is a pretty amazing album, and ' McCartney' and 'Plastic Ono Band' are pretty good too. Go figure Harrison would outshine Lennon and McCartney once the band split.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic