Forums

Topic: Rock Music Discussion

Posts 201 to 220 of 226

jump

@Rambler yeah, metal is never a Mercury Prize type thing but I’m not sure if there’s any legit brilliant UK metal albums that could be entered this year. Maybe Bring Me The Horizon or Architects (which was okay) but I can’t think of much else.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump
Possibly Rose Golden Doorway by Pulled By Magnets, Seb Rochford's grindy sludge band.
By including that they could cover both the token jazz and metal albums.
Not heard of Architects, so will check them out

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Architects are one of the faces of the current UK scene, they are getting fairly big now too and sold out Wembley arena back when gigs were allowed. While She Sleeps are another band who are becoming the face of the UK metal scene too. Personally I’ve always been more of a punk guy than a metal guy myself so a lot of the ones I like a more of the hardcore crossover type stuff than flat out metal so I’m not that in sync with the metal scene.

Speaking of jazz metal, I was very disappointed with Shining’s new song. I’m all for experimenting with a bands sound but this seems to have just dropped any resemblance of jazz metal in favour on getting onto one of those “party hard” playlists on Spotify.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jump

First post lockdown gig booked for Gorillaz in a couple of weeks! 🤘

Nicolai wrote:

skywake

Hey, any rock fans interested in a MP3 DL code? Have one for Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork... . Picked it up on Vinyl yesterday despite already having it on CD so, spare code I'm not going to use.

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

Ah like Clockwork, that was around the time Josh started producing Artic Monkeys to start making them sound more rock n roll but it just ended up with Queens getting more indie/Britpop.

I do miss the sense of danger they had in the Rated R/Songs for the Deaf days.

Nicolai wrote:

skywake

@jump
Probably an unpopular take but IMO Like Clockwork is their best release. Villans was definitely a step back though so I agree with that but Like Clockwork is a pretty good mix. Then again, Radiohead and Blur are two of my top 3 most listened to artists over the last 10 years so I may be coming from a different angle.....

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

roy130390

I didn't even know that we had a rock thread... And you are even talking about QOTSA! Anyway, this year I discovered a band called Dead Pirates. UGO and Recorded by the devil are 2 songs that I really liked from them, if anyone is interested.

roy130390

jump

skywake wrote:

@jump
Probably an unpopular take but IMO Like Clockwork is their best release. Villans was definitely a step back though so I agree with that but Like Clockwork is a pretty good mix. Then again, Radiohead and Blur are two of my top 3 most listened to artists over the last 10 years so I may be coming from a different angle.....

Oh I think Like Clockwork is a great album, only Songs For The Deaf is better and probably their most consistent too but I just prefer the sound of Songs For The Deaf. It hits like a truck and has an intensity of creativity that made them really special at the time. It's annoying that my favourite track on it Fairweather Friends isn't played live by them despite them heavily leaning into Like Clockwork on their setlist in recent years.

Villians is an odd one, it was after he technically died and wanted a happy album but with the last year of covid and his break up with Brody perhaps he will go back to a daker sound again.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Witchfynder64

I bought tickets to see Exhumed, Last time I saw them Dr. Philthy stage dived with a chainsaw, that was the most Rock n Roll thing I've ever seen.

“Dancin' like a fly, bite like a mosquito!” -Doc Louis

jump

Witchfynder64 wrote:

I bought tickets to see Exhumed, Last time I saw them Dr. Philthy stage dived with a chainsaw, that was the most Rock n Roll thing I've ever seen.

I’ve seen a girl stage dive into a crowd of 6 people with her ending up be taken away in a hospital, Dillinger Escape pooping on stage and throwing it at the crowd, The Dwarves naked bass player piss on someone in the crowd, The Gallows frontman having a tattoo done whilst singing, Rammstein just setting fire to everything and bunch of other things over the years. However thing is as much fun as watching a rock band being rock n roll-ish it’s never as good as an act like Frank Carter, Faith No More, Bruce Springsteen, Frank Turner etc who are able to make an connection with their audience to bring them in sync with the band.

DrawingCool wrote:

@jump hi can you add me on 3ds? 2252-1212-7078

To be honest I don’t really play my 3DS much anymore, you’d probably be better off finding people to add in the below thread; https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/3ds/3ds_friend_codes13#re...

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Bizaster

@skywake Ah, a fellow fan of QOTSA! Nice.

Currently playing: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

My mean game score is 7.54/10!

DISCORD USERNAME: Bizaster#5354
INSTAGRAM: @bizasterous
FRIEND CODE: Ask me!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3465-0905-0701 | My Nintendo: RPGamer

Bizaster

@skywake @jump if I had to list my top three QOTSA albums, it would be:
1. Songs For The Deaf
2. …Like Clockwork
3. Rated R

Those three albums are probably up there with my favorites out of any band. But although …Like Clockwork was REALLY GOOD, I feel like it would have been better if they just did that style of music for just a single album. Villains tried to replicate the sound, and I think it was one of their poorest releases.

Currently playing: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

My mean game score is 7.54/10!

DISCORD USERNAME: Bizaster#5354
INSTAGRAM: @bizasterous
FRIEND CODE: Ask me!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3465-0905-0701 | My Nintendo: RPGamer

SpringDivorce

I only heard the single from Villains, it put me off the rest of the record. Sounded like it had been produced by someone that had never heard a guitar before.

Been listening to Amplifier's 'Trippin' With Dr. Faustas'. Good space/shoegaze that actually sounds a little like old Feeder in places.

SpringDivorce

jump

@SpringDivorce I remember Amplifier, much like Oceansize alternative-prog rock bands didn't really a space in the UK scene at the time so went under appreciated. To be honest I had just assumed they broke up as I stopped seeing their names at festivals.

I'm currently listening to Dinosaur Pile Up 🤘

Nicolai wrote:

jump

Thank funk that gigs and live music is happening again. Watching an entire room of thousands of strangers singing with an artist expressing themselves, the rush of throwing all of your energy into a mosh pit, the music blasting through you are all things I've miss in the last year or two.

I've seen one of my favourite tiny venue bands Hands Off Gretel and of the most innovative (in a non-gimmicky way) rock bands The Wildhearts in the last few weeks.

and I've got Frank Turner who is easily the singer that is the best at connecting with an audience I've ever seen and reggae metal legends Skindred next.

Nicolai wrote:

Losermagnet

I got my first new Rob Zombie album in years yesterday: 'The Lunar Injection Kool Aid Eclipse Conspiracy'. And y'know what? I like it! I stopped listening to Zombie ages ago, mostly because it was getting kinda dull, but I feel like this time the group was really going for a late 60s/ early 70s shtick and having fun with the tracks. It's still very much a Zombie album, but I'm glad he's doing something other than a 4x4 riff and going "HAAAAAAY YEEEEEAAAAH" all the time.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

jump

@Losermagnet Yeah it's a decent album. I don't think it's hugely different to his typical b-movie metal disco but songs like Boom, Boom, Boom do have that old classic rock feel to it. Also kudos to him for making lyrics like boom boom boom not sound like a Vengaboys eurothrash song.

Although I probably shouldn't be listened to as I liked Hellbilly Deluxe 2 which everyone seems to hate.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Lugazz

@jump I listen Black Label Society! SDMF!

Lugazz

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic