Forums

Topic: Rock Music Discussion

Posts 241 to 260 of 282

Rambler

@Kermit1
Red's not the best album by bands on that list (although it is incredible) but I would argue it is the best KC album.

Tago Mago by Can, Neu!75 by Neu!, Spiderland by Slint, Loveless by My Bloody Valentine, and Red by King Crimson are a good selection.
They're all a bit old, but are all quite different and geographically wide ranging (Germany, USA, Ireland, UK)

Oh and with Loveless, play it first at normal volume, then at quite a low volume, then play it as loud as physically possible. It sounds different in each case!

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Kermit1doesmath

@Rambler I like old music (I like those sounds)

I will definitely give a listen to all those to see if I any of like em.

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

jump

@Rambler My Bloody Valentine, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Fugazi all have swearing in them. I don't know the others well enough but they probably have naughty words like ******sucker or ***face or Boris Johnson in their lyrics.

Swear words are a powerful form of expression and not just trying to be edgy so I'm struggling to think of any artists who would be willing take away words which would allow them to articulate themselves even if the bulk of their work isn't sweary.

Maybe Weezer as they have an intentional lame/nerd vibe to them even though that is what makes them cool and I can't remember any of their major songs have ***** in them. Although at this point, I'd think they would be better off just listening to Rasta Mouse and The Wiggles! ;p

@WoomyNNYes Peaches is awesome. I kinda lost interest in her when she went through that rock phases and had to get back into a few years ago.

Her lives shows are mental, she has back up dancers dressed up vaginas and it's not shock shtick like Gwar but making a clever point like art should be doing plus her music slaps.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump
You'll be pretty hard pressed to hear the swearing in the valentines - or any of the lyrics for that matter!

I'm trying to think of which gy!be track has swears - BBF3?

Fugazi - yeah they probably do, but not like Minor Threat!

Rambler

jump

@Rambler One of their albums is called All Lights ****** On The Hairy Amp Drooling.

Would it be cheating to suggest Rammstein since most of their lyrics aren't in English?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump
Ah, you'd be hard pressed to find a copy and actually play it as about 50 copies were released on casette only.
Plus they're mostly instrumental

(Having said that, the song titles on the third album are a bit sweary!)

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

jump

@Rambler They have just re-released it a few months ago, it's why it came to mind that they are a despicable band of sinners using disgusting naughty words who are as equally as bad as Limp Bizkit, KoRn and Red Hot Chili Peppers!

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Really? Ill have to get a copy of that.

I wonder if there is a tally for band / singer with the most swearing? I imagine that the Super Furry Animals win it for a single song, but over a career there must be a few contenders.

I'm going with ice cube, although he is not very rock, really

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I actually saw an article about that before, Lil Wayne is the most sweary artist and it was something like 1 in every 30 words he swears. Rap overall is very sweary and it was then broken down to top three artists per genre. Kings Of Leon were on the indie list which surprised me as I thought there would be more sweary artists than them.

I just had a google and it's below but from 2016. Also no Limp Bizkit which is surprising, I'm not a fan of them myself but I thought they are the sort of act who overly relies on swearing. They also consider "lust" a bad word so I'm taking this list less seriously now.

http://lab.musixmatch.com/profanity_representative_artists/#:...

Nicolai wrote:

Losermagnet

@jump late reply but that NIN show looked amazing. I've seen them once with the venue being at a pavillion (cant remember the name). There was a thunderstorm during 'Hurt' which was the perfect dramatic accompaniment lol.

I went to a record store a few days ago and found some Captain Beefheart cds that seem to be out of print. Picked up 'Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)' and 'Doc at the Radar Station'. They were good finds but no 'Trout Mask Replica' unfortunately. And they didn't have any Swans albums which have been my other obsession lately.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Rambler

@Losermagnet
Swans are immense. I still can't get over how loud and aggressive they were when they started.
There was something in the air in the late 70s early 80s - Throbbing Gristle, Swans, Mars, Birthday Party, all the power electronics bands, the crust punk bands, merzbow, early Napalm Death.
Some sort of switch was flipped about 79ish and suddenly extreme music just appeared.

There's obviously antecedents in stuff like the velvets and suicide, and the music concrete / noise composers, but the loudness and agression (esp Swans) in non-classical stuff is just mad.

Edit: and TMR is just one of the best albums ever

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Rambler

Can't recommend Hiss by Wormrot enough.

It's mainly grindcore, but is mainly that as a baseline into metalcore, hardcore, etc with a sense of style and playfulness. Has violins and everything!
Of course it is extreme, but it's never dull or samey, so is very interesting as well as hugely entertaining.

Edit: god that was poorly written. Anyway, the sentiment stands

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

skywake

Just saw this post....

Rambler wrote:

Kermit1 wrote:

Can anyone recommend me a good (clean, language wise) rock band.

[....]
My Bloody Valentine

I mean, I can't think of a specific lyric with "language" in it by MBV but I'm not sure you've read any of their lyrics if they're the first artist you think of as an answer to this question. I think it's fair to say, their lyrics are generally pretty explicit....

Kinda reminds me of a clip I saw a while ago with Bill Nye in it and he's explaining some sciencey thing to a bunch of kids. Then he starts for some reason singing Be Aggressive by Faith No More. Probably not the best song to sing in that scenario. Really, I don't think people ever read the lyrics

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

I still think @Kermit1Pineapple should try Rammstein. All of the excitement of a big hard rock band but with a language barrier so he can't understand the naughty sinful words.

@skywake It depends on the person but I agree casual listeners don't seem to listen to lyrics beyond the catchy chorus. Like if I see someone such as Frank Turner the crowd will sing along to every line for 70% of all the songs but yeah alot of people don't. I remember my missus started getting into The Misfits as she liked their earlier sound and I asked if she's following the lyrics along and she said no so I pointed out they lyrics were "I got something to say, I killed a baby today, And it doesn't matter much to me, As long as it's dead" but she kinda ignore me and carried on listening anyway.

It's bit of a same really as I've always enjoyed the poetic nature of lyrics and thinking them over plus a few bands put some interesting concepts and ideas into my head when I was growing up.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@skywake
The lyrics to mbv songs are filth, but only sueisfine has swearing, I think?

The lyrics to Be Aggressive are brilliantly funny and definitely not for kids!!!

@Jump - David Pajo from Slint, Tortoise, Stereolab, etc did a lovely acoustic cover of the Misfits' Last Caress. Makes those lyrics sound even more freaky!

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Is it odd that the first David Pajo band that came to my mind was Zwan?

It is lovely but also TOO lovely for a shock horror song, although the way it's sung does draw you in to make you put more effort into listening to words and therefore more aware of the lytics so maybe it does work.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Lol! I don't think I've listened to Zwan, even though they've been on my list forever.
I do think the pumpkins get a bad rep. Corgan to my mind seems to behave the same as Black Francis or J Mascis when it comes to band members. Being a whiney git is pretty low down in the list of rockstar bad behaviour.

Rambler

jump

Rock am Ring (which I've always been desperate to go to) is making all the news a lot this week.

I've always been in two minds about Pantera's reunion, no Abbott brothers and Anselmo is a ******* **** makes me go eww but I would have loved to see Pantera in their heyday and chances are they were gonna pop up at a festival I was going to anyway so I might of seen them that way. However their festival spots this year are slowly being cancelled as too many acts on the same bill are refusing to play with them there.

So to make up for it Rock am Ring have pulled off getting Foo Fighters which means it looks like they have chosen to carry on without Taylor. I wonder who their new drummer will be, as a guess Joey Castillo formerly of Queens Of The Stone Age as he’s been taking touring spots with The Bronx and Circle Jerks recently and as much as like The Bronx Joey is way more talented than that.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/foo-fighters-replace-pantera-at...

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic