Forums

Topic: Rock Music Discussion

Posts 181 to 200 of 204

Munson

Losermagnet wrote:

That led to KMFDM, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Front 242, Skinny Puppy, The Revolting Cocks, Fear Factory, and others. I've seen KMFDM 2 or 3 times live, Ministry once (with Revco.), and NIN once. Industrial metal is my comfort zone with metal I think. It had so much more depth than what I was listening to before (stuff like Slipknot. Another decent band, but not really for me). Industrial metal can be violent, groovy, funny, and/or political...sometimes within the same song.

This post brings back some memories. I saw Ministry about 10 times between the Land of Rape and Honey and the Psalm 69 albums. Those shows were always cool because Al would always play songs from his side projects. Ian MacKaye would come out and do some Pailhead songs. They would also do some Revco, 1000 Homo DJs songs. During TLORAH tour Ogre did some Skinny Puppy songs. I got to witness the popularity of NIN grow over about a three year span. I saw them play a show at the Calvert Street Cafe in Baltimore in front of around 100 people right when Pretty Hate Machine came out to playing the Baltimore Arena for the Downward Spiral tour. Front 242 always had great light show and Skinny Puppy was always great for the theatrics. Too Dark Park is still one of my favorite albums from this era.

Switch Friend Code 8013-8953-0906
AC name: Brutus

Munson

Bizaster wrote:

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all doing well. I have a new question for today!

Today’s question is:
What is your FAVORITE ALBUM and what is your FAVORITE TRACK FROM IT?

I’m a little late to this one.
The Replacements - Sorry Ma, Forgot to take out the Trash
Song - I’m in Trouble

Losermagnet

@Munson to be a fan during those burgeoning years sounds awesome. By the time I was 13, Wax Trax had folded and it seemed like I was lucky to find anything other than the most well-known industrial groups. I've been thinking of dipping back into the genre, any group recommendations? I pretty much named all the bands that I actively listen to in my earlier post.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Munson

@Losermagnet
Some of the older industrial albums really sound dated now, IMO. But I would recommend checking out
Meat Beat Manifesto - 99%
These guys opened for NIN at a small club in Baltimore. Hottest show I have ever been to. NIN came through Baltimore at least four times during Pretty Hate Machine.

Nitzer Ebb - That Total Age

Dessau - Exercise in Tension
I think Al Jourgensen produced one of the songs.

Some other bands to check out
Front Line Assembly
Die Warzau
A Split Second
The Young Gods
My Life with Thrill Kill Cult
Pigface - kind of industrial super group started but Martin Atkins.

I don’t listen to most of this stuff anymore. I can’t really say how much of this holds up today.

Bizaster

Hey everyone! I’m back with a new DOUBLE question today.

Here’s an interesting one:
What’s a band that YOU LIKE but everyone seems to HATE? And for the second question, it’s the first one vice versa - what’s a band that YOU HATE but everyone seems to LIKE?

-

For the band I like everyone seems to hate, it probably has to be Weezer. People LOVE slandering them nowadays for being “incel” music (I personally don’t see it).

And for the bands I hate that everyone seems to enjoy - Alice In Chains and Radiohead.

Currently playing: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

My mean game score is 7.54/10!

DISCORD USERNAME: Bizaster#5354
INSTAGRAM: @bizasterous
FRIEND CODE: Ask me!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3465-0905-0701 | My Nintendo: RPGamer

Bizaster

I don’t like Alice In Chains because I hate Layne Staley’s voice and in my opinion, every one of their songs sounds exactly the same (it just all seems overly loud to me). I do like Would? though.

And I don’t like Radiohead because their songs are WAY too slow and depressing for me. The one song I like by them is… well, the obvious one, Creep. I don’t like most people who like it, however, because the majority of people who enjoy it are people who blame women for things that they have no control over - incels.

SpringDivorce

Oooh, dissing Staley is fightin' talk to me. Have you ever seen the unplugged set? Absolutely magical.

I really have no time at all for Metallica, I just find their songs too long, the soloing tedious, and I don't understand how they became so big. Oh well.

SpringDivorce

jump

So Hellfest have just announced their line up for next year. It's like Hellfest has decided to have a big wiener contest and just slapped Rock am Ring, Download and the other rawk festivals around. The Nine Inch Nails day has been curated brilliantly and as impressive as the headliners are the undercard is so good too.

Touchwood I can get tixs and then I will have the insane task of deciding between clashes.

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

SpringDivorce

Woah. I'm massively surprised to see Deftones topping a bill while Korn are only second. Just had the impression for some reason that Korn were the more commercially successful of the two.

SpringDivorce

jump

@SpringDivorce I'd say thay are very close but KoRn are always touring so it's less of an occasion to see them. I've seen Korn at their own gig maybe twice but I've seen then about ten times as they are at the festivals so often.

Hellfest is bit of a weird fest anyway with it's booking, like The Offspring have headlined it before and now they are 3rd down on the mainstage. That Deftones is great too as the main two stages are clashless so the day goes The Offsrping, Five Finger Death Punch, The Dropkick Murphys, Volbeat, Deftones.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Lugazz

@jump Man I would love to go to Hellfest, and that lineup for 2022 is great!
Alas, I don't plan to be living in France anymore, future is still quite foggy to buy tickets

Lugazz

Bizaster

@jump ooh, that looks exciting! I’ll be looking forward to performances by GNR and Metallica. Also, I didn’t know that Deep Purple and Whitesnake were still around!

jump

@Bizaster In all honesty I may have to skip seeing Metallica and Gun n Roses if I do get tixs. I've seen them both before and they are clashing with The Exploited who I've somehow never managed to see and Monster Magnet who are one of my personal favourite bands plus I've seen Metallica so many times already. I once went 3 years in a row seeing them as they just play ever fest I went to.

If I was to limit it to 5 bands I'm most excited to see it would probably be the awesome Frank Carter plus as he's not big outside of the UK it means he's got a low mainstage spot so he's not gonna clash with someone big, Monster Magnet who are lyrically one of my favourite bands ever, The Distillers as I've not seen them since they have reformed and I was very drunk when I did see them, NIN as they are one of the greatest live bands I've ever seen and Volbeat who are just really fun live.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

The breadth of music at that festival is fantastic!
Something for everybody who likes rock and metal.

ATR and NMA on the same night and stage is an odd mix.

Would've thought Godflesh and Napalm Death would both be headliners. Having Om and High on Fire seems like a missed opportunity to have Sleep do some tunes (or tune).

Rambler

Rambler

@Slowdive
The issue I've always had with Lush is that they started out as an excellent shoegazer band then morphed into a fairly mainstream (if very successful) generic indie band.

The Chameleons were brill though.

Rambler

Rambler

@Slowdive
I didn't know that about Lush! Will have to check out the new stuff!
Ride did a couple of albums recently, but I wasn't too take with them (unlike the albums Mission of Burma did when they reformed which were brilliant).

Among my school friends a lot stick to music from the school days, and I imagine that a lot of people do view their music like that - they have their bands and singers and it's not really going to change.
From general online comments, this seems to manifest itself in that "modern" music is rubbish.
Nothing wrong with liking what you like, just a pity that it has to come out as a disparaging online comment on the tastes of others.

Considering the above makes me look like some sort of uber-music snob, I'll admit to being disillusioned with modern guitar bands of the indie rock variety.
That's just me though, I'm sure that The Kids will love them.

Rambler

jump

Rambler wrote:

Considering the above makes me look like some sort of uber-music snob, I'll admit to being disillusioned with modern guitar bands of the indie rock variety.
That's just me though, I'm sure that The Kids will love them.

There's a few newish indies who I think are good like Wolf Alice (it took me seeing them live to get into them first), Fontaines D.C., IDLES, Phoebe Bridgers, Royal Blood etc but looking at the Mercury Prize announcement it does come off as a bit dull at the momennt. Time to get into dubstep instead or is that fad over yet? ;p

Also has Slowdive quit the forum again as all of his posts are missing so it looks people are talking to an imaginary friend.

At the moment I've listening to The Pretty Reckless,

and Zack Wylde,

and Creeper

Any fans of these in the house?

Nicolai wrote:

Bizaster

@jump hey, I’ve been listening to The Pretty Reckless as well! Love the songs they did with the Soundgarden folks & Tom Morello.

jump

@Bizaster Tom Morello is on a right tear at the moment and seems to be doing loads of “featuring Tom Morello” songs. He’s worked with Frank Carter, The Bloody Beetroots, Pussy Riot, The Pretty Reckless and a few more in the last couple of years. Its probably because after Prophets of Rage split up so they can reform Rage Against The Machine which was then canned because they couldn’t tour with the lockdown restrictions he’s been keeping himself busy just doing collaborations instead.

The Pretty Reckless on paper just sounds like it shouldn’t work, a teenage actress from a tween drama wants to be a rock star now just screamed rubbish but they are a legit good rock band, and not even they have a couple of good songs good, their albums are filled with deep cuts. I feel like I should apologise to them as I could of seen them during their early/first album days in a small club but I had just assumed it was something like Paramore which I was too cool for and my mates saw them without me.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Ironically (in the Alanis Morisette way), this is the first year I seem to have a bit from the Mercury list, with Hannah Peel, Sault and the Floating Points / Pharaoh Sanders / LSO album.
Once again metal is conspicuous by its absence.

I do like a bit of dubstep, but it prefer that stuff that sounds like instrumental grime, rather than the Casper or Skrillex stuff.
Get yourself some Footwork/Juke mixtapes

Anyway, er rock. I've been listening to Filth by Swans quite a bit recently:

Rambler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic