Forums

Topic: NintendoLife Artists Thread

Posts 801 to 820 of 2,548

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras At the risk of repeating myself: your skill is definitely improving. Looks pretty damn good.
If I would have painted it, I would have used some dry brushes/washes to pull out the higher parts, though.

What I mean by that is for example the head, arms and legs. Brush them lightly with a broad brush (or a brush that you've cut the tip off, so that you have a short and broad end) with a lighter paint, such as off-white, and let it dry out on the brush a bit, or smear it out on a piece of paper or cardboard, and then lightly brush the eye sockets, nose bone and cheek bones so that the skeleton becomes a bit more natural, and then it also emphasizes the raised bits, for a bit more contrast. (edit: and the same for the raised parts of the arms and legs, obviously)

You can do the same with the raised parts of the clothes and do the reverse with the lower parts of all the metal bits. On the clothes, I would have used a slightly lighter green, and I would make the metal look tarnished, so I'd probably use black for that.

Mind you, it still looks good as it is, but I'd go for a more gritty look, as if he has actually just risen from the grave.

EDIT:
Alternatively, you could also have painted all the weapons and armor all in black, and then do a gold, silver or any other kind of metallic dry brush afterwards, to emphasize the raised bits, and get that authentic used/tarnished weapon and armor look.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras It probably sounds advanced if you've never heard of it before, but the act itself isn't that complicated. Later this week, I'll go into my personal archives, and see if I can dig up some of my old Dungeons & Dragons figurines, with which I can show you what I mean. That is: if I can actually find them.

If not, then I'll find some examples online. It's really cool stuff, once you get the hang of it/get used to it, and it raises the quality of figurines from nice (or even great) looking plastic models to professional, artistic looking models. Over here in the city, there's Games Workshop stores, where they sell all the Warhammer and Warhammer 20K stuff, and they also give paint classes. I don't know if you have something similar somewhere in your area as well, but otherwise, the links that I gave you some time ago, also contain a couple of tutorials on the matter.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Yes. They are usually made from some kind of tin alloy, and quite a bit smaller than your figurines, so patience and a sharp eye (or a lamp with a magnifying glass) required....

Here's an example of a shop that sells the kinds of unpainted figurines that I used to buy, to give you an idea:
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures/nolzur.html

Some of the larger figurines need to be put together from loose parts, so a bit of glue is needed before adding the primer coat:
https://muy.troyathenshoops.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
Because these figurines are made from metal, you first need to coat them in primer, as a base, and then color them. Primers come in white, grey or black, so depending on how the final figurine is supposed to look, you choose an appropriate primer.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras I actually got into collecting and painting those figurines through friends. We used to play D&D games online and on board games, and I read a lot of fantasy series, so learning to paint figurines, which are also sometimes used as set pieces on a board game, was more or less the next natural step.

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX Nice! Today I got my First D&D games. The Collection of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 for the Switch and I got the other one Icewind Dale + Planescape Torment (Switch) waiting to be delivered.

Just passed the tutorial of Baldur's Gate 1 and it is a little overwhelming but the journey will be worth it!

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras If you find that you like it, and if you also like to read books/fantasy novels, then I've got "a couple" of recommendations for you in that department...

EDIT:
Those are great games, by the way.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Matthew010

Finished this one a couple of days ago - my drawing using only coloured pencils of movie Sonic!
Untitled

Edited on by Matthew010

Matthew010

1UP_MARIO

@Matthew010 looks really good. 👍🏻

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Anti-Matter

Oh, btw.
My Anthro Wolf Wolfgang as Boxer and Kickboxer for this month.
Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

1UP_MARIO

@Anti-Matter nice high quality picture. He seems like warios friend

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Anti-Matter

My Anthro Ox Billy as Boxer and Kickboxer for March 2020.
Untitled

Untitled

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

My Anthro Dog George as Boxer and Kickboxer for May 2020.
Untitled

Untitled

Anti-Matter

DenDen

@Anti-Matter Nice!

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen