Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 2,101 to 2,120 of 2,363

blindsquarel

Aquaman is the best DCEU movie, but the dark knight is the best dc movie. Arguably one of the greatest movies of all time.

blindsquarel

Losermagnet

@jump I was reading up on it in IMDB and, unsurprisingly, Wright put in a great effort for authenticity and detail. Ellie was a good character and things like the dance numbers were really well done. I think when it tried to lean into horror in the second half is where it really came apart for me. Not bad, but perhaps the Edgar Wright film I enjoyed the least.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Rambler

I watched Commando for the first time in ages last night. It was rubbish

Rambler

gcunit

I'm just coming off the back of stumbling into watching Long Shot, and I as it started I was thinking, 'I'm never gonna watch all this, this'll just be some run-of-the-mill 5/10 US-style rambling film and I should be going to bed' but I legit really enjoyed it and honestly think it's the best modern rom-com I've seen in a long time. That's partially explained by the complete absence of decent rom-coms in recent years, but still... it was good fun from start to finish. Not consistently great throughout, but has enough moments spaced across the film to carry you through.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

jump

@Rambler I can't remember the last time I watched Commando but I think I liked it. However the bit at the end where Arnie and the bad guy meet is so weird and sticks in my head still. Suddenly it's like Arnie is a parent talking to his child on the spectrum telling him not to fight with a gun so the baddie starts screaming he doesn't need a gun and throws the loaded gun like he's having a tantrum, it just made him comical before serious showdown.

@gcunit yeah Long Shot was alright, I really liked the scene when Rogen realises his friend is a republican and certain motivational things he's been saying to him is conservative talk so he has a break down.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump I think I approached the film wrong. If I treated like a story written by a 10 year old who was allowed to use swearing and violence, then that might account for the weird logic and nonsensical explosions.

Music was excellent though!

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I read alot of Jeph Loeb's, the movie writer, work before. He got fed up with the movie industry* and became a comic book writer since he enjoyed it more so then as he had experience in both comics and movies he became of head of Marvel TV with iffy results until Feige the guy behind the Marvel movies had enough and took over.

Sometime he writes bloody great stuff like Batman The Long Halloween, one of the great Batman comics but when he writes badly, it is so BAD.

*I listen to a podcast where they interview famous comic writers and artists, on his episode he told a story once about how he became a producer for a mid-tier blockbuster which I can't remember it's name. If it was just a so-so sucess it would have been his biggest payday (even more than his hit movies like Teen Wolf or Commando) and then he could semi-retire. They chose a release date a week after Titanic as they were expecting it to flop but it ended up they wouldn't even show his film as every cinema just wanted more Titanic films from that point.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump - that's terrible about the film (not) competing with Titanic! They could've waited!

Wikipedia tells me that the story was his, while the screenplay for Commando was written by someone else. Of course, credits for screenplays can be a bit iffy and sometimes seem to revolve around contracts rather than who wrote what.

It didn't help that it was shown after Knives Out, which is a great attempt at a tongue-in-cheek murder mystery romp.

A different director might've been the thing for me.

Rambler

jump

@Rambler getting into credits is just insane at times, my other half works in the movies and it's like flipping a coin when her name gets into a credit or not. The films she's spent months working on and gets given crew merch for doesn't get a credit but the quick 2 week job she did does get a credit.

It was loads of fun but Knives Out bugged me as I'm good out figuring out the mysteries and plot twists in films so when they tell you whodunnit so early in the whodunnit I didn't even get a chance to guess!

Nicolai wrote:

Tendo64

Roughly five hours until I go and watch an advance screening of The Batman at IMAX!

I'll be in here straight after to spoil it for everyone. 😁

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

OldManHermit

Saw Willow(1988) at a local theatre last weekend. Incidentally my first time going out to see a movie since before the pandemic. One of my childhood favourites, lotta fun to see on the big screen with an audience. General Kael is still a badass.

OldManHermit

Gryffin

Edit: Saw it in a regular theater. Recommended.

I'm thinking about seeing Batman today. I'm going to a Regal, and they have the RPX as an option. I've never seen a movie in RPX, but maybe you have? If you've experienced RPX yourself, would you recommend it?

Edited on by Gryffin

Gryffin

blindsquarel

Can’t wait for obi wan Kenobi. Yeah I know it is technically a tv show, but it still feels like a movie.

blindsquarel

Screen

I just saw the Batman, and other calling for violence against people I thought it was really solid. 8/10

But seriously who just sticks a sketchy thumbdrive into their laptop?!

BDSP has online matchmaking!

Rambler

Watched King of New York last night (I know, I know...)

It... wasn't very good?
Christopher Walken and Laurence Fishbourne were excellent (esp Larry), and it was nice to see David Caruso acting without a monotone, but the script was more ambitious than Ferrea's direction, until the end when it fell apart.

Shame as The Addiction, The Funeral, The Blackout, Bad Lieutenant, and The Driller Killer (maybe not the last one, although it's got a bit of a fun Downtown Trash aesthetic) are all really good.

The Addiction as poss the best vampire film?

Rambler

jump

@Rambler The Addiction has a lot of competition for best vamp film. Interview With A Vampire, Nosferatu (which I’ve never actually seen), Let The Right One In, The Lost Boys, What We Do In Tbe Shadows, Only Lovers Left Alive, Bram’s Dracula and of course the most obvious contender the gloriously stupid and cheesy Vamps!

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
I would add Carl Theodore Dryer's Vampyr to that list. I've seen it with Steve Severin from the Banshees doing a live soundtrack.

Nosferatu is amazing - really good example of German expressionism.

I've not seen Only Lovers Left Alive or Trouble Everyday (Beatrice Dalle with fangs).

Ooh, also Nadja by Michael Almereyda -Elina Löwensohn, David Lynch acting and the Valentine's on the soundtrack.

Anyway, my not so watertight reasoning for The Addiction:
Christopher Walken!
Lily Taylor!
Hip Hop!
Philosophy!
High contrast b&w photography!
Hugely violent massacre!

That Coppola version of Dracula is only a horror film due to Keanu's accent.

Edit: and Herzog's remake of Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

PSVR_lover

Tendo64 wrote:

Roughly five hours until I go and watch an advance screening of The Batman at IMAX!

I'll be in here straight after to spoil it for everyone. 😁

I saw it, but not in IMAX, I need to see it in IMAX, must be a great movie that way.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Gryffin

Screen wrote:

I just saw the Batman, and other calling for violence against people I thought it was really solid. 8/10

But seriously who just sticks a sketchy thumbdrive into their laptop?!

Lol I thought the same thing. It was Skyfall all over again.

Here's my review.
My ★★★★ review of The Batman on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/2EqVm7

Gryffin

blindsquarel

Christian bale will always be Batman. Same as Tobey Maguire will always be Spider-Man. Nobody will beat them.

blindsquarel

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic