Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 6,560

RR529

Tonight I watched Star Trek: the Motion Picture (Netflix)!

I'll start this out by saying I'm not a huge Star Trek fan. That's not to say I don't enjoy it, it's just that my experience before now was limited to the occasional episode of The Next Generation or Voyager, along with the two newest films.

Now to the film itself. I liked the story itself, and thought it was interesting (especially the last twist), but I felt it dragged on a bit (1), and was a bit too out of date for my tastes (2).

1. I'm not saying it needed to be action packed or anything, as I understand Star Trek is supposed to be more of a "thinking adventure", if that makes sense. There were just too many scenes where they weren't doing anything at all.

2. Not necessarily the special effects, which I was expecting. It's just that the set & costume design weren't doing anything for me (I'm just not a fan of 70's era sci-fi design in general).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

LaserdiscGal

@RR529 Us Star Trek fans have a rule about the original films...

The odd ones suck. Go watch Wrath of Kahn.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

jump

Waluigi wrote:

Us Star Trek fans have a rule about the original films...

Well with the old ones it was, the rebooted ones seem to going the other way of even numbered sucks based on the huge data pool of two films.

I know Khan is the one everyone loves but I always prefered Undiscovered Country and First Contact.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

Waluigi wrote:

@RR529 Us Star Trek fans have a rule about the original films...

Yeah, I should be watching that one next. I think Netflix has them all (except for one or both of the newest films), so I plan on eventually going through them all.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Octane

The Jungle Book. Beautiful CGI, the rest was alright, nothing too special, but not bad either. I enjoyed it.

Octane

RR529

Saw two films since my last post.

The Minions Movie (DVD) - Watched this as a family a few nights ago. Pretty cute with a couple of laughs, but like most other Sony Animation (& even Dreamworks, TBH) films, it's nothing really special.

Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan (Netflix) - Much, much better paced than the first film. It's methodological, but keeps things interesting (I wasn't really sure how much I was into it, but then when they snuck up behind the Reliant at the end and ripped Khan a new one, I just got a huge old grin. The only thing is that end of film sacrifice loses it's impact just based on the knowledge that future films with said character exist (I'm sure it was mind blowing at the time, though). Also, with the jump into the 80's saw an improvement in both costume & set design (actual computer screens with digital imagery & diagrams!), IMO.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

the_shpydar

@RR529
Since you enjoyed Khan, i'd recommend you check out III (Search for Spock) and IV (Voyage Home), as they form an informal trilogy of sorts in the classic Trek-film franchise (in that all three directly follow the events of the previous film). Neither is as good as Khan (though mileage will of course vary), but both are rather good. III also has the bonus of setting the stage for VI (Undiscovered Country, one of the best Trek films of all), by truly establishing Kirk's utter hatred of Klingons, which is a fundamental motivator for the events that happen in VI.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Vinny

Super Troopers (2001): A comedy about goofy highway cops. The jokes were kinda hit-or-miss for me, but still had a good laugh.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

LaserdiscGal

Vinny wrote:

Super Troopers (2001): A comedy about goofy highway cops. The jokes were kinda hit-or-miss for me, but still had a good laugh.

Every single person in Vermont (my home state) has seen the film, you just insulted my culture, and for that you will die

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

RR529

I've seen a couple of films since my last post.

Disney/Pixar's Inside Out (DVD) - Usually Pixar films aren't my cup of tea, but fittingly, this one was actually quite emotional. Easily recommended.

Adventures in Babysitting (Netflix) - Since my last two Netflix movies were Star Trek flicks, I decided to take a break this week. Watched this for some cheesy 80's-ness. Nothing fantastic, but it had a laugh or two.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

Batman: Year One (2011). Great animated movie. I only found the non-painted eyes kinda distracting (they're skin colored). I don't know if it was like this on the original comic, but still...

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

jump

Vinny wrote:

Batman: Year One (2011). Great animated movie. I only found the non-painted eyes kinda distracting (they're skin colored). I don't know if it was like this on the original comic, but still...

Year One is almost just putting up the pages of the comic to the screen with people reading out the lines it's that close to the comic.

Also Walter White/Bryan Cranston who plays Gordon in it is also gonna play him again in the live action Justice League film.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

LaserdiscGal

@Pikminfan22

Hey we're streaming Deadpool tonight on Rabbit instead of tomorrow, hop on the chatroom and I'll give you the details.

LaserdiscGal

Vinny

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 (2013): Based on Frank Miller's 1986 comic of the same name. Great animation and beautiful soundtrack by Christopher Drake. The main theme is still stuck on my head.

Now I gotta watch Batman: Mask of The Phantasm.

RR529

I've seen a couple of films since my last post.

Star Trek III: the Search for Spock (Netflix) - "Great Scott Marty! What have we done to the space time continuum? I'm a Klingon!" (I seriously found that casting to be amusing). Anyhow, this one was pretty decent. Not as good as Wrath of Kahn, but still a lot better than the first.

Pleasantville (Netflix) - This one was pretty good. Two teenagers got sucked into a Leave it to Beaver like 50's family sitcom, and soon their modern real world values started to literally transform the show's universe.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

simonthomas6

Deadpool is one of the most amazing movies i've seen in months. The Deadpool in the Movie was spot on with the original Deadpool in the comics . If you haven't seen it yet I would highly recommend it.

"Captain Deadpool! No, just Deadpool."

Edited on by simonthomas6

simonthomas6

Switch Friend Code: SW-2765-4632-4215 | 3DS Friend Code: 1736-0144-0759 | Nintendo Network ID: simonthomas6

Vinny

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993). Not much to say about it, except that it's amazing.

I'll watch some Batman: TAS episodes next.

RR529

Actually saw a bunch of movies over the past couple weeks.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action (Netflix) - Realized it'd been years since I'd watched any Looney Tunes related media, so I decided to give this a go. No film masterpiece, but it was worth a few chuckles.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (DVD) - My father was getting ready to watch this a few days ago, so I sat down & watched it too. First one of these I watched, and it was actually pretty decent, in that dumb fun popcorn flick kind of way.

Ted 2 (DVD) - Another film I watched with the family (don't worry, we're all old enough). Humor wise, it's pretty much a very extended episode of Family Guy in a live action skin, and while it's the very definition of low brow, I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me laugh.

Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher (Netflix) - Animated Marvel flick, which I rather quite enjoyed. Pretty much, the two titular heroes end up roped together fighting the same organisation, and have to work together despite their differing methods (and yes, some other prominent heroes make an appearance as well). While the CGI used for certain humanoid figures was stiff, other than that the animation was done really well, with the level of detail in the character designs & environment in particular being quite a few notches above anything I've seen in any of the animated DC flicks.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

gcunit

PikminFan22 wrote:

Not a movie but I'm currently watching Breaking Bad. I just finished season 1 and now on season 2. I'm kinda meh on the show. I like the acting, but I'm not too interested in the characters and it's too slow for me lol

@PikminFan22 - sounds like you should back out now. In my experience, apart from a few highlights, it deteriorated as it went on. The setup and premise for the show was great, but as you say, its too slow, and far too much domesticity in it.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic