Forums

Topic: Wii U / 3DS eShop Exclusive Titles

Posts 261 to 269 of 269

MetaCrystal

@Tounushi Personally, I seldom used my 3DS for retro games. I am lucky enough to have the home console line from my yellowed Famicom to my Sadly patched V1 switch and a Gameboy Advance SP with a flashcart or two. I was always in the homebrew scene, so when I saw something I was missing out on, I just... downloaded it. I don't want to get into the ethics of all this but younger me was estatic.

The SNES and the Genesis have their strengths. They both do what they do so well. Nothing beats the echoed SNES sound or the Full-Sounding FM synthesis of the Genesis. Did you know that the N64 had built in audio effects, like delay too?

Tounushi

@MetaCrystal I also have all the Nintendo home consoles sans Virtual Boy, so my retro purchases are those games I don't have as original retail for the systems.
And there's a certain convenience in having them on Virtual Console, i.e. being able to put them to sleep and have a recovery point.
Case in point: Journey to Silius. I tried 20 years on and off to sit down and power through it. Completed it over three lunch breaks on Nintendo Switch Online.

When it comes to old games on Nintendo, I've parted with only a few: sold SMB3 for some months worth of bus money (money was tight at the time), Action 52 melted on me, I've lost Ocarina of Time (either somewhere in my house or someone nicked it), I traded Castlevania 64 for South Park, and I've misplaced Tales of Phantasia somewhere between the garrison further north and my house.

Tounushi

Nintendo Network ID: Tounushi

MetaCrystal

@Tounushi I know what you mean man. I am also not a VB owner (I like not being nauseated). The difference here though, is that I grew up on emulation. I've played most of my favorites emulated. My accumulated retro "stuff" is very recent, importing broken SuFamis and repairing, restoring and reselling has given me a collection excluding a gamecube, but I have a wii and a GC controller. I did have a bunch of VC games, but they quickly disappeared when I needed space; after all, I can always emulate them perfectly on my snes mini or in VR if I wanted to. Regardless of your stance on ROMs and such, Flashcarts are godsend. Journey to Silius is awesome, I have serious respect for the designers and soundtrack composer. Those bass samples are deceiving difficult to implement and code into a song. What's your favorite obscure or less popular VC game?

The SNES and the Genesis have their strengths. They both do what they do so well. Nothing beats the echoed SNES sound or the Full-Sounding FM synthesis of the Genesis. Did you know that the N64 had built in audio effects, like delay too?

MetaCrystal

Also, To be honest, I didn't really pay for much of them. Always been tight on money for hobbies like gaming and music production. It's almost by sheer luck and persistence on my part that I have this stuff.

Tounushi

MetaCrystal wrote:

What's your favorite obscure or less popular VC game?

Hooh, wow, that's a tough one... I've collected so many retro titles on 3DS and Wii U now and have only scratched the surface in going through them... Of the titles outside of Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc. I'm quite looking forward to starting up Sword of Hajya for the Game Gear.

Tounushi

MetaCrystal

Shining force games never disappoint!

Tounushi

@MetaCrystal My first Shining game was Resonance, though. I'm like three hours into it and I got sidetracked by the rest of my inflated library. I did go on to beat the Mega Drive titles on the Mega Drive Classics collection. Hajya will be my first try of the series outside of the Switch.
It's such a shame that I'll have to emulate like half the franchise and see where it flips from the cartoony style to Tony Taka sensei. I very much ..ahem.. appreciate his style.

Edited on by Tounushi

Tounushi

ralphdibny

Tyranexx wrote:

@ralphdibny Oh for sure! I picked up my OG red 3DS during my college years. That unit helped me through some crazy life changes and times in general. My main unit is now my SNES N3DS XL, but that red unit still sees some occasional use. I did have to do a battery swap at one point - back in 2017 - but thankfully Nintendo still shipped replacement batteries then. I don't really recommend playing Bravely Default while tethered to a wall.

Haha I can imagine, at least the 3ds power lead is fairly long. Well the UK one is at least, not sure how much cable you get over in the states!

Eel wrote:

ralphdibny wrote:

Eel wrote:

I somehow managed to get a new wiiu game….
Not one I wanted, mind you.

Which one?! 😅

So, the Lightwood Games Twitter account had some codes, meant to be for one of their 3DS games. But they didn’t work on the 3DS. So out of morbid curiosity I tried them on the WiiU… and it gave me Crystorld.

To add to the confusion, that game is not by Lightwood Games!

Haha nice!

Ah I didn't see that thing about RPG maker FES in time. Not that I would have done anything about it anyway, was something I was going to check out years down the line. Bit of a waste of 4 quid in the last minute sale I guess!

I was interested in the silver falls games too but I honestly just had to put a line under this whole endeavour. It was already fairly stressful and expensive and to add another franchise to it was just too much. No matter how much I appreciated the gumption of the developer!

See ya!

Tyranexx

@ralphdibny The 3DS charging cable gives some wiggle room, though it's often not advised to stray far from the seat stationed near the outlet. XD

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic