Forums

Topic: The New Art Academy artwork

Posts 161 to 180 of 332

Eel

Oh my god, that's freaking amazing!
When I saw it, I couldn't help but compare it to my original version of that lesson, and wow! It was bad before, but now it looks like total garbage. Great work!

The lighting is great, very life-like.
Is this how pencils look in the New Art Academy? Or did you use some other technique?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Shiromikio

Thanks.

Please don't say that! It's just a different approach to the same subject. I like the vigorous linework in your version, it captures the pepper well as a solid object.

Yeah, graphite pencils and a stick of some kind (lead?) I had to make a bit of effort for tones between the 2B and HB pencils. NAA's 2B is dark, almost like a real-life 4B pencil, while the HB is around B. The body of the pepper was blocked in with the side of the pencils, with spots at the top erased for highlights. Pencil tip for the stem and base of the stem, then softened to grey with the side of the pencils.

Shiromikio

Lilifish

@Kilo_Martinez I felt the same way, so I changed the avocados composition lowering it. But you got a very nice result!

@Shiromikio Lovely pepper! I agree with you about the graphite pencils, and you've done great erasing to create highlights. I still use the eraser only to fix my mistakes...

@Morphtroid I'll try to make something this weekend!

Edited on by Lilifish

Art Academy gallery: Hatena Haiku

3DS Friend Code: 3222-5739-1637

bluecat

I just went through this whole thread and wooow. Just got the game a few days ago but haven't had a chance to sit down and do a lesson (I want to be able to do one in one sitting, no stopping and saving all the time).

I had no idea you could create lessons for sharing! I'm a bit overwhelmed now, I guess I should start with the basic lessons to get comfortable with the game. The small 3DS stylus makes it hard to draw, I messed around in freestyle mode and didn't quite like how the screen reacted to my stylus. I might have to get an actual pen sized one for the game. :/

just another day...

Shiromikio

@Lilifish: thanks. Lol, my main use for the eraser is still for fixing mistakes. Terrific hand study! It captures the folds of the skin and slight variances in tone very nicely. I also like the clean hatching along the fingers, and on the statue as well.

@bluecat: welcome to the thread.

Shiromikio

Lilifish

@Shiromikio The hand mini lesson drawing reference looks like a lighting study sketch (?), and I wanted to do something more like I would do with traditional media. I still find hatching very frustrating as there are no thin lines, but it works for me with overlap blending. I think I figured out after the Venus lesson, so the hand lesson went smoothly

@akiraken Nice work! I specially like the other Pikmins in your gallery!

@bluecat Welcome! Saving is very useful when there is no undo function! I find it specially useful when I'm going to try something next that I'm not sure.

Edited on by Lilifish

Freelance

I got it today for 20 bucks. I miss the colour picker that Colours! 3D has, but it has better tools for drawing than Colours! 3D. I like to doodle crap even if I am not that great at drawing and colouring (I'd rather draw than colour anyway). I experimented with pastels.

Untitled

Edited on by Freelance

Freelance

Shiromikio

@Donjwolf: very nice drawing! Great expression on the dog's face, I also like the tousled fur lines.

Shiromikio

Kilo_Martinez

Untitled

Tried Free Paint mode for first time. I'm impressed with how well this program works despite some little annoyances. I'm happy enough with it.
I will probably still fuss over the details on this drawing but here it is for now.

3DS FC: 3609-2436-6992

Freelance

Shiromikio wrote:

@Donjwolf: very nice drawing! Great expression on the dog's face, I also like the tousled fur lines.

Thankie. I drew another pic. It was all done with pastels (even the outlines) and took a while to finish. It's Gaogamon from Digimon Savers. I like how the music notes turned out. I may not turn out awesome art like everyone else here, but I still like to draw.

Untitled

Edited on by Freelance

Freelance

Lilifish

For the second challenge, mushrooms mini lesson redone with the same materials
Untitled
I regret not using free paint mode, because the final result didn't change much. But by the other side, it is good to compare my limitations.

Edited on by Lilifish

Eel

That's great! Is that one of the lessons from New Art Academy?
I love mushrooms. Just their looks, I don't really enjoy eating them that much.
They're so mushy~

Bloop.

Lilifish

@Morphtroid Thank you! It's the first mini lesson from NAA. I do buy lots of mushrooms, and you just gave me an idea: next time I buy different kinds of mushrooms, I'll try to make a composition and draw/paint them

Freelance

Great pic, although I hate mushrooms XD

I drew this realistic version of Growlithe. I have it coloured too but my colouring is awful so I'll spare you the horror. Tried Furret first but it came out horribad.

Untitled

Edited on by Freelance

Freelance

Eel

It's time for the 3rd Random Challange! Thanks to everyone who participated on the last challange

This week's theme is Art Deco!
Go crazy with bold lines and round corners to create an art deco desing or scene.

Bloop.

Sasha_086

So how can I receive custom lessons... All of the artwork is really inspiring me

Sasha_086

Shiromikio

@Donjwolf: very nice line drawings, I like the way you illustrate muzzle and fur.

@Morphtroid: I'll see what I can dig up. It's not a style I usually draw from, if ever.

@Sfairfax2540: Depends which region you're in. JP and EU each got an official custom lesson (none for NA yet afaik), maybe you could ask someone to send them to you. If you have Spotpass enabled for NAA (check settings if you're not sure), it'll notify you when there's a custom lesson available.

Shiromikio

Sasha_086

O ok... I'm from the US

Sasha_086

Kilo_Martinez

Untitled

Sketch of Michelangelo's David.

3DS FC: 3609-2436-6992

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic