IRONFALL Invasion, the free-to-play 3DS eShop exclusive from VD-DEV, has achieved an impressive number of downloads since its launch in February. It's been announced that the indie-effort has been downloaded more than 300,000 times worldwide so far; the initial download is free and gives limited access to the single-player and online multiplayer options, with three one-off payment options to unlock more.
When we spoke to the developer around the time of its launch, it was emphasized that gamer feedback on the third-person shooter would be gathered, with a patch to tweak and improve the experience already being in the works. It's now been confirmed that, with comments on Miiverse and Twitter contributing, that first major patch is available now on the 3DS eShop.
The changelog is below, including how it affects those playing the free version and others that have bought more content.
New features for all IRONFALL Invasion players:
- In the Controls menu of the game's settings, the "Aim Sensitivity" and "Camera Sensitivity" sliders have been expanded with more increments to allow for finer tuning according to the player's preference.
- In Multiplayer: in the "free-for-all" game mode, players who leave a game before the end have their score reset.
- In Multiplayer: the range of the "shock gun" item has been increased.
- In Multiplayer: the damage and bullet statistics of the "grenade launcher", "explosive rifle" and "shotgun" items have been adjusted accordingly to reflect balance issues noticed in user comments.
- In Multiplayer: the respawn algorithm has been improved.
- During a sprint, it is now easier to turn left and right.
- The U-turn command (pressing back twice) has been improved to decrease involuntary U-turns; it is now necessary to press back twice in a faster way than before.
New features for players having purchased IRONFALL Invasion content:
- In Multiplayer: when joining a quick online match, it is possible for players to filter out the "Tanks (Demo)" map from their quick online match search, to allow for more variety in the automatic selection of arenas.
- In Multiplayer: players will now remain invincible for 4 seconds when they respawn.
- In Multiplayer: players will now also receive credits if they finish in second place.
- It is now possible to take cover while sprinting.
- There is now an additional lock-on on the vertical (Y) axis in aim mode.
There are plenty of tweaks there, and it'll be interesting to see how players react to the changes, and how well the game will do in the coming months.
Have you tried IRONFALL Invasion yet, or are you yet to pick it up?