E3 2014: Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Confirmed for 21st November

Posted by Andrew Karklins

Additional footage and Mega Evolutions also shown

Today's Nintendo Digital Event has unveiled new details in relation to the upcoming Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Alpha Sapphire games for the Nintendo 3DS.

Firstly, the release date for the upcoming games were revealed. Unlike the launch of Pokémon X & Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire will launch on November 21, 2014 in Japan and North America. The titles will reach Europe one week later on November 28th, 2014.

Also, additional footage of the games was shown in the form of a trailer and various screen shots. The trailer confirms the three-dimensional battles of Pokémon X & Y will be returning, as well as showing a similar character design to the original GBA titles. The three-dimensional overworld was also shown, showcasing many iconic locations of the original titles such as Fortree City.

Mega Evolutions also made an appearance in the footage. The three Hoenn starters, Mudkip, Torchic, and Treecko, were all confirmed to have the ability to Mega Evolve.

The two title legendaries, Kyogre and Groudon, were also shown performing a unique transformation. Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon were seen, and besides this, nothing more was learned.

The official Hoenn map was also revealed sporting an update visual style.

[via serebii.net]

Theober555

Theober555 said:

Irritated about the European release being a week later, but still excited regardless!

BLPs

BLPs said:

Alright, so it is in Hoenn. Take that non-believers!

But...why am I and many others waiting a week? Didn't they say WW releases were to be the norm after working so hard to achieve them? I mean, the game is already translated and ready to go at that point clearly.

Oh that's right, Game Freak goes back on their good ideas as of Gen 6.

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

When I first saw the trailer with the kid exploring the sorroundings of a lake, I thought it was another Zelda announcement. Seconds later I was proven wrong.

Omega and Alpha, eh? Nintendo is getting more daring with the religious references. The days of Devil World not being released in America are long gone!

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

@Stubborn_Monkey Uh, you do know that Alpha is the first letter in the Greek alphabet and Omega is the last, right? Alpha and Omega represents the beginning and the end. It is used in many contexts, not just as a religeous reference.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Aaaaaaaaaaand Europe is the last wheel once again. Well, one week won't kill me, as I'll be playing SSB by then.

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

Yeah, where did the map come from? I can't find it anywhere in the video; are there screenshots elsewhere in E3?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Pokemon is a fad, it will never last.

I can only imagine how many people were saying that when these games first came out. The original versions.

Nearly 2 months after SSB should keep sales from potentially being affected, so its a good date. Well except for Eyou.

SNESuperior

SNESuperior said:

Gah, no stereoscopic 3D once again. That's all I really wanted from these games. Is that too much to ask for Game Freak???

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

Whoa...am I seeing things, or are there more areas to explore in what was once an endless void of ocean?! :o

"The three Hoenn starters, Mudkip, Torchic, and Treecko, were all confirmed to have the ability to Mega Evolve."

@MrAndrewxK It's actually their second-stage Evolutions (Swampert, Blaziken and Sceptile, respectively) which can Mega Evolve. :)

MattEriks

MattEriks said:

hope that mega Sceptile gets a status change and gets higher attack than special attack :)

PokeMasters

PokeMasters said:

Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre are about twice the size of their normal forms... I wonder if that will translate to the 3DS screen... unlike some other Pokemon looking at you Wailord

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Looks incredible and a day before my birthday!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?? Looks life there will be new areas (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and Poké Marts?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!? Why are those back??????? Ugh, well it is a remake, seems lazy to me.....

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

Still have no idea where people got the map from. Am I missing some gameplay or something? D:
EDIT: Found it on the official pokemon.com website.

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

Another Day One for me, gonna pre-order as soon as it's available. I'm a sucker for Pokémon ): hehe