New Taiko Drum Master Game Revealed for 3DS

Posted by Jake Shapiro

...in Japan, that is. Alas.

Popular Namco rhythm series Taiko no Tatsujin (known as Taiko: Drum Master in the West) will get a new instalment on 3DS in Japan, as reported by Famitsu. Entitled Taiko Drum Master: Don and Katsu’s Space-Time Great Adventure, the new drumming game will arrive 26th June for ¥4,740 (roughly $46 or £28). It will support four-player multiplayer, and features an RPG-style Space-Time Great Adventure Mode. Development on the title is reportedly three quarters finished.

None of the entries in the Taiko no Tatsujin series have been released in Europe, and only one has been released in North America — 2005's Taiko: Drum Master on PlayStation 2 and mobile devices. However, the drumming franchise is a mainstay of modern arcades in Japan with its large, colourful cabinets and iconic drum controllers.

Have you played any of the Drum Master titles? Considering the popularity of rhythm games like Dance Dance Revolution and Rock Band in the West, why hasn't Bandai Namco brought more Taiko to the rest of us? If Elite Beat Agents can be an international critical darling, surely Don and Katsu’s Space-Time Great Adventure can, too.

[via gematsu.com]

SteveSnowmn

SteveSnowmn said:

I had the DS game and a few of the Japanese PS2 versions. Such a fun game. Too bad we will likely never see another one in the west.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

Kawaiiiiiiii~ it's a shame that a lot of Japanese influenced games like this never make it out to the west I like Japanese cutesy things for their art style and approach hopefully it does come out here at some point

therube

therube said:

i bought all of the DS and PSP games while I was in Taiwan; even modded my Wii solely so I could play the Taiko no Tatsujin. still, one taiko game is is good as another, basically. I cannae justify the expense of continuing to import MORE drum games, love them though I might. Especially as I'd have to buy a Japanese 3DS.

they'll never release these games intact in the west- the cost of licensing the tracks outweighs the profits in issuing a niche music title. we get Rhythm Heaven and Project Diva only because the music is original. only about 1/5 of the music in any given taiko game fits that description.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Nintendo really should remove that stupid region lock. I have to give Kudos to how Sony manages it. Love playing Gundam Extreme Vs Full boost on my PS3 :)

Cengoku

Cengoku said:

Having a Jap 3DS, I love playing the first Taiko 3DS but it lacks online DLC (on Wii u, they give us 4 songs per month since 6 months).

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

The only Taiko no Tatsujin game ever released in the West was for the PS2. That's pretty much it.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I got into this series by importing the first one to come out on PSP. Shame we can't really do that on 3DS without the expensive/risk of buying a whole new device.

kotah22

kotah22 said:

I got my import of Dororon! Yokai Daikessen on DS. Too bad 3DS is out of the question. :(

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

These games are so much fun, the DS games were just hands-down awesome. Although Ouendan takes the cake for my favorite music game on DS, Taiko was a super close second!

Chandeliera

Chandeliera said:

I've never played any of these games, but I loved the hell out of EBA! it is definitely one of my favourite games. Honestly though, its clear a game like this wouldn't take off in the west, its just too.... japanese. Just look at ouendan and EBA, sure its easy enough to change the characters/stages/songs/story - but the basic mechanics of the games remained the same.

How could you possibly westernize a game like this?

kirbygirl

kirbygirl said:

@therube

For me, the more recent entries in the Taiko series on the DS and 3DS are different enough to justify importing them. Their story modes are pretty distinct.

I loved Little Dragon & the Mysterious Orb, and I'm looking forward to trying Don and Katsu's Space-Time Big Adventure soon. These two games alone have made importing a Japanese 3DS worth it for me.