The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Confirmed for Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Martin Watts

Swinging on to Nintendo systems next spring

Activision and Marvel Entertainment have announced a new video game based on the upcoming feature film The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is coming to Wii U and 3DS next spring.

Developed by Beenox — the studio also responsible for the Wii U and Wii versions of last year's The Amazing Spider-Man — to coincide with the release of film, this new third-person action-adventure game promises to provide players with an improved open-world gameplay experience that takes place in the webslinger's usual stomping ground of New York.

The story will not focus exclusively on the events of the new film, and will instead offer an alternative perspective. If it's anything like the last game then it could well be set after the second movie.

Thomas Wilson, Co-Studio Head of Beenox, gave the following comment about the new title in a press release earlier today:

The first The Amazing Spider-Man game gave players their own beautifully animated, free-roaming city of Manhattan to traverse and explore – a playground of majestic scale in which to live out our common hero fantasies...and the overwhelming message from fans was: ‘MORE!’ That’s what our team is working toward with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – we’re giving gamers more abilities, more upgrades, more challenges, and more freedom to progress. And with the game launching alongside the new movie, offering an expanded interactive experience beyond the film, fans of the franchise won’t want to miss playing it.

It's unlikely that overwhelming message came from Australia, as the country sadly never got to play the first title. Hopefully The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will make it Down Under.

A specific release date has not yet been announced for either version. As per usual, we'll be sure to let you know as soon as we receive word.

Related Games

Conocotarious

Conocotarious said:

I really liked Beenox's Spider-Man games prior to the release of the new movie series. Too bad it seems like we won't be seeing any more of those since activision has them churning out movie games now.

hydeks

hydeks said:

@SkywardCrowbar The more releases the better? Not if the games are crap :P

I'm sorry, but the first Amazing Spiderman was a terrible game that could have been way better, this would be a pass unless they show off a lot of improvements.

Superstick

Superstick said:

Did anyone here play the first one? I haven't got around to that yet and I was considering maybe getting this one. Spider-Man games are ok in my opinion so I'll give this a try.

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

are the Nintendo versions being developed by the same people as the other consoles?

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

Hopefully the sequel doesn't have the ridiculously awful screen tearing!! It was pretty bad in the Wii U version. Fun game other than that!

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

I'll probably get this. I had fun with the first one. Except the combat system. It certainly made you look awesome, but after about the first quarter of the game it just got boring.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@Superstick I played the first one and it was ok, just wait for 2 because it seems like its gonna be better! Plus there's a new mode called "Hero Mode".

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@Superstick

Just the demo. However I'm guessing the stories won't be linked. Also, there's no free-roam in the first one. From my understanding it got pretty good reviews.

odd69

odd69 said:

I'll probably end up picking this up.been wanting to play another spidey game.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

Needs a better villain gallery. It was all reptile-like villains to coincide with the lizard storyline. I was never once excited or hyped at any of the villains revealed during my gameplay (if you're gonna 'borrow' mechanics from the Arkham games, understand the grand villain cast is what also sold the game). Needs less screen tearing; and better alternate costumes longtime Spidey fans actually recognize (not the alternate universe costume crap). I' m looking forward to the game, those are just my most wanted improvements.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

I don't think any Spiderman game will ever surpass the consoles version of Spiderman 2. Maybe if Rocksteady made one...

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

@hcfwesker How could you forget bringing back Bruce Campbell in some form or another?!? He was in ALL the movie based Spiderman games until The Amazing Spiderman!

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

@triforcepower73 Bruce Campbell is the man, no doubt. But he only had cameos cause of Sam Raimi directing the original Spidey trilogy (which does not exist in the world i live in lol).

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

The first one was sure fun. My only complaint was lack of things to do once the (relatively short) story was over. Not much of a free-roaming sandbox if there isn't really anything to interact with.

ninjapenguin1

ninjapenguin1 said:

Yeah make a sinister 6 game. It would fit in with Electro and all the villains they are bringing in anyways. Either way, I'll probably get this one eventually.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

spidey games to me are always in the 'ok' section not to good not to bad but i didnt get to play the first one but i did hear the cam was bad or something ._. eh least more games for wii u at least

johndevine

johndevine said:

More comic-book-nonsense-crap-piss.

Crap characters in a crap game. I will buy this game. (If it becomes cheaper than burning coal.)