EnjoyUp Games Bringing Shmup, Codenamed Project Aguraki, to the Wii U eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Shoot everything

EnjoyUp Games has been a prolific developer and publisher on Nintendo's portable download platforms, and also notably brought the long awaited La-Mulana to WiiWare in the West. The company announced earlier in the year that it was working on unannounced projects for Nintendo's current home console, and has now given us a glimpse of the first in line.

Currently codenamed Project Aguraki, EnjoyUp Games has told us that this shmup will be using the Unity graphics engine, which has been prominent in Nintendo's efforts to attract smaller developers. There are also two screenshots, above and below, alongside two very short videos showing the game in action.

A brief teaser then, but we'll follow up and try to learn more. To date only Nano Assault Neo has delivered a shmup experience, and that incorporated Shin'en Games' ground-based 3D environment concept. Project Aguraki looks like a more traditional side-scrolling experience at this early stage, so let us know what you think.

Cohort

Cohort said:

Old school...

Why do people insist on saying "Shmup"? It's almost as bad as "SNEZ"..

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Looks great, but another game not coming out anytime son. Wii U eshop needs new games ASAP. Developers who can get their game onto the system now will have a lot less competition to worry about. Don't want rushed games, but do want games.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Looking forward to it.

@Cohort Becaues "Shoot 'em up" has too many damn letters when you're trying to blow stuff up.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Oh, the memories of playing R-Type in my old Master System. :)
Will definitely keep an eye out for this one.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

On a somewhat unrelated note, whoa, La-Mulana got a 10/10 from Nintendo Life? Is it really that good? I might just have to download it on the Wii mode of my Wii U.

Cohort

Cohort said:

@Shiryu I like to blow things up with style, grace... and if possible a grammatically correct term or parlance..

luminalace

luminalace said:

Unless this turns out terribly, I will likely pick it up. I'm a sucker for a shoot em up!

Gowap

Gowap said:

Im baffled noone noticed that Aguraki = Ikaruga spelled backwards. Bodes very well indeed.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

@Gowap I noticed it mere moments after I saw the title. Admittedly, it's not so obvious to those who forgot about that specific Sh'mup.

Anyways: Video game. Sh'mup. Nintendo systems. Good.

That's really all I have to say on the matter.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

@ricklongo Yes La-Mulana REALLY IS that GOOD! I've been playing video games for over 20 years and I can say without a doubt La-Mulana is on my top 5 video game experiences list of all time!!

On topic now. The early development for this game is looking promising.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

I really like shmups, but I see this (version) has a major shortcoming: the bullets blend very badly into the background.

Thankfully I have enough shmups on the Wii VC...