Aqua Moto Racing 3D Developer Keen to Bring it to Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"It would be a dream"

Aqua Moto Racing 3D arrived in the European 3DS eShop this week, with the North American release to arrive relatively soon. We're currently working on our review, but it's a title — and series — that's achieved notable success on smartphones, and from video footage alone may remind some of the Wave Race titles that graced the Nintendo 64 and GameCube.

While the 3DS version makes its tentative first steps, Zordix’s CEO Matti Larsson has spoken to gamersxtreme.org about the release. Larsson emphasized that the company has "decided to focus wholeheartedly on the Nintendo platforms", before saying the following when asked about Wave Race comparisons.

Wave Race has been a huge inspiration and we realized there was a gap to fill in the need for this type of game. I’m not sure it’s fair to compare to an iconic Nintendo TV console launch title with a big budget, but we’re very happy with the result in how fun the game is to play. It should stand its ground well.

A difference worth mentioning is that you get bigger, more varied waves to enjoy in Aqua Moto Racing 3D, which just adds to the fun.

While the 3DS title does include multiplayer and Download Play, Larsson did state that the team is interested in bringing the game — which is just one part of a broader series on smartphone markets — to Wii U, even if it's not a process underway quite yet. Naturally the home console would allow the studio to more easily explore features absent from the portable iteration.

I can’t deny that it would be a dream to realize the Aqua Moto Racing game in a larger format. Possibly with online tournaments, ranking and all that goes with that. Wii U is a natural next step for us and if we decide to do it, I’ll make sure to share some information early on about development.

We're still working through this game before we decide whether it stacks up well in the jet-ski racing genre, but the mere idea of a title of this style on Wii U is tempting. Is this a project you'd like to see on the Wii U eShop?

[via gamersxtreme.org]

Nintex

Nintex said:

Yes I would def buy it if it came to the wiiu! luv me some jet ski racing!

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

A Wii U version sounds interesting especially with all those extra features they are talking about.

ANGRYBALDMAN666

ANGRYBALDMAN666 said:

Got this on my 3DS and from what I have played its not bad at all they have done a good job. With Nintendo not making WAVERACE it fills the gap nicely I have heard there are other games in the Moto Racing series but I have not seen them but if so I hope they bring them all to the 3DS very soon.

Glacier928Staff

Glacier928 said:

Very cool to see my interview shared on Nintendo Life. Thanks for sharing and sourcing the interview Thomas! :D

AgentAPE

AgentAPE said:

its games like this that makes me wish nintendo would let more companies co-dev some of their less popular/mainstream games, give these guys the wave race license, some cash and a little dev help for the old nintendo magic and BAM! new game for the WiiU , even better make it a capable/solid eshop exclusive with lower then retail cost. highly unrealistic, I know , but it would be nice.

Glacier928Staff

Glacier928 said:

@AgentAPE I agree. While I haven't played the 3DS version yet since it's not out until next month in North America, I have been playing their iOS version, Aqua Moto Racing 2. While it "feels" like a mobile game, it definitely has the potential to be a proper Wave Race title if Nintendo were to work alongside them. That being said, Nintendo may want to consider having Zordix have a crack at a Wave Race for the Wii U if the 3DS version pans out very well.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I missed Wave Race, F-Zero, and Star Fox. It's sad that Nintendo doesn't make new games for these franchise anymore and instead we have to live with inspirational titles of them instead. RIP Ryota Hayami, Captain Falcon, and Fox McCloud.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

why keep it a dream and not make it a reality, it would be popular if done well and right.

Imerion

Imerion said:

I'd really love to see this on Wii U! Will download the 3DS version any day now, since I've really been craving for something Wave Race-like for a while after playing Wii Sports Resort. The fact that it has Download Play makes me want it even more. A very awesome addition. I'll think I'll get my 3DS now and download it.

Anyway, nice to hear them want to support Nintendo platforms. As said, Aqua Moto Racing for Wii U, with splitscreen support, would be a blast at gaming nights! :)

defrb

defrb said:

Wave Race clone?
Man i love wave race....
Sinds nintendo is not taking the oppertunity to make a sequel, the weaker devolpers grab their chances.