GameStop Wii U Software Pre-Orders Surpass One Million

Posted by Orla Madden

Mamma mia!

The Wii U is out in just two days time in North America, and you can already smell the excitement in the air. Drunk on the 'new console' fever, it seems that people have been getting a bit anxious thinking they may not secure their console for the holiday season. We reported that Wii U pre-orders were selling out quickly, and at one point, GameStop had closed pre-orders altogether across its US stores.

It comes as no surprise that GameStop has revealed that there are over 1.2 million preorders for Wii U games, alongside sitting on 500,000 consoles allocated for consumers across the nation. The good news is that this puts the software ratio for the Wii U at 2.4 games for each console sold, which is double that of the Wii at launch.

The top preorders for the console are Zombie U, Super Mario Bros. UAssassin’s Creed 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Scribblenauts Unlimited.

We're really hoping that the Wii U won't experience a shortage of supply like the Wii did at launch, so please tell us you have your pre-orders in already!

[via gamasutra.com]

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i had a preorder but i had to cancel it. i hope i can still get one at christmas. I live in Canada so I'm kind of hoping that maybe it won't be sold out as bad here as in the States

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

I hope nintendo keeps a good supply to stores. I've still got a ways to go before I have enough money!

Kohokz

Kohokz said:

I have had my pre-order since the announcement dates where confirmed, went straight to my local gamestop and preoreded the system(deluxe) and two pro controllers and black ops dos.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Apparently, there'll be another shipment of console units around Christmas. Hopefully, Nintendo realises the dire need for sufficient stock in retailers.

Anyway, this is an ace start. Among those top pre-orders are a good mix of both first-party and third-party titles, so I feel this is a good sign for significantly well-rounded support on the Wii U from here on.

And they say physical retail has reached its end with these figures at hand! :P

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

Groovy.
Preordered, bought, waiting and a change of underwear is on hand, to be ruined in the name of awesomeness.

renaryuugufan92

renaryuugufan92 said:

i'm hoping on getting mine next week, if not then its gonna be fun store hopping all december~ :P just hope the shortages arn't nearly as bad as the Wii was~

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Good news, I thought the game-console ratio would be much lower, specially since theres no hurry in pre-ordering games as there is when pre-ordering consoles

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

Sunday morning 10am im hoping to be in and out fast :) im debating if I want to get nsmb u via disc or download though...

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I've noticed that Amazon.co.uk has stopped taking any more orders for the ZombieU bundle.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

If I had a coin for everyone Wii U pre-ordered from GameStop, I'd be a NSMB2 king! Yes, I have pre-ordered my Wii U. The downside is that it is being shipped to me so it probably won't arrive on Sunday. T.T

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Good thing my pre-order was secured on the first day the launch date was shown. It also looks like both first and third party games are going to sell very well too. I just hope Nintendo doesn't have a repeat of the Wii drought.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

No pre-order and I'm starting to freak out right now — okay, relaxed again.
Tomorrow afternoon, I'll be calling all the retail stores and staking out which one I'll stand in line for. I prefer early morning to midnight, but it will be easier to sneak by the kids at midnight. ;)

Just realized I'll HAVE to try a midnight one first because then I get a second chance in the morning if I fail. Hope it doesn't come to that.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@NintyFan Good point about third parties: 3 separate companies that aren't Nintendo (Fifth Cell, Ubisoft, Activision) are winning big on launch day.

Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 are already out on other consoles/PC and they are in the top pre-orders for Wii U. That's a very, very good sign for continued third party support.

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

It would be nice if more stores would have midnight releases for wiiu considering the popularity of preorders but whatever

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Is GameStop doing a midnight launch for Wii-U? I'll need to go to my local store and ask. Good thing I landed my Wii-U deluxe preorder the day Nintendo announced it! :D

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

I wasn't going to, but then my grandma and I saw a basic set preorder card at target! So now I got it preordered for sunday.

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

Well I got The Deluxe Bundle with a ZombiU and NG3:RE preorder. I wonder if they count that as three games or two, since nintendoland is included in the deluxe? The realease is so close now, CAN'T WAIT!

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

While I'm happy for anyone who will get their hands on it this Sunday, I will be weeping in a corner as I don't have money to join in the festivities. :(

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

The Wii shortages is precisely why I preordered the Wii U right away. Those shortages were really frustrating and left a scar in my mind that won't ever fade...

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Wow. And this is just GameStop.
What if we add in WalMart, Kmart (are they doing it?), Target, GAME(?), and BestBuy? Will we have surpassed the number of Wii Us Nintendo wanted to sell by March?