Rayman Origins Was In The Works For The Wii U

Posted by Orla Madden

Rayman Legends predecessor could have been on the Wii U

Once upon a time, Rayman Origins was in the works for the Wii U, as Ubisoft expected an earlier launch date for the console. Sadly the team had no choice but to scrap development once they discovered that the system wouldn't be released in 2011.

Rayman creator Michel Ancel told Nintendo Power magazine that the team were working on the game for Wii U, but there was uncertainty about when the system would launch.

We did not know exactly when Nintendo would release the system, but we started making Origins for Wii U. [At that point], we thought Wii U would come out a lot earlier. We worked very closely with Nintendo [on Wii U] early on, giving them feedback on the various prototypes.

After discarding Rayman Origins for Wii U, the team went on to develop Rayman Legends exclusively for the system.

Scheduled for release next month, it was revealed earlier this week that the game will be delayed until next year.

[via eurogamer.net, nintendoeverything.com]

Related Games

Xilef

Xilef said:

Getting a exclusive sequel is mutch bether anyway. At least Wii got Origins.

Norfair

Norfair said:

Once I am done with NSMB.U I will probably buy Origins to try it out with friends and if it will be as good as reviews have been saying, I will probably also get Legends.

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

Personally I think Wii U needed to be out this time last year, so I can certainly understand Ubi's logic. At least we get Legends though, so Wii U gets a dose of Rayman manicness

ReindeerDasher

ReindeerDasher said:

Yeah, I'm glad the Wii U gets Legends, even if I'm not going to play it, because it's an exclusive, and looks like a great game.

Ryno

Ryno said:

I'm glad the Wii U was delayed another year because I am sure that only made the system better!

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

What's to stop them from releasing it on Wii U right now? If we can be forced to deal with year old ports like Batman, then Ubi should give us Origins too. No reason not to.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Rapadash6 They probably figure they can port Batman b/c it wasn't on the Wii, Origins was on the Wii and everything else.

If Ubisoft thought the system was coming out a year earlier that might help explain why they have about 6 games in the launch window, and why ZombieU is the stand out new "hardcore" game for the system.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

@Rapadash6: Well, seeing as it was quite an acclaimed success on Wii, and the Wii U is now getting an exclusive successor to the title, I'd say it's pretty unnecessary. The Wii missed out on all those AAA multi-platform titles last year, and we're not exactly getting an exclusive successor to Batman: Arkham City, so I'd say all is pretty much within reason.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

No doubt they used that experience for Legends, so it was not a waste of time and effort. It is much better to have the sequel, that should address any shortcomings of the original.