Quarth is Blasting Onto the 3DS Virtual Console Soon

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Think of it as Tetris X Space Invaders

The slow drip-feed of Game Boy titles on the 3DS Virtual Console may frustrate some that would prefer a deluge, but we can confirm — thanks to our source at Nintendo of America — another title from the extensive back catalogue that's due to arrive in the next couple of weeks. This time around it's Quarth, the puzzle/shmup hybrid from Konami, and it's due to arrive in the North American eShop in the next couple of weeks.

In this title you control a ship at the bottom of the screen, from which there seem to be a number to choose from, and you watch for incomplete shapes to emerge from the top; you shoot at the emerging blocks to fill them out into full shapes, at which stage they disappear and your target total for the level decreases. Like any puzzle game along these lines you can expect the action to speed up with more blocks than you can handle, and power ups to help you along the way.

It may not be the most iconic or well known Game Boy title, but some are sure to remember it. Do you think you'll be interested in downloading it?

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

This actually seems interresting. Any chance it'll come to PAL regions?

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

I personally like a shmup, as Parodius or Twinbee or Yier Ar Kung Fu. but anyway ...

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

I think if I could have just one question answered definitively, it'd have to be the question of how exactly Nintendo of America determines which 3DS VC games to release. It seems so very random.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

It's cool that were getting VC games that aren't the 3 that were listed by Nintendo (Gradius, Wario Land II, and Zelda II). The game itself seems interesting.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Konami made this, so I hope we will see stuff like Nemesis and Operation C next. I've actually never heard of this game before.

Windy

Windy said:

I just love gameboy Titles on my Playstation 2 powered handheld. just impresses me to no end. How about this instead...just throwing this out there....How about SNES vc or Sega Genesis vc instead? old crusty black and white games BLEH! just sayin

KAHN

KAHN said:

looks interesting. i might have played this game when i was in my 60's

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

It sounds like fun, I'm looking forward to it.

@TheDreamingHawk
Well there are NES games on there. I would prefer it to stay at least mostly handhelds though.

KingMike

KingMike said:

I'm kind of interested in the story of that boxart image.
And why someone bothered to paste a Konami sticker over the Ultra Games (literally a fake brand of Konami, sharing the same address)?

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I bought the cartridge at a flea market for $3, recently. This is definitely a game that needs an instruction booklet. It's a shmup/puzzle game, but it's heavier on the puzzle than it is a shmup. I only bought it on a whim, because I'm a fan of Konami/Ultra games. But I lost interest in the game within minutes.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

@KingMike

I'm guessing that the 'Ultra' brand has long been defunct and Konami doesn't need to evade the 'only 8 games per year' policy anymore.

bluecat

bluecat said:

Ah well I own this in cart form so I probably won't be getting it on the 3DS. It's fun for what it is though, people should check it out if they can!

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

@TheDreamingHawk

I probably didn't give the game a good enough chance to really give a decent opinion. I didn't get an instruction booklet, so I'm not exactly sure what I was supposed to do in the game. If you play Tetris to see how high of a score you can get, then this is probably no different.

FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG said:

meh--I'll play REAL Tetris, and go back to hoping like HELL we see the NES Tetris released on Wii's VC before that console goes into the closet

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

I do think they should put NES-N64 games on the VC, it doesn't matter if it's a handheld system, if it can play these games, then put them on it. Of course, N64 VC games would have to have a bit of tweaking due to controls and things like that.

Bucbanzai

Bucbanzai said:

I remember this game. You had to clear through wave of blocks coming down at you. each shot was one bloack you had to use the shots to complete rectanges to make them disappear. the blocks coming down were in various patterns and you could look for the key blocks that would make the entire sections disappear or you could blast away and fill them in with speed. The game awarded bonus' for doing it with less shots and as the game spead up that was the only way you had time to complete them.

dustin_g

dustin_g said:

talk all the trash you want, me and my brother used to own this for gameboy and played the crap out of it, it is a good game, if you want to hate on oldschool gaming do it somewhere else

millarrp

millarrp said:

I'll probably snatch it up....lately I seem to be enjoying the pick up and play of some of the older handheld games anyways

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Sounds too much like Pictobits, which I stank at. Think I'll pass... But YAY for more VC games! Keep 'em coming, Nintendo!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

That's funny I was in my local retro game store last weekend and almost bought a copy of this. I guess I'll download it because I'm curious to try this game now.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Flowerlark That's exactly what I was thinking after reading Bucbanzai's description. I loved me some Pictobits, but the Nintendo imagery/sounds helped a great deal, so I'm not sure about this just yet. But I've really enjoyed the GB games I've downloaded so far (Mario's Picross, G&W collection, Mole Mania) so this could be worth a shot.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Oh man, I used to play the crap out of this back in the day. Totally forgot about it and what it was named, but hooray VC resurrection!

spamineggs

spamineggs said:

This and Qix are among my favorite "unique" puzzle games! definitely getting this when it hits!