Doom 3 BFG Edition Could Come To Wii U, If There's Time

Posted by Damien McFerran

id Software's John Carmack laments busy development schedule

id Software Technical Director and co-founder John Carmack has stated that he'd love to bring Doom 3 BFG Edition to Wii U - as well as other platforms - but has also admitted that his team's lack of time means that it won't be happening just yet.

Here's what he said:

I wish that we could deploy this on a bunch of other code bases. I love platforms...I love looking for the fun things to do on different ones. I've been bringing up quietly at a bunch of the meetings, "You know, we could make a Vita version, a Wii U version, an iPhone/Android version." All of these would be reasonable platforms to take this technology...we do have a very busy development schedule and nothing else is really planned for that.

Carmack is heavily involved in a lot of cool stuff right now - he recently gave his seal of approval to the potentially ground-breaking VR headset Oculus Rift - and it would be amazing to see what he and his team at id Software could do with the Wii U. Alas, it appears that we'll have to wait for a gap in their schedule to find out.

[via gonintendo.com, neogaf.com]

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

Carmack is a legend, he's always interested in new tech - which is great. Would be good to see id games on Wii U this time around, probably won't have the horsepower to keep them happy - but we'll see. GamePad opens new doors.

DoomsSD

DoomsSD said:

Doom on the Wii U? If this does happen and it has Wii Mote support...

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

John Carmack is a genius. His games I feel always lack something special in terms of gameplay, story etc (especially single player) but they seem to have a certain goal in mind and perfect it up to that level. The coding is extremely tight with excellent controls, level design, graphic work. If you stop thinking "They could have added this or that" you basically come down to a perfect game. Much like Nintendo they make a polished product whether you like it or not.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

GCN could have handled DOOM 3 - just like the XBOX did. It would be great to see an awesome FPS come to Wii U. The Wii sure got shortchanged. I WANT HALF-LIFE ON WII!!

leon_x

leon_x said:

with wiimotion plus support and 5 player multiplayer offline.... it would be so awesome

GreenBanana

GreenBanana said:

"If there's time"? What, all of a sudden the Mayan prophecies have come true? They have as much time as they decide to spend on it.

Rargon

Rargon said:

It'll give me more of reason to buy a WIi U! Not that I don't already have enough reasons lol

Void

Void said:

I bet if they make any new version, that it will be for the iOS.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Doom 3 is my favorite FPS, especially online DM. I was thinking of getting this for PS3 for playing on my TV with a controller (original PC version doesn't work great with gamepads), but man, WiiU would be even better, especially if it supported remote play on the gamepad. Keep beating that drum Carmack!!

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

YES! Yes! Oh, dear God, yes!

I would also love to see the original Doom games (and/or even a port of Doom 3) on 3DS with online multiplayer and download play support.

@grenworthshero: Eight, actually. Man, how time flies. :o

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I really do not care about Doom (not a fan of the franchise).

I want the rumored Quake 1 Reboot on Wii U!!!

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

YESSS! How bout a reboot or at least a port of the original too. There is nowhere to get the original anymore!!

luminalace

luminalace said:

Honestly I really like ID Software but I would really doubt if any of their games will ever show up on Wii U!