Gaijin Games: Wii U is a 'New Canvas to Paint On'

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Running with its ideas

Gaijin Games is a well-known supporter of Nintendo systems and services, bringing its six game Bit.Trip series to WiiWare and then as retail compilations on Wii and 3DS. There was a dark time, however, when it looked like Bit.Trip Runner spin-off Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien wouldn't arrive on a Nintendo system. Thankfully, after heavy hints that made it a 99% certainty, the developer confirmed that it would be self-publishing the title on Wii U; all is well with the world.

It's clear that the team working on the game is enjoying the possibilities that the system and its GamePad controller offer, and has shared its enthusiasm and ideas in an interview with Official Nintendo Magazine.

For Runner2, we're thinking about how we can use the controller as an alternate world. For instance, what if CommanderVideo got warped down to the controller and had to do stuff different to what's going on in the main game. It's turning into a new canvas to paint on.

I'm imagining a game in which two players play co-op, with one using the Wii U controller and the other using a standard Wii Remote. What if the person with the Wii U controller could help the other person with the Wii U controller could help the other player out using, say, surveillance cameras, a bit like Theora Jones with Edison Carter (from Max Headroom).

We also suggest that you check out the recent Gaijin blog post confirming the Wii U release of Runner2, which promises 10 new characters and 'fancy-pants HD graphics', among other things.

One thing's for sure, that's one developer with a lot of love for Nintendo.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk, runner2.com]

Shadow100

Shadow100 said:

What is up with those trees?
On another note, it's good to see the WiiU bringing new play styles to games.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I still hate the company's name, but that's beside the point, its good that they have a good impression of the new console.

MAB

MAB said:

Thats cool! I remember posting an idea in a thread for a Mario game on WiiU with the TV displaying a Mario64 3D world and when you go down a pipe or find a hidden area it goes to the gamepad screen as an old school 2D level.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Max Headroom? Wow, that's an esoteric reference. I like the way these guys think.
Met the lead artist at PAX East this past year and it seems he's excited to be able to work outside the constrains of the original BIT.TRIP aesthetic.... even if I, along with many others, seem to think the new look is way uglier.
My hope is that unique GamePad implementation is rampant on the indie/eShop side of things, even if AAA games just use it for maps and scanners.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

It's nice to see some developers excited and supporting of the Wii U. I'm still not a huge fan of Runner 2's art style. However, I highly doubt that the game will be bad and I will most likely be picking up the game.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

You know I wasn't all that excited about Runner 2, but if they're going to tweak it for Wii-U and the Gamepad, well, that changes things doesn't it? I actually own Bit.Trip Complete and I still haven't played any of the games past Runner because I feel duty-bound to clear the first boss like I did in the WiiWare version and it's STILL KICKING MY ...!

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

@accc Very impressive, a fellow Commander Keen fan!! Those trees are awfully distinct, almost feels like an intentional reference. x)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Yeah I'm not really digging the design of Runner2 but oh well. Glad they listened to the email I sent them after reading here on NL that they were asking for suggestions about a WiiU Runner2. I remember suggesting what they said above & more ideas for local co-op & such.