Pledge to Diamond Trust of London's Kickstarter Campaign

Posted by James Newton

If you want to

Diamond Trust of London — sorry, Jason Rohrer with Music by Tom Bailey: Diamond Trust of London — passed Nintendo's approval process recently and now sits on the verge of release. Before it gets there, though, there's the small matter of money, and that's where crowdfunding site Kickstarter comes in.

Citing Nintendo's "large manufacturing minimum", Rohrer is inviting backers to pledge a minimum of $5 towards an ultimate goal of $78,715 to get the project off the ground. $5 gets you a photocopied memo and $35 gets you a copy of the game upon release, but the rewards for a top-level pledge of $10,000 sounds most exciting:

A hand-crafted Diamond Trust of London mega archive box containing a huge collection of artifacts that is yet even more f************g than what is in the previous reward, PLUS special funding credit on the back of the box, PLUS two boxed copies of the limited edition, AND one of your copies will have a super-low sequence number (in the range #2 to #5). AND all of it HAND DELIVERED to you in your town anywhere in the world by masterminds Jason Rohrer and Tom Bailey. You will get an anonymous letter telling you to go to a particular pay phone at a particular time and await further instructions...

$10,000 to get these two at your door? That's got to be worth it. Head over and donate if you want to get involved.

[via kickstarter.com]

James

James said:

You can find that information out with literally one click. One.

Bankai

Bankai said:

And ladies and gentlemen here is the first kickstarter I am putting money into.

Thank you, James, for posting this news.

lifer

lifer said:

Hmm, so this is a kickstarter for a game that is already finished, but funding is needed for cartridges? How about releasing it digitally instead, then the funding problem would be solved.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

Just pledged $55 for the limited edition. This game pushes all of the right buttons for me.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Interesting - I might pledge enough for the limited edition. Be part of (DS) history, kids!

Also, thanks for alerting us!

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I'm thinking of pledging $35, but haven't decided just yet. I wish there were previews of more gameplay + music in the interview to help me decide.

EDIT- Nvm, I just noticed that if I scroll down like a smart person there music and screenshots. I think I might actually pledge for the limited edition, but I'm not too sure how kickstarter works- will I lose my money if they don't raise the amount before the deadline?

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

@Flowerlark: You only get charged on your credit card if the project is fully funded. Basically, you go through Amazon's payment system, and authorize a future transaction of the amount you pledge. That amount is only debited on the closing date of the kickstarter project if it reaches 100% funding; if not, you simply don't get charged.

There are other problems in that you can pledge money for a project that doesn't turn out the way it was proposed, or that development gets cancelled halfway through for whatever reason. I'm not sure what happens then (I'm not sure anybody really is at this stage, I don't know if there have been reported cases of this happening). That's another whole can of worms though.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I've heard of this game. I wonder if it's as surreal as Jason Rohrer's other projects.

mizumaru

mizumaru said:

"HAND DELIVERED to you in your town anywhere in the world"..."go to a particular pay phone at a particular time and await further instructions"...What if I have to go to work that day?

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@mizumaru: considering you just blew $10,000 on the opportunity to have a video game delivered to you by its creators, chances are you're in a position where you either don't have to worry about work or you can set your own hours to accommodate said delivery. :3

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I really thought this was going to be an eshop release. I guess it was too big? At least they're getting decently close to their goal so far. But it seems like a lot to put on the line if the game is already done.

I would also hope Kickstarter may open the door for some other worthy games though in the future.