Tekken Wii U Could Use Controller as Digital Strategy Guide

Posted by James Newton

hcf+1+2

Fresh from Tekken 3D Prime Edition, series stalwart Katsuhiro Harada has turned his thoughts to Tekken on Wii U and how it might use that tantalising second screen built into the controller.

Speaking to Nintendo Gamer, Harada spoke of using the controller's screen to emulate the arcade Tekken experience, where second screens show player profiles, rankings and videos of other fights; bringing that to the home would certainly be a sizeable shift for fighting games.

Harada has other ideas though. While Tekken on 3DS let players use the touch screen to access four moves, Wii U's screen could have far wider uses:

We’re thinking about a different use for the second screen. I’ve often heard about or seen fighting-game players playing with a strategy guide open at their feet. So it would be useful if we could, for example, distribute an enhanced digital version of the guide that the player could see while playing, and even touch to have a live preview on the main screen.

In January we heard Wii U could get e-reader capabilities including strategy guides, so Harada's dream could yet come true.

[via nintendo-gamer.net]

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

Huh... not a bad idea, but I really hope that guide isn't there the whole time. Why not just bring the game to the controller.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Interesting ideas here. The strategy guide / touch controlled option should definitely be used.
What would be great for online-heavy games: being shown an ongoing match / race on the TV while the status for a connection to an opponent is shown on the controller. Not sure if internet bandwith is strong enough for that yet though. :|

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Tekken 3D looks like the laziest port I've ever seen, so I no longer have any interest in what this guy has to say. He's the last person I'd expect to take advantage of a console's unique features.

Lobster

Lobster said:

I don't give two flips about Tekken, but imagine retro remakes of old arcade games, and the second screen showing the game info that was on the cabinet. I'd like that, if only for the feel of visiting an arcade back in the very early 90s.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

lets just hope they dont throw in another movie(still like T3PE)and its funny how now they care for nintendo now,but the only other tekken i want is tekken advance on the vc

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Not a bad idea, I usually have strategy guides for fighting games. I would like to see this happen.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i just hope this version is an improvement over the 3DS game with more game play modes. something which was lacking in that one.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

@Lobster That would be epic!!! but luckly there are old tekken games in an arcade for me, but if they utilize that idea, I could save all my quarters :)

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

@Morpheel really,a mini game WTF,it got ranks,multi,two costumes with 10 colours,over 40 charaters...dont know why people are hating the game,so they took story mode out big whoop just look up tekken 6 story mode on youtube.