Wii Dominates 2009 Sales

Posted by Adam Russell

Amazon reveal the bestselling video games products of last year

Amazon.com have revealed the best selling products in the field of video games for 2009 and hardcore Mario fans will be pleased to learn that the Nintendo Wii has taken the top spot.

2009 was clearly Nintendo’s year with the Wii taking the top eight positions and nine of the top ten across consoles, accessories and games.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was the highest selling game of the year placing at number five in the list while the top selling DS game was Scribblenauts at number twenty-five.

The top ten reads as follows:

• Nintendo Wii
  • Wii Remote Controller
  • Wii MotionPlus
  • Wii Nunchuk Controller – White
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board
  • Wii Sports Resort
  • Wii Fit
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360)
  • Mario Kart Wii with Wii Wheel

The full top 100 list can be found here, and be sure to listen to Episode eleven of the Nintendo Life podcast for more retrospective goodness.

[via amazon.com]

Machu

Machu said:

Massive pwnage, woah!

Quite surprising that top 25, especially the Wii Wheel (without game) selling more than ODST. Them be my kinda stats. :D

Twisted

Twisted said:

All those MotionPlus accessories and no decent games to use them in... what a waste. Oh wait ... there is tennis and golf, I guess, and a whole package of half-baked mini games that only Nintendo could cook up (or cock up) for the casual crowd. Well worth it then.

Good to see Mario Kart and NSMB did well although it goes to show that Wii gamers only buy casual and first party games though. Outside of obvious titles like Guitar Hero, Rock Band and the usual gaggle of casual fitness crap there wasn't really any other non-Nintendo published (or affiliated) Wii games in the top 100, other than the Lego Indiana Jones series (woo hoo) Such a shame - better luck next gen. eh?

maka

maka said:

You can bash Wii Sport Resort all you like, but have you even finished all the games in it and gotten all the seals? Behind the cutesy graphics, there's some real challenge, and quite a lot of innovation in how games are controlled.It's also showing developers ideas to use the wii motion+ in different situations.

If Nintendo does one thing right is create games that appeal to a more "casual" audience while still adding enough challenge for more "hardcore" gamers to enjoy.

SuperJim64

SuperJim64 said:

Anyone notice how the PS3 is finally making some in roads against the X-Box on that top 100? It'll be interesting to see what happens there in '10. I'm thinking PS3 will eventually have better sales than XBox but still be crushed by the Wii this time around. Next gen? Mario vs Sackboy. Get it on. That will be good for us all.

Caliko

Caliko said:

It shows New Super Mario Bros Wii as number 5! If thats the case then I'm blown away. I mean the game just came out and beat out both Wii Fits.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

And how about that? Reggie was wrong! MW2 on the 360 alone outsold NSMBW in 09. Not that I'd trust him to ever admit it.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@maka: Agreed. After one round of Wii Sports Resort I though it turned out better than originally imagined. A second playthrough unlocking more Swordfighting and the plane game, bowling and table tennis are just ace.

It's really an excellent collection and I'd be content if that was the only application to use Wii Motion Plus, but clearly games take longer to develop than 6 months, so I suspect we'll see a lot more M+ titles in the coming year or two.

PTJohe

PTJohe said:

@The Fox: Hmm, If you see up there, It clearly shows that NSMBW did outsell MW2 on the 360 alone. You need some glasses, pal.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@PTJohe - I believe in overall sales over all time, COD has outsold NSMBW. (~8M copies on the XBox alone.) Of course, it's been out longer. Over the holiday season, which @Fox I believe is what Reggie was referring to, NSMBW outsold COD by ~400,000 copies.

I pulled my numbers from VGChartz, so keep in mind that there may be some unexpected adjustments in the future.

paulcmnt

paulcmnt said:

These are just the sales nubers for Amazon, not overall. I'm not saying that MW2 outsold anything (don't have any numbers), I'm just saying that MW2 may still have sold more than NSMB.

Not to mention that this is just the 360 version of MW2. Together with the PC and PS3 versions it may be on the top of the list.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Just gonna fanboy out here for a second...

...EAT IT, UNCHARTED 2! TAKE THAT, MW2! WHO'SE YOUR DADDY, ODST?! HA!

...ahem... good for Nintendo. Lots of bias against them from other gaming websites and they still outdo the competition.

Twisted

Twisted said:

@Sean: Don't count on that many games appearing, because:

@Maka: Nintendo failed royally at encouraging third parties to take on the Wiimote's motion sensing capabilities as a viable means of control, and with Sony and M$ offering motion control in the near future, developers will be focusing on that tech rather than the buster with an awkward upgrade. It's not the first time that the industry has learned that doing it first doesn't necessarily mean doing it best,

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii should be selling more than this! Does anyone know what a good game is anymore? ;)

motang

motang said:

So how many of those buyers are just buying the Wii for Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, etc.? I hope grate games on the Wii would sell.

chadthegamer

chadthegamer said:

Glad to see Nintendo has done well last year (not that I'm really suprised)
I am positive, though, that this year will be 10x's better for Nintendo.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Amazon hooks Wii stuff up--routinely a significant amount off MSRP. And those "grate games" tend to be even more discounted than first party options.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

I'm not planning to get any of those things, because I already have them or don't want them. Except foralready released mature games on the Wii I'm looking forward to Golden Sun DS and Okami Den this year!

Raisinghelen

Raisinghelen said:

@The Fox
I believe that Reggie had said NSMB will outsell MW2 on one platform before the end of 2009, that platform obviously being the PS3. He went on to say that NSMB would outsell MW2 on all platforms in 2010.

It did outsell MW2 on the PS3 and will soon overtake the total sales (if it hasn't already, as its sold over 2 million in Japan alone), so Reggie was right. People may have thought that it was a risky statement with all the MW2 overhype but honestly it was really a forgone conclusion.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Raisinghelen: Word, the appeal of Mario is easily broader than some kind of Michael Bay/Red Dawn fantasy. That prediction wasn't much of a stretch really.