Nintendo Download: 5th & 6th January 2010 (Japan)

Posted by Sean Aaron

A quiet start to the new year.

The Japanese Wii and DSi shops have seen some massive updates this past year much to the envy of 'net-reading Wii owners in other territories, but Nintendo are taking it easy at home with a mere handful of releases to start 2010.

WiiWare

Boku wa Plarail Untenshi (1000pts - Takara Tomy) -- This is an example of a gaming staple in Japan: the train driving simulator. As you might have guessed from the title "Plarail" indicates this is a toy train simulator ("plarail" is a fine example of the of the Japanese tendency to create new "Japanese-English" words by combining elements of English words into a new word that doesn't exist in English. Other examples include: remote control -- "remocon" and personal computer -- "persocon") in which you're placed in the driver's seat of either a toy shinkansen ("bullet train") or steam locomotive and need to pick up little playmobile-like people. A second player can join in to deal with passenger boarding, run the windscreen wipers or use other controls.

Virtual Console

Kirby no Kirakira Kizzu (800pts SFC - Nintendo) -- A console version of Game Boy title Kirby's Star Stacker. It only came out in Japan on the Super Famicom, but one of the wonders of the Virtual Console is import games, so maybe this will finally see the light of day in the West?

DSiWare

G.G. Series: Dark Spirits (200pts - Genterprise) -- Another cheap and cheerful Genterprise game. Despite the ominous title this looks like an old-fashioned sprite-based side-scrolling shoot-em-up complete with giant bosses, power-ups and different shot types.

Artist ni Narou! Minna no Nurikai Neko Hen (500pts - Ertain) -- The last in this series of "colouring book" titles was focused on dogs, so no surprise this one is all about cats!

Stevie

Stevie said:

I so want to to be the second player in Boku wa Plarail Untenshi and control the windscreen wipers.

Objection

Objection said:

Dark Spirits looks cool AND its only 200 points? Wish I was able to upgrade to a DSi...

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Well after enjoying the train in Spirit Tracks recently I'd probably download Boku wa Plarail Untenshi. Looks fun!! :D And yes Stevie you can control the windscreen wipers and who knows if your any good I might even let you run the Buffet Cart :P. Shame we'll probably never see these games over here.G.G. Series: Dark Spirits looks great.

Bobpie

Bobpie said:

I'm liking the sound of Dark Spirits...... Can we PLEASE get PFX and this in NZ soon?

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

STAR STACKER! Regardless of my usual reservations relating to import titles, I'd download this in a heartbeat. I LOVE the Gameboy version, and I LOVE the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It's a total no-brainer!:D

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

"plarail" should be "purarairu" プラレイル
"remocon" should be "rimocon" リモコン
"persocon" should be "pasocon" パソコン
Nice attempt, though :) Keep it up, if you are teaching yourself Japanese. 頑張ってね!

I hope the Kirby game reaches the UK. I picked up Kirby's Adventure as my free NES game and love it.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Someday, Kirby no Kirakira Kizzu will be the second SFC game I'll download on the VC (when it comes), after DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure. I've been interested in this puzzler for years.
Kirby FTW!!! :)

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Klapucius: I'm well aware of the literal transliteration, I'm writing it for pronunciation purposes and to illustrate the root origins of the terms. Great luck with your teaching career!

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

Sorry about that :P I didn't know your language level; but you seemed interested, so thought I'd say something. ^^

JTC-Pingas

JTC-Pingas said:

I've played the Gameboy version of Star Stacker. I hope this Super Famicom version comes to the VC over here. :)