Original Castlevania Ported To Half-Life 2, Sort Of

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Modder recreates first stage for PC shooter

Dracula's castle has come down with a bad case of alien head crabs. Where are the Belmonts to stop them? Dead, presumably, so it's up to Gordon Freeman to crowbar them into crab juice in this translation of the original Castlevania's first level to the PC's Half-Life 2.

The mod retains the same look of the 8-bit rendition in its transition to 3D, complete with pixelated skies and destructible candles. Well, it's not real free-roaming 3D; the Free Man is still treading the same straight and narrow path that Belmont did, which makes the castle layout seem to make even less sense.

As far as we can tell it's not downloadable, which is a crying shame for retro fans. Maybe if you ask nicely at the mod's Machinema.com page?

Direct link

[via gonintendo.com]

Digiki

Digiki said:

I can't see why anyone would want to play that...

Atleast it sounds great.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Oh, my God! That is so cool! :D I've only gone as far as the fourth stage in the original Castlevania, though. ^^

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

The modding community still amazes, even though I've almost seen what there is to be seen. (Trust me, when you start to see Renamon mods, you think you're dreaming/high.)

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Eh.

That's all.

And Wicked Child/Wiched Child is Stage 3's theme...and that remix takes too many liberties. Stage 4 starts in the cave, then ends with Stage 2's music for the second half.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

All the versions of Wicked Child--starting with the MSX version which is surprisingly close to the NES version given the hardware differences.

Objection

Objection said:

I hope that mods like these will become available to download through Steam or something. I really enjoyed HL2 and I love the community that still uses it for such fun and unique projects like this one.

primeris

primeris said:

It would be difficult to make this available with all the copyright crap. The music would have to be redone since in this vid they're using the original music directly (maybe something à la OCRemix would work, and could be awesome).

langsterguy

langsterguy said:

That's so cool! Castlevania in (Sorta) 3D! Well even though it was not really put in the game, that is still so cool.