PopCap Confirms Wii, DSi Support

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Casual developer expanding its console line-up.

PopCap Games, best known for their beyond-successful Peggle and Bejeweled series', are one of the biggest names in so-called casual gaming. So far, though, their console support has been limited to only a handful of releases on DS and Xbox Live Arcade (and some iPhone stuff), curiously lacking any releases for the world's current most popular home console. What gives?

According to Garth Chouteau, PopCap's senior director of public relations via Kombo, that'll change. Eventually.

We have multiple titles in the works for DSi, Xbox, PSN and we're starting to work on Wii games. So, we'll get there; but it is a little far from our real comfort zone. We're still experimenting, you know, getting a lay of the land, and figuring out how best to adapt our games...

Wii and DSi shouldn't be too far from their comfort zone, as the two systems known for their large library of casual fare also have the closest forms of input devices to the PC. Games like Bejeweled and the new Plants vs. Zombies use the mouse as their main input, and a port to Wii, retail or downloadable, should be a piece of cake and highly profitable. Peggle has already seen a few iterations on the DS and Xbox Live Arcade, and it seems that series has been used to get the developer's feet wet.

...Peggle for XBLA is a good example of a game that we took that was popular on the PC and we spent probably twice as long as anyone else would have figuring how to make that game really good for Xbox and Xbox Live Arcade, and I think you will see that with Plants Vs. Zombies -- I don't know the exact order in which that game will make its way onto other platforms, but it's certainly been successful enough, quickly enough, that we're looking at other platforms and deciding where we'll take that game next...

I'd be pleased as punch to give it a whirl on Wii, as I seem to not be able to get enough of this whole zombie renaissance going on. Plants are pretty cool, too.

[via kombo.com]

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

wohoo I like games from popcap and DSi peggle or plants vs. zombies would be neat :)

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

About time... Peggle is something that I would certainly buy on DSiWare, but that, to me, doesn't make any sense at retail, so I've been waiting for them to come around to their senses and give me my download!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Plants vs. Zombies WiiWare would be a day one download for me if it had new / unique content. I loved it on the PC, even if it was just a tad easy.

Knux

Knux said:

I want to see Bejeweled and Astro Pop on WiiWare or DSiware! Personally, I think PopCap's games will be perfect for WiiWare or DSiware.

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

I'd buy Plants vs. Zombies in a flash. They'd have to lower the price a tad though. Not sure I'm inclined to pay $20.

Rum_Rapture

Rum_Rapture said:

Peggle being on XBLA means it wouldn't be out of the question to bring it to WiiWare. I'd buy that so hard, especially since they haven't released Dual Shot here in Europe. Sigh!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Honestly Plants vs. Zombies would fit the best on Wii Ware as pointer controls would work great.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

It's 10$ on Steam...

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

YES! Great news. Been waiting for Bejeweled to come to WiiWare. Hopefully they won't restrain themselves from offering a great experience. Hope to see other PopCap games come to Wii also. :D

Objection

Objection said:

I would like to see Bejeweled, Peggle, and Diner Dash on WW. Any of those would make my day.

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

I wouldn't mind seeing something like Bejeweled 2/Twist and Rocket Mania for DSiWare.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Peggle Dual Shot is brilliant. We love it in our household. I'm sure they were going to release Bejewelled Twist and Bookworm on DS later this year or something? I read it on IGN some time at the beginning of this year. Hope they get released soon on retail OR downloadable ware. Insta-buys for me.