Video - The Making of Bit.Trip Beat

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Ever wanted to know how Bit.Trip Beat was created and hear it straight from the guys that did it? Well you're in luck. Alex Neuse, CEO of Gaijin games and designer of Bit.Trip Beat, has put together a video giving fans a look inside the creation of one of the most creative WiiWare titles we've seen from the service.

You can take a look at the video below. And don't forget to check out our interview with Gaijin Games as well as our full review of Bit.Trip Beat.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Everyone should watch this video. It's a great look into the development of the game. I'll admit, I did keep waiting for Alex to bust into an REM song, though. :P He's a great guy and deserves the success.

CommanderVideo

CommanderVideo said:

Hey everyone! I didn't actually make that video. The good folks over at Wander Films made it for the Nintendo Channel! I wish I had that much talent, but alas, I do not.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go throw my chairs into the fireplace. ;)

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

The video is great...I particularly loved the "techno" aspects when they'd have you repeat a word several times. Great stuff!

Now get them to make a video of Bit.Trip 2. ;)

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

Can't wait to get this game! :)
That wanderfilms.com did a great job on the video CommanderVideo! :)
Also Mr. Osbourn looks like Garth from Wayne's World to me. :P

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

Woooow, I'm totally shocked this game only took 4 months. Shouldn't be too hard to get a sequel on the tracks, eh, eh?

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

I finally made it up to "Growth" after encountering many "Game Over" screens during the later parts of "Descent". CommanderVideo, you sure are one tough pony.

I love the development video. Very trippy just like the Commander himself (see the beginning of "Descent" if you don't believe me, hehe). Plus I'm amazed you accomplished what you did in 4 months with so little people. Each one of them sure loved doing Bit.Trip: Beat. Can't wait for the next adventure starring CommanderVideo. Maybe some comics or video vignettes of the Commander until his next game could tidy us over? =P

Also don't forget the soundtrack. =)

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Now I know why the guys at Gaijin Games are such Shiny Happy People! :-p

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

BitTrip:Beat is a cool game. I'm really glad I bought it. I just wish either (1) I was better at it or (2) it wasn't so difficult so quickly...

Popyman

Popyman said:

@Commander Video: Wow, I didn't notice before, but your last name is pretty ironic. =P

Awesome video! I still need some WiiPoints...

0-Watt

0-Watt said:

Great game, let me tell you, but it was perhaps TOO punishingly difficult. Perhaps a "practice" section would have been good like in SHUMPs. It gets annoying playing seven minutes in only to fail at one point (and I bet we all know what part I'm talking about). Still, awesome you got it done in 4 months!

@anthonyb: Yes, I beat Growth. Admittingly, I had to play co-op with my bro to beat Descent and Growth, but we did it. I actually think Growth is easier than Descent, to be honest. Even the boss of Descent is really difficult, compared.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@0-Watt:
"Yes, I beat Growth."

You, sir, are a God among men. Has anyone else actually beaten it? I THINK I'm about 1/3 through the level comfortably. Each time I get just a little further...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've beaten Growth. It's much like beating R-Type was, you have to memorize everything if you're going to beat it. You have to know where it's coming from before it does. :)

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

I just finally decided to download this today. I think I might have gotten close to the end of descent. Been playing it on and off today.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Corbie man, you are unstoppable. Not asking for any spoilers, but does the game have an ending? Like a cinematic, or special sequence or anything?

Again: no specifics! I just don't know if I'm doing all this for the privilege of seeing my name on the high score list. :D

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

If there was something special I missed it. I was hoping that beating the game would open up something cool and hidden but I guess not. I will say this, the final boss will definitely appeal to all those who used to play Pong a lot back in the day. :D

Oh and for those who can't handle the game as is, you can put both Wii Remotes in your hand and make two paddles form one larger paddle. :P Cheat city!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I actually duct taped 4 Wii Remotes together and beat it that way. :P

Actually I didn't come up with the 2 Wii Remote method until yesterday. It never even crossed my mind during the first time through the game. It's just about memorization. That's all there is to it.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well let's see, I put in about 6 hours the day I reviewed it and reached the Growth stage, but did not beat the boss until the next night when I played for about 3 more hours. So I guess about 9 hours, give or take.

CommanderVideo

CommanderVideo said:

You guys are a riot! 4 controllers together!?

So, maybe it's too early to ask, but has anyone gotten a "perfect" score on any of the levels?

I can beat all the levels without much trouble (but then I played the game all day every day for four months straight). Maybe I should do a strat-guide video or something.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've gotten a perfect on the first level, and I almost did it on the second level the other night, but I lost it near the end and goofed up. I have not gotten close to a perfect on Growth. :)

Oh and Alex, if you're feeling really nostalgic why don't you cut a deal with Activision so you guys can do a remake of Kaboom. Now there's a game that's never been duplicated well on the "hits" packages due to the lack of a paddle controller. Man I loved that game! I still have my "Bucket Brigade" patch around here somewhere. :)

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

There is a video of Icarian: Kindred Spirits going around that you should post here. Although it looks like it's the first level and there is no much challenge, the physics when the platforms fell looked pretty cool.

VenomTheEvil

VenomTheEvil said:

All this Atari talk is making me tear with joy.

@ CommanderVideo

Wow I thought I was the only one who liked anything on the 5200!

Popyman

Popyman said:

I just got it! Awesome game CommanderVideo! This series is on it's way to sitting beside Gitaroo Man as best music game, in my book. And as you can see, Gitaroo Man is high up in said book =P

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I agree about the 5200 version but I couldn't keep the damn stcks working long enough to enjoy it. I've still got a shoebox full of busted 5200 sticks. I finally broke down and bought an Atari XEGS and a set of paddles and play it that way. Works much better. :)

VenomTheEvil

VenomTheEvil said:

Is there anynews on EU date?

Its really bugging me with no dates over here for this and LIT....