EA's Peter Moore Likes World of Goo After All

Posted by Damien McFerran

Remember when EA bigwig Peter Moore got all confused because he couldn’t fathom why World of Goo ranked so highly in Eurogamer’s top 50 of 2008? Well he’s now redeemed himself by singing the praises of 2D Boy’s awesome WiiWare title on his blog page.

Here's what the big guy said:

Before we close the door on one of the lively discussions that was breaking out here over the past couple of weeks, I want to come clean on my promise to play World of Goo. While I do have a day job, I had to at least download the demo and have a hand at the game before I moved on. By every admission, I am more of a sports guy and this isn't my default cup of tea, but there's a ton to admire in something so simple, yet full of impressive physics that make for an elegant and somewhat addictive experience (even in the demo!).

You've heard me talk for some time now about making our games more approachable and of our need to deliver more compelling direct to consumer experiences. There's a lot to learn from the EA alumni who started 2D Boy and built something as creative and unique as World of Goo, with such a small team and little money. It's that type of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit that can really drive innovation, and I'd like to think we're setting the right priorities and taking the right steps to deliver more experiences in this vein from EA SPORTS.

So there you have it – Peter Moore is not a man who is afraid to reassess his viewpoint. But as for following 2D Boy’s lead with EA Sports games…I sure hope that doesn’t mean we’ll be seeing a gooey physics-based mini game in the next Madden title.

Terra

Terra said:

Glad to see people as big as Peter Moore enjoy World of goo. This can only be good news for 2D Boy. They are heading onto bigger and (Hopefully) better things.

LOL. A gooey based physics game in Madden would be hilarious.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

So he likes the game people thought he criticized?
Well that's nice.
If his words weren't misinterpreted in the first place this wouldn't be a big issue.

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

Don't really care about the subject as it wasn't that big in the first place, but it helps me feel better about myself when I comment. :)

Objection

Objection said:

@AlexSays- Very true. By the way, your Valentine's avatar makes you seem very friendly. Not that you aren't per se, but you're somewhat confrontational. I cry false avatarising!

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ Objection_Blaster -- It's to trick the new people.
They're all like "Oh that Alex fellow seems nice" and then BAM!

Omega

Omega said:

Who is Peter Moore? I have never heard of him before. Apparently he is trying to increase his popularity (and the popularity of EA) by talking about some successful games. Something like: "Yeah, I played World of Goo, it's so impressive - and don't forget to buy some EA SPORTS titles. Thank you." Amazing.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

"I sure hope that doesn’t mean we’ll be seeing a gooey physics-based mini game in the next Madden title"

I sure hope it does, I might actually play it then. Gooey Maddeness! would be my title of choice :)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Mickeymac: Technically true. He said he'd never played it, but was shocked that it appeared so high on the list and his precious soccer game didn't make the list at all.

To me, the problem with that whole stupid thing was that he acted angry to some degree that this game specifically was so high, but he'd never even played it. I'm glad he went back and gave it a try, and was willing to admit that it's good.

I still haven't tried World of Goo myself, but I won't bash it meanwhile. I just want to get the PC version whenever I FINALLY have a PC for my room, as I've been lead to understand it's the superior model.

@AlexSays: Hilarious. I think ANY picture of Snoopy would do that right off, but this is even worse! :D

slambert215

slambert215 said:

I can't believe I still haven't bought this yet. After MaBoShi... well I didn't have enough points.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

a gooey physics-based mini game in the next Madden title

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds just plain wrong?