Xiotex Amazed By Reaction To WiiWare Rebuttal

Posted by Damien McFerran

Xiotex - the small indie developer that was the focus of our rather shocking news story recently – has posted another entry on its/his blog page regarding this sorry state of affairs. It would appear that the tiny devco didn't expect the original blog post to cause such a kerfuffle.

When I started the ‘WiiWare is a lie’ blog post I had no idea it would go as far as it would. Instead of just me venting my frustration after going through a lengthy application process with Nintendo it seems to have taken a life of its own including getting interview requests from people wanting to take it further. While I would like to see Nintendo remain true to their original projected vision of what WiiWare was supposed to be I am by no means on a mission to cause them trouble or trouble for the company I work for by association. If anything this has been an exercise in being careful what you say because you really have no idea how far stories like this can travel.

So much for sticking it to the man!

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

so this guy complains about WiiWare,
and then takes it all back?
Nintendo has captured him. :o

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

hahahhaahah.. Remember, this guy has worked on Gamecube games. That's why he's backpedaling, if he didn't he might not get any more work from them.

konkerdoodle

konkerdoodle said:

"If anything this has been an exercise in being careful what you say because you really have no idea how far stories like this can travel." he typed with a gun to his head.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I read something today which is kind of his last point reworded.

There is an old adage which says, "Don't put anything in an email that you wouldn't want to see on the front page of the New York Times."

So, when are e-mails getting publsihed on the front page of the New York Times?

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

There's nothing whiny about it. Nintendo said one thing, and did another, and he simply made a note about it on his personal blog. I say, if calling that to attention causes people to confront Nintendo, its all for the better. Maybe Nintendo will finally learn some follow through.

Draygone

Draygone said:

Okay, seriously. All he's saying is he didn't mean to cause trouble. He just felt like ranting.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

If you don't have the brass balls to back it up, don't say it in the first place. That's my philosophy. :)

Objection

Objection said:

@Corbie. Yes, but he didnt expect it to go anywhere past his blog comments.
@supermario Of course he was brainwashed! All Ninty workers are zombies! That's how they "choose" such "excellent" choices for VC releases in US nowadays!!

Zombi

Zombi said:

I don't understand what the fuss is with this guy, Nintendo laid out the requirements and, whether you agree with them or not, he didn't meet them. The main argument seems to be that Nintendo are accepting some people without offices but so far the only person who I've heard mentioned in that context is Luc Bernard however the actual game is all being done at Alten8's offices

sailingtheseaoffools

sailingtheseaoffools said:

". The main argument seems to be that Nintendo are accepting some people without offices but so far the only person who I've heard mentioned in that context"

World of Goo but guess what they had an actual game to demo and Nintendo reps saw it. There are likely others as well. Even PSN and Xbox Live Arcade have requirements that they may wave if they see a product or an idea worth waiving.
]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Yes but if you have a blog, you have readers. Or at least you hope you do. And those readers visit other web sites and post on other web sites. I've put my foot in my mouth many times over the years on my blog, so I think anyone that's run a blog for any amount of time knows what to say and what not to say. And if you're going to put it out there for the world to see, you'd better be ready to back it up. Some have to learn that the hard way, myself included. :P

benja86

benja86 said:

told you he was full of (ahem) bull feces
actually i said security risk but i had deleted what i wanted to say
how do we even know he is working on titles right now
this guy is a deush bag

benja86

benja86 said:

(don't think it is the experience they are all that upset about
this guy is most likely a security risk.
i work for the DOD ( department of defense) trust me security risks are not something to be taken lightly especially as secretive as nintendo)

anyways yea wanted to say how do anyone of us really know just from him saying that he worked on GCN or a WII project right now
working on a project doesn't mean you've played them thats like saying you kissed a girl and it was your grandmother

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Maybe they decided to publish the company's game after all if he would just shut and stop complaining. Either way, flip floppers not needed.

Ray

Ray said:

I think this guy is just whining. Perhaps the game he wanted to develop was absolute crap, and maybe he didn't have the correct resources. WiiWare obviously isn't a lie if it's such a success.

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

maybe we're all brainwashed by nintendo... look how crazy everyone goes over a short fat Italian man wearing dungarees.

shenstra

shenstra said:

That's the problem with working in the games industry. You can't vent your frustration without being turned into a rebel leader by the rabid community. If you then go on to clarify that you don't want to lead a revolution, said community will be mad at you for not wanting what they want.

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

I think Zombi is right. Nintendo saying one thing and doing another is not the issue here. The issue is that a steamy little punk got rejected and cried about it on his blog. That doesn't reflect poorly on Nintendo (they have to maintain some quality standards after all), but it does reflect poorly on the crybaby. I think his loudmouth whiner approach only justifies Nintendo's rejection.

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

He was simply pointing out the contradictions between Nintendo's WiiWare mission statement, and reality. Hey, I agree that Nintendo has a responsibility to uphold quality control, but they also have a responsibility to back up what they say. They claimed WiiWare was a forum for smaller developers, and even invited this guy to London's WiiWare summit before rejecting him. I think the main issue here is that they rejected him after evaluating his company, instead of evaluating his proposed game.

I think his only misstep was titling the entry "WiiWare is a lie." Besides that, the blog entry is really merely an observation.

whalleywhat

whalleywhat said:

Groan. The guy was right to say what he did. Nintendo provides no usable information for prospective developers on what their requirements are. The guy just got muzzled cause lawyers got involved. Also: Deep Throat was a steamy punk loudmouth whiner. Nixon was just trying to get his swerve on.