World of Goo - New info and screenshots

Posted by Darren Calvert

I recently caught up with the guys from 2D Boy, the creators of World of Goo, which is one of the more interesting and original games coming to WiiWare to see how it was all going. Our regular readers may remember that way back in February we playtested a early build of World of Goo and the first impressions were excellent. If you think of Tim Burton’s art style mixed with the gameplay of Lemmings and Loco Roco then you won’t be far off the mark.

Anyway, we are all interested to know when we can expect to see this promising game on WiiWare. Sadly the answer is not for a little while yet. Their aim is to finish development on the World of Goo in July, do localisation and then submit to the ratings bodies such as the ESRB. Taking into account Nintendo’s schedule World of Goo may show up in your Wii Shop sometime in September.

Like with all good things, World of Goo definitely seems worth the wait and we’re glad that 2D Boy are not cutting corners to throw it up on WiiWare earlier. The demo was a well crafted, lovely looking product so just imagine how great the final game is going to look and play. We can’t wait!

Check out our World of Goo page for updated in-game screenshots. There is a fresh new trailer you can watch also.

Wiireview123

Wiireview123 said:

lol "watch out for big bad fisty" looks kinda good. BUT SEPTEMBER! i dont think that i can wait that long!

DanAran

DanAran said:

This game look's very promising, but I guess I'll have to wait till september to play.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

I can't wait!! :D

Kenji, this confirms we're not getting it as IGN alleges. Like I said, don't rely on them.

glad to hear more news turn up on this awesome puzzler. :D

Objection

Objection said:

Yeah, IGN and Wikipedia are full of it on RDs. I am curious about the cost but my real question is "localization"? Where is this game being developed? Or do they mean for worldwide release? ME WANT THIS.

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

I hope they translate the ingame text for European Countries :) Don´t forget. There are some children who owns a Wii and want to play the games, too. But in their own language. Not anybody understands and speaks english :)

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Guys the word on the street is the price for World of Goo is not finalised yet, but it will obviously have 4 digits! :p

Check out the latest trailer.

Nero

Nero said:

One of the most interesting games to me. I really really like the art style and the main concept looks very interesting also.

tehub

tehub said:

I'm happy its coming out later, I'm pretty full on my game intake now.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

This is one of the games that's really high on my priority list. I can't wait to play it as I loved Loco Roco and Lemmings.

Objection

Objection said:

Must get and its good timing...since thi summer is Strongbad for me, and the only other one I want in September is Animales de Muertes!

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@Dazza said... [T]he price for World of Goo is not finalised yet, but it will obviously have 4 digits!

That's sad. Anything over 4 digits needs to be a rather spectacular game to catch my interest. I may end up passing on this one. :(

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@thewiirocks - No one suggested it would be over 4 digits did they? :p

Obviously 2D Boy are not ready to confirm the price, other than it will be 1000 points or more. I would say more likely 1500.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@Dazza - From what I've seen, World of Goo strikes me as a game that would do well at 800 points. 1500 points would be incredibly overpriced, IMHO. I have a feeling that the developers (or is it Nintendo?) get all excited about the positive fan responses, then go ahead and put a high price on the game thinking it will sell well.

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that the uber-cheap title Defend Your Castle is now in the #1 spot in North America? Bully for XGen! :)

whalleywhat

whalleywhat said:

Do want. If this game is as full featured as a Lemmings game, with tons of levels, I'll gladly pay 1500 for it. 1500 is a good price for a full game when there isn't $35 worth of DLC piled on top (wink wink). But 1000 points would make this a no-brainer.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Considering that World of Goo was planned to be a full disc based retail game on the Wii, a lot of development time has gone into it. I would not feel short changed at 1500. As good as Defend Your Castle might be, this is really in a different league in terms of production values. Lets wait and see anyway, 2D Boy haven't said anything other than the price will have 4 digits so far so they are obviously evaluating the market carefully.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

If it truly is a full title that happens to be for download, rather than the short WiiWare titles we've been seeing, then I'll agree with you. I just haven't seen anything yet that demonstrates that level of content.

Wait and see, I guess. :)

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

World of Goo = A FULL title. The amount of depth that they're adding into it, they had it set at the price of $20 at the start. They may have changed it but if they don't, I think 1500 would be a great ideal price for them. This game looks too good to pass up. :)

Yatesy

Yatesy said:

Dazza said:

"If you think of Tim Burton’s art style mixed with the gameplay of Lemmings and Loco Roco then you won’t be far off the mark."

That's got me thinking, Lemmings would play great on the Wii! A jazzed-up version of DMA Design's classic suicide simulation would surely be an instant hit on WiiWare. D'you hear me Rockstar North?!