The Sega Master System Rap

Posted by Darren Calvert

Now that the Sega Master System is joining the ranks of consoles that are emulated on the Virtual Console we thought it would be the ideal time to reveal the infamous "Sega Mastermix '90" to the world!

Back in 1990, Virgin (then the UK distributors of Sega hardware and software) were aggressively marketing the Sega Master System and attempting to grab headlines wherever they could. One cunning marketing ploy came in the shape of The Sega Mastermix which was eventually given away free on an audio tape with the best selling UK multiformat magazine Mean Machines. The concept was to allow readers of the magazine to submit their own song about how great Sega were.

Just listening to the mp3 would not do this phat tune justice so we have composed some visuals to go alongside it on Youtube. We hope you enjoy!

In case you couldn't make all the words out, here are the lyrics:

Yo! Nick and Steve, you coming out tonight?
No man, we're staying in to check out our brand new Sega console
Sega! What's that?
Check this out!

Yo! Master System costs from eighty pounds
One-to-eight colours, three channel sound
Yeah they got more games than fish in the docks
Like Operation Wolf and Psycho Fox
Golden Axe R-Type World Games Chase HQ
World Soccer Baseball Wonderboy II
This list of games goes on and on and on
The Sega posse is over hundred strong

CHORUS: Sega, Sega, Sega

Yeah man, sounds dope, tell me more
Yeah OK

As well as a console you get a light phaser
With Wild West War, games to amaze ya
3-D glasses will blow your mind
Better peripherals you cannot find
Def joysticks that simply flow
Rapid fire units, bo, bo, bo
Waiting for games to load is Wik-wak
We say
Sega games load straight away

CHORUS

Blow you mind in a Fantasy Zone
Turn to other consoles - got nobody home
Your mutant just ain't a hit
And your grey imports just don't fit
Into any known British TV
So it's obvious to me
Check out your local dealer
Not for drugs
But for Sega

How d'ya spell that G
S.E.G.A.
The hottest, most respected console on the streets today

CHORUS

Yeah we got the Master System in the house
Yeah Boy!
What is this Sega anyway?
Donatello, Raphaelo, grey imports, pizzas - dis 'em boy!
Gis a go, know what I mean?
Mega Drive, buy one today
Oh come on boys, it's party time, man
(Yeah Sega man)
Wot! Gis a go on your joystick!
We're outta here, like last year
Sega!
Sega!
Mega Outrun
Top-score!
See-ya
Do me a favour!

(Copyright: MCs Nick and Steve, 1990)

Read more about this piece of musical history at the Mean Machines Archive

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

The SNES was just a glint in Nintendo's eye at this point, Kawaii!

Ho11oWxxMaN

Ho11oWxxMaN said:

that was hilarious. The part about checking your local dealer for games not drugs is the best part...nice little find. Its sad people thought this was cool back in the day. :P

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

You have to remember that these were the days when MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice were topping the charts! hehe

AlanEagle

AlanEagle said:

I loved that. Reminded me of being foot loose and fancy free. That and a bit of a console geek. Man I loved SEGA back in the day!

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

Somewhere I have a tape of Cathy Dennis giving out Sega game cheats and tips in between songs. I think it came with "Sega Power".

Do me a favour, plug me into a Sega!

MOB

MOB said:

Oh Good-Lord-Sweet-Baby-Jesus.
THAT WAS BRILLIANT

(sorry, wrong word)
PANTS !!!!
I have been plugging away (not a euphemism) for years telling people that music was much better in the 80's and early 90's.
This has just set back my 'Bring back Hammer' campaign by several days ;o)

MOB x

KhaoShar

KhaoShar said:

Man, at least Hammer had a voice ! Thanks god this was meant as a commercial, that's not like real music,.. isn't it?

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Don't be too hard on it - the guys in question were just readers of the magazine, not professionals!

jones2929

jones2929 said:

Almost as bad as those Mario & Luigi cartoons that were on in the late 80s/early 90s. "Hangin' with the plumbers, you'll be hooked on the brothers!"

Seriously, stuff like this is fantastic nostalgia.

MOB

MOB said:

I quite liked the Mario Cartoon.........

I'll get my coat.

Boredom_v2_2

Boredom_v2_2 said:

VC:R's first ever song review! You guys should make a song about VC:R! It shouldn't be too hard!

Tim

Tim said:

This song gave me a headache and made me laugh at the same time. And I didn't get the headache from laughing in case you are wondering. Still, I enjoyed this retro moment :)