Forums

Topic: Xenoblade is coming to U.S. as a gamestop exclusive

Posts 141 to 160 of 213

Ryno

Knux wrote:

I love how people are complaining about Xenoblade being a Gamestop exclusive. Be grateful we are getting it at all, you whiners.

Huh, didn't notice the "whiners" amidst all the what classifies as an RPG debate going on.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

shingi_70

May buy two or three copies to Hawk on ebay for $100 when people start to look for a copy when the Wii U hits.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

DarkLloyd

Mickeymac wrote:

mariofanatic128 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

BlackFira wrote:

is this turn based or action based?

It's turn-based but with some real-time elements (you can move around and stuff).

Regular attacks are done automatically,

That's still called Turn-based. If it were an action-RPG, you'd have some control over when you attack, but you don't. It's decided for you in a round-like fashion. I know, it's kinda weird. Someone else explained it to me when I was complaining about another game with similar gameplay. In other words, it's a mix.

thanks guys

Edited on by DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd

John-John

Does Xenoblade have a huge backstory that would be difficult to get-to-know without reading up on the franchise first? I've never even heard of these games until this year.

John-John

shingi_70

John-John wrote:

Does Xenoblade have a huge backstory that would be difficult to get-to-know without reading up on the franchise first? I've never even heard of these games until this year.

Its all self contained so you should be good.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

JGMR

John-John wrote:

It has quite a touching and proper story (I do not know it entirely) but one thing is for sure; any knowledge of the Xeno-series is not necessary...

EDIT : What shingi_70 said!

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

JGMR

Anybody interested in Xenoblade Chronicles for the price of € 250,00?

here

With kind regards,

JGMR

Wheels2050

tendoboy1984 wrote:

And Fallout being an RPG is news to me.

Careful there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_2

Fallout 3 may be different, but the first two are most definitely RPGs. Also, you mentioned that Final Fantasy VII initiated the rise of RPGs in the west - I suggest you go and read up on Ultima, Wizardry, SSI's D&D games etc. I don't know about on console, but the PC has a long history of RPGs that far predates the release of FFVII.

EDIT: That's also pretty neat that Nintendo sells directly in the USA - having a look through their store, they have a good range of replacement parts and the like. I don't know where to go to get those things in Australia.

Edited on by Wheels2050

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

JGMR

Wheels2050 wrote:

I suggest you go and read up on Ultima, Wizardry, SSI's D&D games etc. I don't know about on console, but the PC has a long history of RPGs that far predates the release of FFVII.

90s_Gamer wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

90s_Gamer wrote:

JRPGs were never that popular in the West until a little game from Japan, called Final Fantasy VII came along in 1997. It's a miracle that it even found a ever-growing base here in the West I'd say.

Ok let me get this straight:
Final Fantasy 7 came around and started a rise in popularity in RPG's, but then the Western RPG started to grow and outpaced the JRPG. So now the JRPG market (aside from Square Enix's games) is back to being a niche, and the Western RPG dominates.

So in a way the RPG market in America is like the shooter market in Japan...

Is that right?

I'd say that the old Ultima and Elder Scrolls series (Western RPGs) were almost infinitely more popular and known amosngst Western gamers than a game like, let's say...Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest during the NES and SNES periods...

Final Fantasy VII, due to it's strong marketing by Sony introduced the 'main audience' in the West to another form of RPG...the JRPG!

The few hardcore gamers were of course already familiar with games like Secret Of Mana, Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest...

Success also has a downside due to expectations and limitations...but I think that JRPGs in general deserve a lot of more respect from the Western audience, but that's just my opinion...

With kind regards,

JGMR

JGMR

How many people know for instance that Miyamoto (and his Zelda) was directly influenced by the Ultima series?

With kind regards,

JGMR

LordTendoboy

Wheels2050 wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

And Fallout being an RPG is news to me.

Careful there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_2

Fallout 3 may be different, but the first two are most definitely RPGs. Also, you mentioned that Final Fantasy VII initiated the rise of RPGs in the west - I suggest you go and read up on Ultima, Wizardry, SSI's D&D games etc. I don't know about on console, but the PC has a long history of RPGs that far predates the release of FFVII.

EDIT: That's also pretty neat that Nintendo sells directly in the USA - having a look through their store, they have a good range of replacement parts and the like. I don't know where to go to get those things in Australia.

Not talking about PC games. I'm only talking about console games. For console games, Final Fantasy 7 is when JRPG's hit the big time, and ever since then, the genre has had it's ups and downs. But so have plenty of other genres like fighting games, platformers, survival horror, racing, arcade, etc. The only genre that has been consistently popular over the past 15 years is the first-person shooter (and third-person shooter derivatives).

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

LordTendoboy

90s_Gamer wrote:

How many people know for instance that Miyamoto (and his Zelda) was directly influenced by the Ultima series?

If the Ultima series is so popular then why aren't there more games being made?

Same with Elder Scrolls. The 2 games everyone talks about are Oblivion and Skyrim, but what about all the other games? You never hear about the rest of the series anymore.

[...

V8_Ninja

I just thought I would leave this here;

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

JGMR

tendoboy1984 wrote:

90s_Gamer wrote:

If the Ultima series is so popular then why aren't there more games being made?

Same with Elder Scrolls. The 2 games everyone talks about are Oblivion and Skyrim, but what about all the other games? You never hear about the rest of the series anymore.

The Ultima series was popular, it spanned I believe 7 sequels, including an online one.
As for the Elder Scrolls; especially Daggerfall is regarded as an instant classic. The first two games were even free to download when Oblivion was released if I remember correctly... The series continues, so what's the problem?

With kind regards,

JGMR

LzWinky

Untitled

This thread is interesting

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LordTendoboy

90s_Gamer wrote:

As for the Elder Scrolls; especially Daggerfall is regarded as an instant classic. The first two games were even free to download when Oblivion was released if I remember correctly... The series continues, so what's the problem?

I'm guessing the Elder Scrolls series was exclusive to the PC, cause the first I heard of it was Morrowind on the original Xbox. Then all of a sudden Oblivion came out on the Xbox 360 and changed everything.

Anyways, it can't be that popular, cause more people recognize Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda, GTA, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Sonic, etc. as established brands. The Elder Scrolls games really got recognition this gen with Oblivion and Skyrim.

It seems like that's been the trend this gen: Take a franchise that's popular on the PC and adapt it for consoles, then it gets more recognition and becomes popular. Not a bad strategy at all.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

[...

Aviator

lz20XX wrote:

Untitled

This game is interesting

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

LordTendoboy

@Aviator

This is interesting:
How to fix Final Fantasy

Edited on by LordTendoboy

[...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.