Forums

Topic: Xenoblade is coming to U.S. as a gamestop exclusive

Posts 201 to 213 of 213

Bankai

kkslider5552000 wrote:

mariofanatic128 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

well yeah, that helps, but the quality of every other 3rd party Wii game didn't exactly keep that in the public's eye.

Every other 3rd party Wii game? Xenoblade chronicles is first party, not third party as Monolith are owned by Nintendo and Nintendo did oversee the development of the game and give some input into it.

I don't know how I forgot this. I should have just said "any original Wii game that is good".

I often forget about that too. Monolith only became Nintendo's with this game and I still have fond memories of Baten Kaitos, which is decidedly not Nintendo, which might be why (for me, anyway)

NX01Trekkie1992

YellowChocobo wrote:

zezzy wrote:

Hmm, I guess definitions of words aren't allowed to change through time.

Not while the original definition is in common use. That just gets confusing then.

But then, I'm in a thread where people are talking about Zelda being an RPG. Lost cause here.

I still don't get how people can rationalize calling anything other than Zelda II an RPG, Skyward Sword is CLOSE to an RPG, but not quite there, still very much an action adventure game with the tiniest hint of RPG elements.

tendoboy1984 wrote:

And Fallout being an RPG is news to me. I always thought it was like Mass Effect, a 3rd-person shooter with minimal RPG elements. You might as well call God of War an RPG too, since you gain orbs ("experience points") that you can use to upgrade your weapons.

Mass Effect does NOT have minimal RPG elements, in fact, the RPG elements are some of the strongest I can think of, classes with different abilities, leveling up with experience, spending points on skills/attributes, upgradable weapons with different qualities, and gathering resources and money for those upgrades, add that to the system of choices that determine the outcome of the plot, and you have an RPG, plain and simple

NX01Trekkie1992

Bankai

add that to the system of choices that determine the outcome of the plot, and you have an RPG, plain and simple

Yeah, bingo. That is the defining attribute for an RPG to indeed be an RPG.

"Playing a role" does not mean "Being pulled through a story." It does not even mean "being pulled through a story with the option of being pulled through some non-essential sidequests."

The entire premise on which RPGs were founded was in taking control of one (not multiples, one) actor within a free-flowing theatre performance. The mechanics of real RPGs are merely there to provide structure and the physics through with the performance happens, but the very idea of having a "conclusion" to an RPG is just laughable.

What most videogame people think of as "RPGs" are, in fact, linear adventure stories. Which is cool and all, but they're not Role Playing Games. You can't be playing a role if your actions have no meaning aside from pushing the pre-destined story forwards.

KaiserGX

This is an RPG right here.

I took my Sword ready in hand as YellowChocobo stalked up on supplies... when the ground shook... we were confronted with a behemoth of a monster! I fell back at his impressive build and power. I swung with a mighty force but my blade was wedged deep within his external armor like body

(Then YellowChocobo)

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Bankai

KaiserGX wrote:

This is an RPG right here.

I took my Sword ready in hand as YellowChocobo stalked up on supplies... when the ground shook... we were confronted with a behemoth of a monster! I fell back at his impressive build and power. I swung with a mighty force but my blade was wedged deep within his external armor like body

(Then YellowChocobo)

Then YellowChocobo ran the hell the other way.

Chocobos are yellow for a reason

Gamesake

KaiserGX wrote:

Player 2 is dead.

I always hated him.

YellowChocobo wrote:

I still have fond memories of Baten Kaitos

I kind of liked that game too. Maybe Xenoblade will end up being better than it looks and surprise me.

...in my pants.

NX01Trekkie1992

walks in and uses a ward to keep beast away from Kaisers body and uses a spell to revive Kaiser, prepares spells to slay beast

NX01Trekkie1992

Gamesake

@KaiserGX Oh, you were Player 2? I didn't mean what I posted, I'm completely indifferent towards Player 2.

...in my pants.

JGMR

The game is so amazing...

Untitled

I'm currently here at Level 40

With kind regards,

JGMR

motang

I know Nintendo.com will also sell it, but I do hope Nintendo would make a big deal and market it and also have event for it at the Nintendo World Store.

NIN10DO

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.