Forums

Topic: Wii Recommendations Thread

Posts 341 to 360 of 926

n0body

GuardianAcorn wrote:

@Mickeymac I had problems with the nunchuck at first but if you do the movement correctly it works every time.

How do you get it to work consistently? I love the idea of dodging with the nunchuck but it dodges in the wrong direction far too often.. Reminds me of the dodge move in Battalion Wars 2, which I also wanted to love but could never control with precision.

n0body

rolLTheDice

@bobbiKat: I've only played Cursed Mountain yet. I liked the creepy, ghostly atmosphere very much. Your character always feels very exhausted, at the brink of losing sanity or even his life and is constantly clinging to his great values and the little hope left in him.
The other aspects of the game aren't really spectacular. You're not really pressed to hurry, there's not too much exploration and the fights aren't very varied.
I still found the game very enjoyable. Though it's not your typical blockbuster experience here.

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

SKTTR

bobbiKat wrote:

Hello, any recommendations for horror games on Wii, preferably with emphasis on atmosphere? I love Resident Evil, but ever since 5, I need something else to fulfill my horror games craving (not that I stopped loving Resident Evil).

Emphasis on atmosphere and story depth:

• Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
  • Cursed Mountain
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Bankai

Kaiser: Samurai Warriors 3 is my favourite game on the Wii, and most played (even more than Chocobo Dungeon). I do think that has a lot to do with my interest in Japanese history, but I don't believe for a moment that the game is a "button masher" or "dull."

I wrote a review for it - I can't post the link here, but I don't mind copy/ pasting parts of ther review for you:

The game's venerable Dynasty Warriors heritage will be immediately familiar to fans. Taking control of one of a massive line-up of heroes, you'll be wading through entire armies and racking up 500+ kill counts in 20 minute increments. Nominally, you’re fighting as one part of a larger army, but in reality you’re the one who’s going to do all the fighting.

What makes it a compelling experience is the visceral impact that the limited combos and special attacks have. There isn't a great deal of variety in what you'll be doing, but there is a genuine feeling of power that you'll experience as you charge towards an entire enemy unit, knowing that they’re about to be scattered like leaves in a hurricane.

It helps that the game is very pretty. Nintendo decided to step in and publish the game for English-speaking audiences, much like it did with Capcom's Monster Hunter Tri, and much like that dino-slaughtering epic, Samurai Warriors 3 pushes the Wii to the limit. Character models are reasonably detailed and smoothly animated, and there can be as many as 50 on the screen at once.

There's also a whole lot of data crunching going on in the background: units on the opposite side of the map to your character will clash with one another and the tides of battle will ebb and flow around you. It's an impressive effort on Koei's part to create a breathing battlefield on the Wii's limited capabilities.

It also helps that the game is rooted in Japanese history. Anyone who has done some study of Japan's past will recognise the names and the back stories of the characters. Participating as these historical figures in epic battles is like taking control of Hannibal on his campaign against the ancient Romans - and then decimating the entire population of Rome single-handedly.

On booting the game up for the first time, do make sure you switch the language option to Japanese to get a more authentic experience (and to get rid of the English voice actors, who are terrible). It's still subtitled, so you won't miss any of the political dramas going on in the background, and you'll be getting the most out of one of the game's finest features — the genuine history and culture that frames the violence.

Each of the game's 40-odd characters has their own story arc. Just playing through all of them will take you a long time, but beyond that there's a 'create a fighter' mode, some online options, and a whole bunch of weapons and armour to buy and upgrade. Much like Monster Hunter Tri, this game will eat into your time in a staggering way.

4.5/5

KaiserGX

Yes, I keep hearing everyone say all it is, is a smasher but I just looked at Sean's reviews and yours and say not so. I don't know anything about Japanese History but I do have an interest in learning in general. I hear there's a Murasame Mode... and I noticed there's a game on the Famicom called Mystery of Murasame Castle, any correlation? If so what exactly is it, I've seen a video and shows a over world map. There's a current listing on Amazon for very cheap and I could get 2 copies for me and a friend (he was the one interested in the game and showed me/persuaded me to get it as well since it has wi-fi). He has never played it but has played Dynesty Warriors which he claims is similar.

Going to check out your site though.

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Bankai

KaiserGX wrote:

Yes, I keep hearing everyone say all it is, is a smasher but I just looked at Sean's reviews and yours and say not so. I don't know anything about Japanese History but I do have an interest in learning in general. I hear there's a Murasame Mode... and I noticed there's a game on the Famicom called Mystery of Murasame Castle, any correlation? If so what exactly is it, I've seen a video and shows a over world map. There's a current listing on Amazon for very cheap and I could get 2 copies for me and a friend (he was the one interested in the game and showed me/persuaded me to get it as well since it has wi-fi). He has never played it but has played Dynesty Warriors which he claims is similar.

Going to check out your site though.

The Murasame mode is based loosely on that NES classic (and was done in partnership with Nintendo - the mode was removed for the PS3 release in Japan). It's a fantasy story, but otherwise doesn't do that much differently to the main game - it's still a Warriors game, and not really related to the original game. You can use your own created character though, that's a neat touch, and it can be played with online multiplayer (let me know if you do get the game, I still play from time to time).

It is similar to Dynasty Warriors games, except of course this is about Japanese history, and not Chinese history. Might sound like a small difference, but the impact is huge. I prefer Samurai Warriors because I find Japanese history more interesting, despite the quality of the games being about the same.

WiiAboutU

Can anyone tell me if "X-MEN Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse" is any good? I'm looking for a good retail rpg, that I might be able to find on sale or clearance.

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

Tasuki

WiiAboutU wrote:

Can anyone tell me if "X-MEN Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse" is any good? I'm looking for a good retail rpg, that I might be able to find on sale or clearance.

Its ok personally I liked Marvel: Ultimate Alliance better.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

WiiAboutU

Thanks @Tasuki which Ultimate Alliance is better on Wii 1 or 2? And why do think it was better than Legends? Or do you think there's a better choice than these for Wii?

Edited on by WiiAboutU

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

Tasuki

Actually if you plan on playing the Ultimate Alliance games start with the first one because the second one is a continuation of the first game. If you play the second one first you might not understand it and miss some of the references.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

WiiAboutU

Is there any other rpgs that you believe would be a better choice?

kkslider5552000

you could just take a break between parts of the game? There's 2 perfect opportunities to do that too.

I'm pretty sure Twilight Princess took me as long btw.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Jango-Forest

@WaveBoy I can't remember exactly how long Okami took me, but every single hour was worth it. There's a point halfway through the game where you think it must be over, but it only goes and doubles in length. When that happened I was as happy as a sand-boy and I couldn't wait to explore the myriad of new locations it offered damn, that's cheesy. One of my favourite gaming moments.
In short, it was 40 hours of supreme JOY. I strongly recommend you see it through to the end (unless you realise you hate it, in which case that would be pointless).

Edited on by Jango-Forest

Jango-Forest

KaiserGX

That actually pissed me off. There were I think 3 instances where I thought it was the ending... The game was alright and all but I wanted to be done with it already. When I saw the Ark of bosses, I said MEGAMAN. Then I knew it was over and I was happy taking down the last set of bosses. Btw Yami is a Bakugan.... lol

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

WiiAboutU

I'm looking for the most enjoyable retail rpg I can find. Can someone please tell me which if any of these rpgs would be my overall best bet? I enjoy depth in customization, side quests and character development. I'll also expect well designed environments, an intriguing plot and storyline. A worthy soundtrack would be appreciated as well. (<:
1) Arc Rise Fantasia
2) Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga
3) Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and Tower of Mirrors
4) Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
5) Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

WiiAboutU

Any input would be helpful and greatly appreciated. (<:

SKTTR

WiiAboutU wrote:

I'm looking for the most enjoyable retail rpg I can find. Can someone please tell me which if any of these rpgs would be my overall best bet? I enjoy depth in customization, side quests and character development. I'll also expect well designed environments, an intriguing plot and storyline. A worthy soundtrack would be appreciated as well. (<:
1) Arc Rise Fantasia
2) Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga
3) Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and Tower of Mirrors
4) Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
5) Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

I don't know Arc Rise Fantasia (not out in EU) but I own the other 4.

depth in customization, side quests and character development, worthy soundtrack = ELDAR SAGA

story, intriguing plot = SAKURA WARS

well designed environments, worthy soundtrack = FRAGILE DREAMS

DRAGON QUEST SWORDS ain't bad though, but it has none of the things you really want.

Edited on by SKTTR

WiiAboutU

Thank you @SKTTR, how were the other 4 games you own? Of the others you clarified, Vahalla Knights and Sukura Wars seem to be what I'd probably choose. Which of these two would you say is the most rounded choice to fit my taste?

Edited on by WiiAboutU

SKTTR

I don't know your taste. Eldar Saga and Sakura Wars are totally different from each other.

Sakura Wars is a mix of two styles of gameplay: One is forming relationships (character development) with the girls you work with by answering multiple choice questions and doing different tasks and/or choosing certain places to go to while having time off work. You got some freedom (only limited by the areas you've unlocked), and depending on what you do you get to know different personal stuff about the characters. Some chapters vary enormously depending on your decisions. For the first playthrough I recommend just playing yourself and don't worry too much about the mistakes you do (some mistakes can be good in the end). The other gameplay style is when you are at work: strategic roundbased battle. It's very different from everything else in the genre I had known so far. I was scared that this part would be lame, but it's pretty good, always throwing something new and interesting at you.

Eldar Saga is a long action RPG with a skill system reminiscent of PC-RPG's. The skill system might be the best part of it as it is just addicting to level up your character and distribute skill points to stuff you want. If you know PC-RPG's you know what to expect: You can change jobs (Fighter, Thief, Priest, Bard, etc.) in the city hub and learn their skills; they got quite a bunch of useful and interesting stuff that enhances your character so you likely want to learn something from all jobs to have a wellrounded char. There's also a weapon/item forgery that is kinda deep. Grinding is actually very rewarding as you can not only choose the skills you want to upgrade on the go, but also the stats (attack, defense, luck, etc.) Later on in the game - you can also have other races (you start with a human). Also, there are 20 online quests (with friendcodes) for up to 4 players.

That was a basic rundown. Any specifics you want to know? Personally I got each game for 19.99. They were worth it. I'm happy with these 2 games. I'm happy with Fragile Dreams (also 19.99) and Dragon Quest Swords (14.99) too. They're all nice.

Pick what you want! For a good price they come all recommended anyway.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic