Forums

Topic: NSMB Wiis new "help" system

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

Slapshot

I was reading a recent interview in NP about NSMB Wii and Miyamoto states that to games new "help" system as I like to call it will actually take complete control of the character from the player and play thru a hard spot for the gamer. "It's like having a good friend next to you when your in a tight spot" was what he said. To me (my opinion) this defeats the whole purpose of playing a game in the first place. NSMB DS was a very easy game and Im sure the Wii version will be too. Easy but fun a heck. My question is that is this because of the "we dont want anyone to feel like they lost or defeated" that seems to be spreading around the world? Games are built to challenge the player, and some for pure enjoyment but nontheless some sorts of challenge and if the game itself in turn plays itself why play the game at all. I remember being 3yrs old and couldn't beat the 1-1 on Mario World NES. The game didn't beat it for me, I learned how. Now I can pick up a Contra game and blow through them from the practice Ive had a 2D games. Guitars dont play themselves the player has to learn to play it and if it did play it self then people prob wouldn't want to achieve greatness that they do now simply because anyone can pick it up and do it cause it "helps" you. What do you guys/girls think? This is my opinion but it really disturbes me greatly. To me this it taking the gaming out of a game and not only that its my gaming hero Miyamoto doing it with my all time fav Mario as well. I cherish my younger gaming years greatly as most everyone that reads this does too and this to me will make younger gamers not have that respect for a game you get when you beat that level you have tried a hundred time because the game will beat it for them. Maybe its just me though!

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

theblackdragon

as long as there's an option to play without the 'help' system, i don't see a problem. it's almost like asking an older sibling or cousin to show you how it's done (i asked for help from my older cousins all the time in hard spots during games), just without having to have someone around to do so in the first place. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Stevie

Ye, as long as it is a optional feature then there is no problem at all, i remember being young and being frustrated at not being able to pass a certain point in a game , so for younger gamers this will be of benefit. For veterans we can just pretend it doesn't exist, everybody's happy.

Edited on by Stevie

Slapshot

I do agree but it doesn't sound like there will be from what ive read and that disturbes me. Bad enough at how the games seem to always get easier and easier then this. Just isn't right.

SpentAllMyTokens

As long as I can pretend it isn't there, I don't care. This is really just one step above codebooks.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

SpentAllMyTokens

As long as I can pretend it isn't there, I don't care. This is really just one step above codebooks.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

mrmicawber

How about in Twilight Princess where you run into that puzzle where the 2 statues jump when you do and you have to move them to their spots? LOL - I would demo play that in a heartbeat, as it was I ran to gamefaqs.....

It just depends, obviously I will have no problems with New Super WIi, but I bet people who are down on this will use it more than they say.....

It is in the same vein as that 2nd hand in Mario Galaxy, and that has applications beyond just helping people - Miyamoto is a genius, he breaks ground in new ways, I say more power to him. Creative thinking.

IGN: The holiday Wii lineup looks thin for the hardcore crowd. We see this. Gamers see this. What, if anything, is Nintendo planning to address it?

Oh good, I am neither a gamer or hardcore. Saves me from having to be IGNorant.
Right, Down, A, Down, Right, Up

Slapshot

@mrmicawber...... I just read another thread you created and it about this "new generation" of gamers and it contradicts your post here.

mrmicawber

How so, you lost me....?

IGN: The holiday Wii lineup looks thin for the hardcore crowd. We see this. Gamers see this. What, if anything, is Nintendo planning to address it?

irken004

mrmicawber wrote:

How about in Twilight Princess where you run into that puzzle where the 2 statues jump when you do and you have to move them to their spots? LOL - I would demo play that in a heartbeat, as it was I ran to gamefaqs.....

It just depends, obviously I will have no problems with New Super WIi, but I bet people who are down on this will use it more than they say.....

It is in the same vein as that 2nd hand in Mario Galaxy, and that has applications beyond just helping people - Miyamoto is a genius, he breaks ground in new ways, I say more power to him. Creative thinking.

I 2nd that remark about Twilight Princess.

Edited on by irken004

mrmicawber

Sorry still lost, be more specific?

Oh I think I get it - I said I wanted to play, not watch.

And I stand by that, but this is not cinema. That puzzle was a brain buster for me, I am a simpleton. I want to play Zelda, not solve a TOUGH logic puzzle. So I would demo play past it, and on I would go - back to me playing Zelda!

Edited on by mrmicawber

Adam

I think you're confused here, Genie. Slapshot and Irken are not the same person. I don't know why you'd need to say you're "still lost" when the guy hasn't responded yet. I'm not sure what Slapshot's getting at, either, but Irken was commenting on something unrelated.

As for Twilight Princess, I must have gotten lucky because I got the puzzle on my first try, and I'm usually awful at that sort of thing. The new help system for Mario Wii is a great idea. If I get stuck in a game, I don't even bother going to GameFAQs. I just quit. Judging by the last New Super Mario Brothers, I'm sure I won't need to even think about using the help feature, but it's still a great concept.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Slapshot

@mrmicawler....I was commenting on your thread "This New Generation of Gamers". To me it sounded like you were very frustrated about games being easy or mini sized and it sounded like you landed in the hardcore gamer genre. But yeah Im glad im in the minority on this one and after putting some thought to it I guess if Im playing online with 3 other and one is a kid instead of him dying constantly it helping him out. SO its kinda neat and if it means they are going to start making the games harder with this system to help ones who cant hang Im all for it entirely. Im just frustrated at how easy everything Nintendo has become. I beat Metroil Corruption on the hardest setting and never died and thats just pathetic. Im playing Uncharted on Crushing and you Will Die and have to be really good at the game or you will NOT beat it and thats how I like my games.

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.