Forums

Topic: Metroid "Other M" 2010

Posts 1 to 20 of 38

zane

EPIC WIN.
Team Ninja doing metroid was the only thing that made the show really worthwhile.
It seems to me that this will cater all of us guys who are obsessed with gaming and games. And to everyone wishing for a 2d metroid, wasn't there a couple of scenes in the trailer that hinted at 2D scenes sort of like a mixture as in Super paper mario.

What is your opinion.

Old Nintendofan from up north...

Chatham

I'm really excited. It looks like Metroid on the Ninja Gaiden engine... which is epic in and of itself. I think the "2D" scenes were an interesting camera angle situation, NG had lots of them in its gameplay.

By the way Zane, I'm adding your console and Brawl FCs, add mine please.

Email: mallrat425@hotmail.com
PSN N...

ItsFuzzyPickles

Sounds like an even more epic game. Will this finally be the first major Nintendo franchise that gets an M rating? If so, then let blood spill because I'm getting this game for sure! (Scream for joy!)

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

Adam

I hate the Ninja Gaiden games in 3D, but this looks awesome regardless. Easily the most interesting game shown all E3.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

zane

Oh pleeeease no m-rating.... That sucks...

Old Nintendofan from up north...

Adam

I don't think Nintendo will allow an M rating, and nothing in the trailer suggested anything beyond a T rating.

Come on, friends,

KoKoO_Psy

The internet seem to rejoice over this, but i think it is complete crap.
I watched the trailer a couple of times, and i am not feeling it.
This isn't metroid. Metroid isn't this story heavy, sci-fi action game. I am sure it will be a good game, but i see it, and it isn't a metroid game. It is just painted in metroid colour.

KoKoO_Psy

Kizzi

@KoKoO_Psy:
I think they are starting fresh now that they completed the MP trilogy.
I think having it be different is a good thing!

3DS: 4081-5713-4255
wii: 0919 8248 3945 8359
Brawl: 3866 8155 2677
MK: 4167 4898 3288
excite bots: 1848 9258 6300

Chatham

KoKoO_Psy wrote:

Metroid isn't this story heavy, sci-fi action game.

You've obviously never played Metroid games... Sure Team Ninja always goes "over the top" with action and story... But Metroid has ALWAYS had a story, and always been centered more around action and platforming, something Team Ninja excelled at with the Ninja Gaiden remakes. Going back to third-person with a new developer could be more refreshing than the first Metroid Prime.

Edited on by Chatham

Email: mallrat425@hotmail.com
PSN N...

Adam

@Kokoo
If you try to play the original Metroid as anything but an action game, you are going to die very quickly. Well, most will probably die very quickly regardless, but you will continue dying quickly if you can't keep up with the action.

There's a lot of enemies and a lot of shooting and some tough platforming sometimes, too. The only complaint you have that I see as valid based on what a Metroid game should traditionally have is story, but every Metroid game since the original has gradually added more story to it, so I've basically just given up on it by now. It does look more interesting than Prime 3's though, fortunately, and Adam was a good character in Fusion, not too intrusive. I'm glad to see him back. He lives up to his awesome name.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Adam

@Chatham
Not really. Play the original Metroid again. There's no text, no cut scenes, nothing. Metroid II still stays text free and only adds some short moments where you hear a rumbling to suggest something happening elsewhere. No cinematics still. Super Metroid adds very, very little to this formula after the opening. Prime added a lot of back story in optional scans. Metroid Fusion and Prime 2 had the first really involved stories. Prime 3 had the biggest story yet, though it was pretty bad, I thought. The trend has been to add more and more story to each game, but it was not always a huge part of the series, if a part at all unless you count the back story in the instructions and opening screen. Personally, I preferred it that way, but I'm open to this. Fusion's story was good, and this is clearly inspired more by Fusion than the atrocious Prime series (okay, it wasn't atrocious, but I'm trying to provoke Chicken here, so let's run with it).

Come on, friends,

Pegasus

This one certainly came out of nowhere. Looks interesting. I'll probably pick this one up. Something a little new and different, while giving Metroid a bit more cinematic flair, could breath in some fresh air into the franchise.

Mario Forever! (free nipple suit and gratuitous butt-shots included)
PSN: MisterMumbles82

ND799

I dislike the Metroid series, but this game looks great, and since Team Ninja is developing it, I know I have to try it out

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein on the Wii

nintendan

i hope majority of the game is 3rd person. 1st person ruined prime IMO. i could never get into them even though i loved metroid and SM as a kid.

nintendan

KoKoO_Psy

@Chatham and Adam
Metroid always had a story, but it wasn't heavy. But my bigest grip lies in the fact that it looks like a action game. Not a adventure game. Beat em up if you will. Metroid to me, has always been about exploration, and then blasting some stuff along the way. What i was presented was not the metroid i love. I should also note, that whine Prime games were great games, they didn't feel like metroid games. and i think feel is the most important thing.

It will no doubt be a good product. But i dont think it will feel like a metroid game.

KoKoO_Psy

Corbs

I'm excited to see the new direction they're taking the game in. I'm not a huge fan of FPS-type games.

Plain old gamer :)

feba

To everyone complaining that it's not like the Metroid they know and love, I have a short list.

Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and pretty much every other game that made the transition from 2D to 3D intact.
Resident Evil 4.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Super Mario RPG.
Luigi's Mansion.
and Metroid Prime itself.

These are all fairly radical departures from where the series had been, and they're all very well respected. Metroid Prime itself was very controversial when people first found it would be an FPS. Now, there are people that put Prime above the 2D games they were raving about. Mario as an RPG seems absolutely dense, and yet it's one of the most loved SNES games. SOTN took the series from more of a platform action bent into the Metroidvania field, and is again one of the most loved and respected games on its platform.

feba

Jockolantern

I adore the Metroid series and I loved the direction Retro Studios took with Metroid Prime. All three are terrific games.

And I'm equally excited at the new direction Team Ninja is taking the series, gameplay-wise. I'm also pumped about the Metroid Fusion-esque storytelling weight the game looks to have as well as the incredible visuals and classic Metroid enemies in abundance.

To borrow an outdated term, color me very excited.

Jockolantern

retired_account

There's no way Nintendo would let this be M, however hardcore it is. And from the trailer, it's definitely a T so far.

retired_account

Adam

Kokoo, I just said there is no in-game storytelling. Everything is in the manual, which most people (hello) don't read, and even what'st here is quite minimal and hardly passable as a fleshed out story. I actually liked that about the game. As a kid I could imagine my own story as I was playing it and then retell it to my friends later on. The game relies much more heavily on mood and atmosphere than in-your-face narrative like Prime 3 or to a lesser extent Prime 2 and Fusion.

But like I said, I am resigned to Metroid's departure from this approach. Even Mario games have little by little added more and more story into their games, though fortunately Galaxy made it mostly optional. It is just a trend in game series overall.

Come on, friends,

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.