Forums

Topic: Goldeneye 007 Wii in 2016

Posts 1 to 20 of 26

Konda

Hi guys!
Is it still worth to pick up Goldeneye 007 for Wii now in 2016? Does the game get frequently played online by people?
I have somehow got my lust back for a Nintendo FPS after all these years again. I don't think I have played any since the original for the N64, which got played almost every day with the friends back as a kid, with the exceptions of also playing Perfect Dark and Metroid Prime if it also counts as a FPS on Nintendo. Another main FPS shooter to me was Counter-Strike for the PC between 1999-2004. COD, Battlefield never got my interest since they don't seem to resemble this "Head-Shot-feeling as in Counter-Strike". So now I'm lusting for a Nintendo FPS again (without having the opportunity of local multiplayer anymore)..

Since the original for the N64 will probably never come to the Virtual Console and since I don't have my N64 anymore, could I enjoy this Wii entry in 2016 enough to justify the purchase? Will it give me a good enough single-player experience and Nostalgia to the original 64 (maybe a bit?, cuz I've heard it's slightly different). And very interestingly, does the game get played online from enough people to enjoy the online experience?
Btw, does the Wii Version have the multiplayer stages from the original N64 aswell?

When there's a big demand from the NintendoLife community I would gladly start up a regulary community with a forum-topic for match-ups for the game again. (If I get the game, hehe)

Thanks in advance!

Edited on by Konda

Konda

Konda

From what I've been reading it's online function is still up and running.
That the shutdown just affects Nintendos First-Party titles servers. Many Third-Party developers still have their servers up running.

Konda

Shinion

I think you're mistaken. Even third party titles like Monster Hunter Tri and COD no longer work online on Wii IIRC. That is a single player only game right now.

Shinion

DrkBndr

No, some games still have their online functionality. I've played Goldeneye 007 last year on my Wii U, and you could still play with others online. It was, however, very laggy and almost every game was hacked. Since I had my Wii U, I had to start over and, because of hackers, I've become lvl 33 in 1 hour playtime, so I'm not sure if you'll find it any fun this way.
I'm from Europe, by the way, I'm not sure if the same applies in the US, but I'm guessing it is.

The reason why Goldeneye and Call of Duty games (sans World at War) are still up and running, is because Activision use their own servers instead of the Gamefly servers Nintendo and other publishers used for their games.

Edited on by DrkBndr

DrkBndr

Konda

So how good is the single player camapign? Is it worth a purschase as used for around 6-10 Euros or should I rather spend the money on new games? Else I still got 2 of the 3 Metroid games from the Metroid Trilogy to play waiting for me to get played and The Last Story aswell.

Konda

DrkBndr

Tasuki wrote:

@DrkBndr: I think you meant Gamespy, GameFly is an online game rental service like Netflix.

Yeah, you're right lol

@Konda: The singleplayer is alright but nothing amazing or so. I think it's only 10 hours long or so. The single player is a mix of deus ex human revolution and call of duty, as you can choose to be stealthy or just go in guns blazing, though sometimes you have no choice but to do the latter. It's more like call of duty, though.

DrkBndr

sc100

If you loved the N64 version, I think you'll also enjoy the Wii version as well, and would be a worthwhile pickup for 6-10 Euros. I liked how the same story was told but this time using Daniel Craig and you have new level elements and weapons. So you get the Goldeneye nostagia but with a lot of new things thrown in to also keep things fresh. I loved the online portion and played it a ton. I didn't know the servers were still up. I'll definitely check it out again. I don't think any of the online stages are from the N64 version.

sc100

TonyBoySP

Right now, Golden Eye 007 for Wii still works online.

Edited on by TonyBoySP

TonyBoySP

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4515-0553 | Nintendo Network ID: TonyBoySP

RR529

Thinking about picking this up again (had it a long time ago, but even though I liked it, I sold it before I beat it).

It looks like Amazon still has new copies for $10, so if I have enough on my Amazon account, I might add it to my order when I buy FE: Fates.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DarkEdi

Activision games like GoldenEye or CoD continue online (i think so, i haven´t checked)

Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintendo Network ID: edi_tena

Tasuki

Wow I tried this game last night after not playing it for a few years and OMG this game didn't age well. The controls were just clunky, aiming was awful and the graphics just horrible, it looked like something from the PS2. Kinda a shame since I did enjoy this game a few years ago but now. I might be selling it here soon.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tony123

I am playing it online almost every day. Those idiots that say it does not work should keep their mouths shut. Goldeneye runs off the Activision servers, not the Nintendo servers and was not affected by the shutdown at all. In fact a lot of Wii games still work online. Don't listen to those jerks.

Edited on by Tony123

Tony123

DarkEdi

I am just waiting players in this moment. The game is online just in this moment. Yeahhh.

Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintendo Network ID: edi_tena

Tony01

August 2016
Yes, you can play this online. it uses Activision's servers, not the defunct Nintendo servers. And yes, there are lots of online players every day so you will have lots of fun playing it.
As for the comments that you can't play any Wii games online, that's ridiculous. In fact, most of the Wii games still work online except those games that were Nintendo based.
And if you want to play the Nintendo games online like Animal Crossing or Super Smash Bros or Mario Kart you can install Homebrew on your Wii and then patch the games to use the Wiimmfi servers. So, you can still play almost every game online even now. Check out Microwavesam on Youtube to see how to install Wii homebrew easily and Google Wiimmfi for info on that
I play Goldeneye 007 a couple of times a week and I also play Call of Duty Black Ops online a lot as well.

Edited on by Tony01

Tony01

McGruber

I also still play Goldeneye 007 for Wii online sometimes . I have to say, the system definitely is a lot of fun, and the Wiimote has aged really well (with motionplus of course). I'm happy to hear rumors that the NX will have an updated version of the Wiimote. It's so much better to use for Netflix than a regular remote. For the record the only games that work online are Goldeneye, Call of Duty MW3, and Modern Warfare Reflex.

McGruber

Nintendo Network ID: McGruber

The_Hustler

GoldenEye is still a very satisfying game! Despite a lot of confusion, GE is not dead. In fact, most of the time, you can find a team conflict game on your first try. You can count the number of hackers in America on one hand. Also, there are very few cheaters. GE is a very satisfying game, and I play it every day.

FC 286974198765 YouTube GoldenEye videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrtB-U9ni_rB-BECYPG3ZrQ
IGNs:
BamBoOzeLeR The Hustler
The Bouncer Dip Eli ThroatSinger
The LAW The Poacher NipUinDBud HoNyDeWMeLoN HaRvEsTeR

Skyaese

This game is seriously still active online? I just have to revisit it if that's the case.

Nothing is alive. We are all automatons governed by the laws of the universe.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.