Wii U Forum

Topic: What do you like/dislike the most about the Wii U

Showing 61 to 80 of 96

AuthorMessage
Avatar

nocode

61. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

3Dash wrote:

@WhiteKnight Just speculating, but I think the way everyone is thinking about this is: Which would you prefer, a beautiful picture, or a functioning game that works and plays well, regardless of whether or not the graphics are 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc bits?

Again, that's trying to break a game down into components it doesn't work. Either a game is aesthetically pleasing and engagingly interactive, or it's a bad game. Find me one example of a great game that has broken aesthetics (there is one, but it is a special case), and you have a case for breaking a game down like that.

Bits are completely irrelevant to aesthetics. People who claim otherwise are the same people who were surprised the Journey won best graphics awards, and those people have such a laughably immature understanding of art that their opinion is negligable.

I agree...some of those old Journey albums have really amazing cover art.

nocode

3DS Friend Code: 0087-2314-1034 | Nintendo Network ID: nocode

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Wonder_Ideal

62. Posted:

@Waltz - What is the "special case?"

Boom. Backlog.
The Hero of Ideals: A Legend, by True_Hero
Join NintyOnline Forums!
I believe that once one has spotted a UFO it becomes an IFO(Identified Flying Object) as you have identified it then as being unidentified. -@3Dash

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8724-1357 | Nintendo Network ID: Ideal_Hero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

63. Posted:

Guys arguing about my HD comment, by saying the same graphics would be boring, notice I said NOT LIKE NSMB! I meant in the way they could all be 16-bit but have different art styles that would be ok

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

64. Posted:

GAMEPLAY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN GOOD GRAPHICS >:0
I totally agree with you Harmoknight, every game should have same graphics and they're gameplay will be what makes them unique. HD is unfair and is worthless.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

65. Posted:

Like I said a game can be 16-bit and look different then another 16-bit game

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

66. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

Like I said a game can be 16-bit and look different then another 16-bit game

You can only do so much with limited hardware. After years upon years, it starts to show.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

67. Posted:

SteveW wrote:

CactusJackson wrote:

Probably, but like most core Nintendo fanboys (the ignorant, stubborn ones who have not, nor never will give a competitive console a chance), still want to debate and force their opinion of gameplay > real life >>>>>> graphics down our throats. Yet again.

Well... what can I say? look at Super Mario Bros. for NES? it is fun? yep, are the graphics great? nope.... now tell me which is more important...

Gameplay is timeless, graphics will always get better and better and the people living on the cutting edge of technology will never be satisfied with what they have for very long. Once something better comes out, the previous tech sucks... makes no sense to me and those people don't know what gaming is really about.

And I have given the competition a chance and am also a huge PC gamer but guess what? Nintendo consoles have the best games hands down... why? because they have games made by Nintendo.

I never said gameplay wasn't anything or was anything but graphics are an important role on delivering the best experience possible.

And anyone who says past gen graphics "suck" are the kinds of people you can't take seriously.

That's a little biased. You should look at it with a better perspective.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

68. Posted:

Ideal_Hero wrote:

@Waltz - What is the "special case?"

Final Fantasy VII. A genuinely broken game in terms of its aesthetics.

Like I said a game can be 16-bit and look different then another 16-bit game

That's ridiculous. That's like saying you want artists to be forced to only use canvas for their paintings.

The more powerful consoles give the developers a wider range of tools to make a wider range of game experiences. That is nothing but a good thing. Yes, in the end, the only thing that's important is what the developers do with the tools, but it's simply childish to say that offering a wider range of game development options is a bad thing.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

turtlelink

69. Posted:

holy f*ck guys graphics are important.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

70. Posted:

@waltz the funny thing is... When I'm doing art, I want it to be as perfect as possible, I ended up throwing away a ton of my art projects in school and got far behind because I wanted it to look perfect

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

71. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

@waltz the funny thing is... When I'm doing art, I want it to be as perfect as possible, I ended up throwing away a ton of my art projects in school and got far behind because I wanted it to look perfect

Well said. If you focus too hard on the graphics and making it too good then you can't make a good game. Nowadays since everything is HD developers feel like they have to make a hardcore graphics game to even be worth it. I'd rather have a fun gameplay idea than have HD graphics. We'd have so many better games if everyone wasn't focused on realistic HD graphics.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

72. Posted:

Once again you're missing the point here. HD graphics =/= good graphics.

The original Super Mario Brothers has better "graphics" than almost all of the HD game consoles.

This has nothing to do with perfection, bits, or the hardware running the visual engine. This has to do with gamers completely misunderstanding that aesthetics is what makes "good graphics" and aesthetics applies from NES games right through to HD consoles.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

73. Posted:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

@waltz the funny thing is... When I'm doing art, I want it to be as perfect as possible, I ended up throwing away a ton of my art projects in school and got far behind because I wanted it to look perfect

Well said. If you focus too hard on the graphics and making it too good then you can't make a good game. Nowadays since everything is HD developers feel like they have to make a hardcore graphics game to even be worth it. I'd rather have a fun gameplay idea than have HD graphics. We'd have so many better games if everyone wasn't focused on realistic HD graphics.

It's not hard to make an attractive art style whilst making an interesting game. I hate it when gamers think a game could have been better if the developers spent a little more time with the game play than the graphics.

That can only apply to smaller studios and independent developers. Larger studios have assigned professionals working on every aspect of the video game including game play, story line, music and graphics.

There's never an equal part per say.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HawkeyeWii

74. Posted:

turtlelink wrote:

holy f*ck guys graphics are important.

What he said

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
I STREAM LIVE GAMEPLAY AND SPEEDRUNS OF GAMES ON MY twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/hawkeyewii

Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter: HawkeyeWii

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SteveW

75. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

SteveW wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

Folks don't understand that graphics are important to the overall experience of a game. Then they ruin their own argument by saying something silly like "Super Mario Bros is an ugly game" completely failing to understand that Supe Mario Brothers is a very good looking game.

Ah well. Let's keep pretending you don't need to mix sugar and eggs to make a cake.

The style of Mario is fine, I meant that it is low resolution. Something that 360 and PS3 fans have always put down the Wii for being lower resolution. Graphics can help the overall experience of a game but it is not as important as gameplay. If graphics are so important to you then why are you saying that a low resolution 8 bit game looks very good?

Lets not forget that all graphics become outdated over time. When we look back at classic games we think of how fun they were, not how pretty... I don't hear anyone saying "I want to buy a NES and Super Mario Bros because the graphics are amazing".

Do you criticise an old photo because it wasn't touched up by photoshop?

Gamers need to stop caring about the brushes used to make the painting and start looking at the painting itself.

Ard you asking me? if so, I was trying to make a point that resolution and realistic graphics don't matter as much as gameplay, I love the NES and most of its games.

SteveW

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

76. Posted:

We get it: game play is important. But graphics are also important which is something you need to realize.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

77. Posted:

Arguing over video games with those who have extreme opinions! HOORAY!!!

OF GRAPHICS AND GAMEPLAY:

To WaltzElf and similar individuals: While it is impossible to have video games without some form of graphics, you cannot say that gameplay is completely inseparable from graphics. Why? Because graphics are representations of variables/states that the game wants to show the player. For example; the first Super Mario Bros. game and New Super Mario Bros. (take your pick). The graphics of both games are vastly different, but their gameplay is the same due to their game variables/states being almost exactly like each-other.

To "Gameplay >>> Graphics" Believers: While video games are an interactive medium and we should primarily focus on interactivity first and foremost, graphics play a big part. While some modern games use high-quality graphical spectacles as part of their appeal, all games absolutely demand one thing from their graphics; visual sharpness. Simply put, if a player cannot visually process and understand what is happening with a game's graphics, the graphics have failed the game and worsened it.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

78. Posted:

While it is impossible to have video games without some form of graphics, you cannot say that gameplay is completely inseparable from graphics. Why? Because graphics are representations of variables/states that the game wants to show the player. For example; the first Super Mario Bros. game and New Super Mario Bros. (take your pick). The graphics of both games are vastly different, but their gameplay is the same due to their game variables/states being almost exactly like each-other.

Vastly different, but of equal quality.

Does anyone look at a Andy Warhol painting and say "well, that's different to MC Escher's work. INFERIOR?" Does anyone watch the old Doctor Who and dismiss it because it "looks different" to the new Star Trek?

No. Andy Warhol is great. MC Escher is great. Doctor Who is great, Star Trek is great. What is the common thread here? The visual component of the themes of each of these works of entertainment/ art is critical to their appeal. Because art is a visual medium. Games are nothing more than interactive art.

It seems to be only the games industry that has such a narrow view of graphics that way too many people fall into one of two categories: 1) if it's older it's inferior or 2) it's older and therefore it's better because I'm old school and awesome and gameplay is better than graphics.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SKTTR

79. Posted:

  • Like
    The controls: excellent GamePad, its handling, design, and all it can do
    The games: Nintendo Land, Little Inferno and most of the 3rd party games (still need to get Mario)
    The online in general: Miiverse, the Internet browser, no friendcodes, Wii U Chat, friends list
    _
  • Dislike
    Wii Mode and everything that goes with it from it being separated from the Wii U, to the complicated and faulty Data Transfer, to the freaking unnecessary and frustrating memory limitation, to some features like WiiConnect24 missing altogether. I would have bought the 8GB basic pack if I'd known about this! I get the feeling that Nintendo doesn't care about the best consumers, and I start to think that it's worthless to build up a digital collection of games on a Nintendo console, with all the limitations and ignorant decisions they made in that regard.
    Nintendo eShop. The Wii Shop was much better and not a chaotic mess, Wii U hasn't even a simple chronological release list.... and it doesn't accept that I already downloaded the YouTube app, so it's glitchy as well.
    The freezing. But that was just in the first few days. No freezes in the last five days makes me happy. Seems it fixed itself somehow or it was really just the servers.
    _
  • About the offtopic blah:
    It's depending on the gamer, not on the games, what is more important. Graphics or gameplay. This debate will never end. And you're all wrong. For me more important than gameplay or graphics is the fun, the immersiveness, and the music. You could have that all in a text adventure :P

Edited on by SKTTR

scatterkid.weebly.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

80. Posted:

SKTTR wrote:

accept that I already downloaded the YouTube app, so it's glitchy as well.

Nah, It's just trying to protect you from that app.

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime