Forums

Topic: Was this E3 the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U?

Posts 321 to 340 of 543

Octane

UGXwolf wrote:

Octane wrote:

@arronishere I know right? Crazy.

Or, you know, maybe it's actually a good game despite doing next to nothing actually new.

Take it easy, I was just joking. I definitely think there are better platformers out there, but NSMB does have its good moments.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

UGXwolf

Never understood people selling their consoles over one bad E3 presentation. Dude even said, himself he had fun with the games. You're seriously dumping the system over a presentation when previous experience with existing games says otherwise? I mean, if for some inexplicable reason you can only have one system period, EVER, sure, I could understand, then, but that'd be pretty hard to explain unless you don't have a job. What if 2016 has some of the most ridiculously good Wii U offerings the system will ever see? What if 2015 is just a lull in the system's excitement and it picks back up later similar to how the 3DS appears to be doing, this year? S'gonna sting that you chose to have one console instead of two, then.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

iKhan

VoodooTrumpet wrote:

Just sold my Wii U on eBay and am now picking up an Xbox One tonight. 500GB console, Halo Collection, Witcher 3 and 12-month Gold subscription all for $414 inc. tax

Seriously, f*ck you Nintendo. I bought a Wii U even after the third parties had left and hoped you could still deliver some quality titles. Had great fun with Pikmin 3, DKTF and Smash but E3 was the death knell. Your refusal to understand the demands of the modern gamer, even your own fans, is inexplicable.

Untitled

Lol E3 wasn't THAT bad. The Wii U has a ridiculous number of games coming out this year, and we have no idea what's out next year.

If anything, Nintendo's total e3 showing was average. Earthbound beginnings, Blast Ball Roy, Ryu, Project Treasure, Bravely Second, and Chibi-Robo Zip-Lash all came out in the e3 window. Just the digital event was poor.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

TuVictus

IceClimbers wrote:

Operative wrote:

I don't really think Art Academy, Lego Jurassic World, and Art Academy are games people are holding their breath for. But you're right about Devil's Third. Woolly World isn't until October over here. In September is Mario Maker. So, We have Devil's Third in August, Mario Maker in September, Yoshi in October, (Can't remember if anything is in November), and Xenoblade in December. The fall and holidays will be good for Wii U owners with one big game a month. Well, if you consider Mario Maker big. And if there's something in November.

Star Fox is in November most likely. Fatal Frame will probably hit in late October as well. Also not sure if North America is getting Devil's Third in August, or even in 2015 for that matter.

Oh, my bad. Thought it was confirmed for NA in August.

Also, it's funny seeing people take personal offense to someone selling their Wii U. It's his, he can sell it if he thinks he's gotten the most out of it already. Personally, I hate selling anything. Especially since hacking the Wii U once the NX is out will probably be really awesome, in terms of what people will do with the gamepad.

TuVictus

Chaoz

VoodooTrumpet wrote:

Just sold my Wii U on eBay and am now picking up an Xbox One tonight. 500GB console, Halo Collection, Witcher 3 and 12-month Gold subscription all for $414 inc. tax

Seriously, f*ck you Nintendo. I bought a Wii U even after the third parties had left and hoped you could still deliver some quality titles. Had great fun with Pikmin 3, DKTF and Smash but E3 was the death knell. Your refusal to understand the demands of the modern gamer, even your own fans, is inexplicable.

Untitled

If sold your Wii U just because of one bad E3 then I hope you pray that Microsoft next E3 going to be good. Seriously if you welling to sell a console over one bad E3 you shouldn't even be buying consoles because of that. It's not like the Wii U doesn't have quite a few games coming this year.

Daddy do you want some Sausage?
Wii U ID: dotmae
3DS FC: 3007-8540-3431

Nintendo Network ID: dotmae

rallydefault

Don't feed it! Don't feed it! It even has a... uhm... "meme"? That's what those graphics with the words are called, right?

He/she obviously wanted to get a rise out of everyone, and he/she was successful. Good job.

Anyway, the Xbox One is an awesome console, too. I own one. It's cool. So just let people do what they want to do and relax. Nintendo already made their money on the hardware from that guy/girl, so there's no use getting all hot and bothered.

Look - we're all here for a reason. And we all know something: Nintendo's games rock. They always have, and they always will. They have great minds working their development teams, and they amazing (sometimes crazy) ideas. After this E3, they're going to be the brunt of LOTS of hate. And the Wii U is most likely dead. But Nintendo is an old company, and they're going to carry on and go back to amazing us in a short while.

So just go game - take it easy.

rallydefault

MsJubilee

Ryno wrote:

VoodooTrumpet: LOL

TwilightAngel: This seems like a good deal here: 1TB Xbox One + Halo: The Master Chief Collection Bundle + $50.00 promo code + free game for $399.99.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/1TB-Xbox-...

Jesus that's even a better deal! Thanks for the link

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Red Dead Redemption 1 & Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Ralizah

@VoodooTrumpet
Untitled

Let's hope that Microsoft doesn't have another off-year.

2015 is still going to be a decent year for Nintendo. 2016... we'll see.

I don't understand people who flip out and sell their machine when a console maker underperforms at one E3, though. Seriously.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

Grumblevolcano

TwilightAngel wrote:

Ryno wrote:

VoodooTrumpet: LOL

TwilightAngel: This seems like a good deal here: 1TB Xbox One + Halo: The Master Chief Collection Bundle + $50.00 promo code + free game for $399.99.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/1TB-Xbox-...

Jesus that's even a better deal! Thanks for the link

Just be wary about file sizes, I'd expect that even if you get the 1TB model you'll need an external hard drive.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

Whitewatermoose wrote:

I can understand selling the Wii U. I'm debating it. I think it all boils down to, if you believe Nintendo will support the U in 2016 ( besides Zelda) if NX is coming out.

It is my belief they must launch NX next year and will do so. They don't want to fall too far behind Sony and Microsoft. Plus their is the elephant looking I the room called Apple. If Apple gets serious, it is over and they all know if. Get a foothold in with a new product.

I personally think Wii U development has been winding down since 2014, we all just didn't know it. I think they will give us some eshop games and maybe a steady stream of virtual consoles games to compensate. But I think we get les than 5 Nintendo games next year. SMT VS FE, Zelda included. I think they say Please Understand and Reggie will say they supported Wii U and it has a good lifespan with great games from many Nintendo franchises.

You know, the Apple thing is interesting... what do other people think about it? If Apple gets serious about entering the gaming fray?

Personally, I don't own anything Apple. I refuse to support them. Their devices are immensely overpriced, and other companies' comparable hardware/software does the same stuff for much cheaper and usually with more customizability. Plus, the whole "Apple culture" of pumpkin spiced lattes and "Time to Stand Up!" from a bloody watch is a huge turn-off.

BUT, none of this matters, really - just my opinions. And if they decide to take a go at gaming... hrm...

rallydefault

Bolt_Strike

I don't think Apple will enter the console market, they seem content with mobile. There's not a whole lot of incentive for new competitors to enter the console market at this point, the costs of making them are too high and mobile is eating into their market share. Maybe if the current AAA market crashes and we lose 1 or 2 of the Big 3 they'll consider it, but until then they probably don't see much reason to. And even then, if there was a vacancy in the AAA market Apple probably wouldn't make an actual game console, they'd make some kind of general entertainment hardware that could also play games. Something like what the Xbox One tried to be. The only real piece of the puzzle they're missing is AAA exclusives.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

dazzybee

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

You lost me.

Yeah, that was a proofreading error on my part. Let's say "animated" and that works. My point still stands though.

dazzybee wrote:

I think it's pretty obvious they're killing the WIi u off, I didn't think they would, but it's pretty obvious. I'd imagine Metroid and Animal crossing are close to being done and ported over to the NX (Animal Crossing would be a perfect launch on a hybrid console). I just hope they just do it, next christmas, letting the wii u die a slow death like they did the wii was a disastrous decision losing all momentum which they've never reclaimed.

Reward and look after the Wii U owners, don't piss them off, launch strong and build!

They're not even working on Metroid Prime, Tanabe says he can't find someone who wants to work on it.

Did he say that? Must be true... Ps don't believe everything they say

dazzybee

iKhan

rallydefault wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

I can understand selling the Wii U. I'm debating it. I think it all boils down to, if you believe Nintendo will support the U in 2016 ( besides Zelda) if NX is coming out.

It is my belief they must launch NX next year and will do so. They don't want to fall too far behind Sony and Microsoft. Plus their is the elephant looking I the room called Apple. If Apple gets serious, it is over and they all know if. Get a foothold in with a new product.

I personally think Wii U development has been winding down since 2014, we all just didn't know it. I think they will give us some eshop games and maybe a steady stream of virtual consoles games to compensate. But I think we get les than 5 Nintendo games next year. SMT VS FE, Zelda included. I think they say Please Understand and Reggie will say they supported Wii U and it has a good lifespan with great games from many Nintendo franchises.

You know, the Apple thing is interesting... what do other people think about it? If Apple gets serious about entering the gaming fray?

Personally, I don't own anything Apple. I refuse to support them. Their devices are immensely overpriced, and other companies' comparable hardware/software does the same stuff for much cheaper and usually with more customizability. Plus, the whole "Apple culture" of pumpkin spiced lattes and "Time to Stand Up!" from a bloody watch is a huge turn-off.

BUT, none of this matters, really - just my opinions. And if they decide to take a go at gaming... hrm...

I wouldn't count on it unless you see immense pressure from investors to do so. In recent years, Tim Cook has basically become a shill for big investors. Unlike Steve Jobs, he doesn't really say "no, I'm going to go down a different route, and you'll be surprised when we succeed". Apple is making lots of money on mobile games, so I don't see a further push happening.

Also, in regards to Apple products, it depends on what you are talking about. Their laptops are priced at only a few hundred dollars above the PC laptop of equivalent specs (INCLUDING weight, size, and material). Their phones cost about the same as the equivalent Android phone, though I personally refuse to buy another until they make one that's actually a reasonable size. Where you get into ridiculous territory is with their desktops. They are often overpriced by a grand or more.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I don't think Apple will enter the console market, they seem content with mobile. There's not a whole lot of incentive for new competitors to enter the console market at this point, the costs of making them are too high and mobile is eating into their market share. Maybe if the current AAA market crashes and we lose 1 or 2 of the Big 3 they'll consider it, but until then they probably don't see much reason to. And even then, if there was a vacancy in the AAA market Apple probably wouldn't make an actual game console, they'd make some kind of general entertainment hardware that could also play games. Something like what the Xbox One tried to be. The only real piece of the puzzle they're missing is AAA exclusives.

If all of the Big 3 crash, console gaming is dead. A whole lot of the industry is structured on a traditional structure and culture based the old days, and that will stick around as long as at least one of the Big 3 is around. But if they all go, I anticipate that the market will steer everything towards micro-consoles and PC.

Now if Sony or Microsoft drops out, the next companies I can see giving it a shot are the big 3 western devs Ubisoft, EA, and Activision. If the Japanese console market weren't dying a slow painful death, I could also see Bandai-Namco putting their foot in, given that they have both hardware and software branches, and a long history of IPs and developers.

Bolt_Strike

iKhan wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

If all of the Big 3 crash, console gaming is dead. A whole lot of the industry is structured on a traditional structure and culture based the old days, and that will stick around as long as at least one of the Big 3 is around. But if they all go, I anticipate that the market will steer everything towards micro-consoles and PC.

Now if Sony or Microsoft drops out, the next companies I can see giving it a shot are the big 3 western devs Ubisoft, EA, and Activision. If the Japanese console market weren't dying a slow painful death, I could also see Bandai-Namco putting their foot in, given that they have both hardware and software branches, and a long history of IPs and developers.

I didn't say all 3 would crash. But if we do see 1 or 2 of them, I think the third parties would take that as a sign that console gaming is dying and shift to PC and mobile. EA and Ubisoft already have digital distribution services, so they'd be well insulated against the loss of the console market. The only one of those companies that would be in trouble would be Activision, so maybe they would step up to the plate if need be. But even then, they like being multiplatform so they probably wouldn't enjoy being a first party company that much, so they might not bite either. Bottom line, I think the current situation with console gaming discourages potential competitors and I think console gaming would just die along with the Big 3.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

martinskrtel37

Console gaming IS dying. Nintendo could well be "leaving the console race" - but they will leave it in ruins, it wont be anything like we knew. Gaming is just moving on from the traditional box-under-your-TV-and-controller-in-your-hands set up. Don't be afraid of change, Nintendo are leading the way there.

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

rockodoodle

Whitewatermoose wrote:

I don't see any advantage to launching a new console next year. Hardware costs come down, so if they wait a year, it can be that much more powerful at the same cost or however they want to work it. But, I think Zelda will sell some Wii Us- why not ride that for nearly two years instead of one (really just a few months if they were to announce at e3 a new console coming out in just a few months). Throw in that there will be a core group of Nintendo fans who feel cheated b/c they didn't get a full lifespan and/or feel generally abandoned.....

I think Nintendo will have a few more surprises for the Wii U. It wasn't too long ago that folks were concerned about them abandoning the 3ds. So, I'll bet we get Zelda and 6-8 new titles. This year we got/will get: Kirby, Mario Party 10, Splatoon, Fox, Mario Maker, Yoshi, Fatal Frame, Xenoblade, Mario Tennis, Amiibo Festival, Skylanders and Disney Infinity... So, I think they will at least get a few more.

Edited on by rockodoodle

rockodoodle

WiiWareWave

@Yellowkoopa Did you even watch Nintendo's Digital Event because there were a few new games announced atrociousness notwithstanding. It wasn't that nothing was announced, it's just that what was announced for the Wii U at this year's E3 look like cr*p.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

UGXwolf

Neko_Rukiafan wrote:

@Yellowkoopa Did you even watch Nintendo's Digital Event because there were a few new games announced atrociousness notwithstanding. It wasn't that nothing was announced, it's just that what was announced for the Wii U at this year's E3 look like cr*p.

I have to disagree. I didn't see anything at the digital event that looked like crap. Just not the stuff people wanted exactly. I know at least two AC fans that were head-over-heels for both AC titles they showed at E3. Star Fox looked pretty good to me, and I hear they even updated the graphics. All the previously announced games still look really good, and that's not even counting stuff they didn't talk about at E3 like Fatal Frame and Zelda U. I thought the content of the Direct was good, and considering the release calendars of te Wii U and the 3DS before E3, I'm not the least bit surprised the 3DS got the spotlight. The only problems I had with the direct was the lack of a heavy hitter and the strong feeling that I'm gonna be living the Summer on Splatoon and Indie games alone, which could be a lot worse, but I was hoping for one title to break the monotony by then. The content was good, the hype was very weak.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.