Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - OT

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,761

Haru17

Trinexx wrote:

While I agree that the Silent Realm tear missions were elements pulled from TP, I for the most part enjoyed them.

I didn't like them because they were an insta-fail stealth mission in a game without sneaking. That and they all felt the same on top of being 100% retreading through areas you've already explored fully. In TP there was a sense of wonder as you were introduced to these new areas in their corrupted, abstract form. That and they were about exploration and puzzles, not arcadey challenge courses in a Zelda game.

And you're all kinda wrong—sure the mcguffins looked like tears of light, but these sequences didn't come from TP. Remember in Ocarina of Time, the rooms where you had to collect 5 silver ruppees? That's where all of this started.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

las_cadenas

Why do we need an HD version of this? It's already boring enough that OoT spans across console after console. People complain Nintendo doesn't do anything new, this is why! Cause you ask for an HD remake of a game that you can already play on your WiiU in the Wii menu.

las_cadenas

Haru17

las_cadenas wrote:

Why do we need an HD version of this? It's already boring enough that OoT spans across console after console. People complain Nintendo doesn't do anything new, this is why! Cause you ask for an HD remake of a game that you can already play on your WiiU in the Wii menu.

I don't necessarily want TPHD now, but that's a disingenuous argument. The resources to make an port and pretty up already-made game are far less than those needed to create one anew.

skywake

las_cadenas wrote:

Why do we need an HD version of this?

Because it's a great game that hasn't aged well graphically.

las_cadenas wrote:

It's already boring enough that OoT spans across console after console.

Except that before the 3DS remake they were all just direct ports of the N64 version. And as much as it's nice to have the ability to play a classic game as it was it's something else to see it remade. I got my 3DS specifically for Ocarina of Time 3D. If you think that's boring? Well I think you're in a different space to most because that game did pretty well.

las_cadenas wrote:

People complain Nintendo doesn't do anything new, this is why! Cause you ask for an HD remake of a game that you can already play on your WiiU in the Wii menu.

Except it's a game that's not in HD and with old textures. Plus it's a game that's only controllable by the WiiMote + Nunchuck. All of that's fine if you want to go out and find the disk, you can play it that way. Personally I want to play it with the GamePad. Them doing a HD remake doesn't impact you at all if you don't want it, it's literally only a positive thing. So the people who want to complain can complain, let them whine about crap that doesn't impact them.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

las_cadenas

Well I wasn't directing that at you but thank you for not getting crazy. It's funny how people talk about hating the gamepad but think it would be great now that they see it could work for stuff like this

las_cadenas

SCRAPPER392

I would just swing the remote like crazy, and that usually worked. That's how it was kind of like Twilight Princess waggle, sometimes. I realized that didn't work for every monster, especially after Ghiraham, and I didn't care if I got electricuted by the moblins with the tazer most of the time. Hero mode wasn't even difficult, except for the dragon challenge and Demise, but I still 100%ed it. Those are more reasons why it was my favorite.

That's why they should add extra stuff like that in Twilight Princess to get people to rebuy it; besides the graphics. That's if it actually happens...
The potion mixing and upgrades mattered for progression of the game in SS, and I'm pretty sure those sort of things are going to be in Zelda U, because of the more open world design.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

faint

@las_cadenas: see what I mean. You are literally here to agg folks on. You know exactly what he means. Don't twist it to pull out an insult.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Rumorlife

las_cadenas wrote:

Lol are you 12? "Aged", it's from 2006.

They are that's why they're talking to you like that.

Rumorlife

Eel

Why don't we just ignore him, seriously guys don't give him the attention.

So far he has done nothing ban worthy. If he's a troll he'll get bored and go away, or give me reasons to ban him.

Still, @las_cadenas: seriously, stop this. It's the last chance, the next argument you try to start wil lead to a ban.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

skywake

I just think it's hilarious that someone would think a 12 year old would have an understanding of what games look dated. When I was actually 12 I was very easily impressed. By the time Twilight Princess came out I was far more critical. I remember even back then praising the game to my friends before following it up with "it's a shame the textures are so garbage". And to be fair I was probably wrong to criticise it then because in 2006 pretty much EVERY game had garbage texture work. But I think time has vindicated me, the game hasn't aged well.

So that's my response to this attempt to troll. Good luck trying to get a rise out of someone who isn't actually 12. I wish I was 12, if I was 12 everything would be amazing all of the time.

Edited on by skywake

las_cadenas

That wasn't really what I was getting at but alright.

las_cadenas

skywake

@las_cadenas: Yeah, you were trying to get a rise out of me by suggesting I was too immature to understand that 2006 wasn't that long ago. The problem is that even when I was an adult in 2006 I recognised that Twilight Princess wasn't a very impressive game in many respects. It was a Gamecube game ported to the Wii in an era of HD consoles. It was dated when it launched.

I'm old enough that I can not only see that it's not a particularly good looking game but I don't even feel nostalgia for the title. I'm also old enough that I'm tired of internet arguments that don't go anywhere. So if you have a point make it, if you want to insult people go somewhere else.

las_cadenas

I like how you're coming at me like YEAH I KNEW WHAT YOU MEANT okay cause you're in my brain knowing exactly what I meant. Tl;dr after that cause I don't care what you have to say.

las_cadenas

Haru17

skywake wrote:

I just think it's hilarious that someone would think a 12 year old would have an understanding of what games look dated. When I was actually 12 I was very easily impressed. By the time Twilight Princess came out I was far more critical. I remember even back then praising the game to my friends before following it up with "it's a shame the textures are so garbage". And to be fair I was probably wrong to criticise it then because in 2006 pretty much EVERY game had garbage texture work. But I think time has vindicated me, the game hasn't aged well.

He's being a jerk about it, but that is a very salient point: 2006 really ain't that long ago. Honestly, I don't see the big deal about texture quality. I played Ocarina (Collector's Edition, original textures) on the gamecube and it didn't look bad compared to Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker. If I was really so fussed I'd be all PCMR and call cool games like the Unfinished Swan and Symphonia "trash." I'm really more concerned about what vibe is given off than what the literal assets are. I didn't even notice that most of Wind Waker / OoT / MM's dungeons are differently textured 3D rectangles until I replayed them.

I wish I was 12, if I was 12 everything would be amazing all of the time.

No, that's called being 12 and dumb. (That's a general statement, just to avoid confusion.)

Edited on by Haru17

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

He's being a jerk about it, but that is a very salient point: 2006 really ain't that long ago. Honestly, I don't see the big deal about texture quality. I played Ocarina (Collector's Edition, original textures) on the gamecube and it didn't look bad compared to Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker.

I think it's a bit of a different scenario. You're talking about a late-era N64 game being ported to the Gamecube early on in its cycle. With Twilight Princess HD we're talking about a very early Wii era title, effectively a GC game, getting a full remake on the Wii U. It's still technically a "1 generation gap" but it's actually quite a bit different. In terms of years between the games it's about twice as much time since Twilight Princess as it was for OoT when they did that remake.

Especially given that over that decade we went from games struggling to get realistic looking 3D to what we have now. HD textures, HD displays, AA without the game tanking. Even with all of the PCMR stuff, Twilight Princess was still impressive when it launched. But like most games of that era it hasn't aged well.

Haru17 wrote:

No, that's called being 12 and dumb. (That's a general statement, just to avoid confusion.)

Ignorance is bliss. I play a game now and I compare it to every other game I've played. Often they fall short, especially given how great games have gotten. When I was still a kid you could show me a racing game where there were hills and tunnels and it would blow my mind.

Edited on by skywake

las_cadenas

Lol you hate me and yet look at the discussion I sparked.

las_cadenas

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Especially given that over that decade we went from games struggling to get realistic looking 3D to what we have now. HD textures, HD displays, AA without the game tanking. Even with all of the PCMR stuff, Twilight Princess was still impressive when it launched. But like most games of that era it hasn't aged well.

I really don't agree with that sentiment. I don't really mind 'bad' textures—what composes a game's beauty to me is the visual variety of the world. That's why think Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 Corruption are two of the best-looking games ever made; because their early Wii asset quality enabled the dev team to create a huge number and variety of items. That and all of those assets fit in the same world, complimenting each other. That's also part of the reason I really dig Bethesda games. It's a component of world building.

Sure, lighting is nice nowadays, but I don't care that much. Majora's Mask looks better than Far Cry 4, Metroid Prime looks better than Splatoon, etc, etc, and so on.

I'd love Twilight Princess to get revamped, higher quality assets, but not at the cost of their cohesiveness, not at the cost of their identity, and certainly not if they're just low-budget repurposed Skyward Sword or Hyrule Warriors assets. That can only make a game uglier.

Edited on by Haru17

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

9 years is actually quite a bit long amount of time.

For puny, petty humans like us, perhaps. But not in real terms.

Tyranexx

Morpheel wrote:

9 years is actually quite a bit long amount of time.

When you put it that way...it is. O_o This would actually be a larger gap than the time between Link's Awakening and Link's Awakening DX (which was roughly five years).

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.