Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 15,210

crimsoncavalier

Blast wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Getting deja vu here. Didn't we already have the conversation about wanting Zelda to be a shounen superhero game?

I don't want the combat to be boring!!!! Gawd!!! Twilight Princess was the last time I actually enjoyed swinging a sword in a Zelda game. The other Zelda games aren't bad at all. I just want more fluid and fun combat. That's it!!! You wanna argue with me about the many things Zelda U needs to improve on? Let's go. I want better combat, more customization, a well written villian since Ganon is becoming like Bowser to me, fun side quests, and even more stuff. I would much rather the vault off a horse mechanic would be like Epona vaulting Link at a enemy while slashing his sword.

Well, the last time you had fun swinging a sword was TP because Skyward Sword sucked the biggest of all youknowwhats. Worst Zelda game, ever and I mean that solely from a gameplay perspective.

This game won't have that issue, although I'm hoping with a bigger, more open-world concept we get a better story. I love Zelda, and I love collecting Triforce pieces, and amulets, freeing sages, what have you, but I hope we get more side quests, and a more developed story.

If it involves fetching, that's fine, but I want more than just "Oh noes, Ganon is up to his old shenanigans."

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

JoyBoy

You guys want more this more that. I just want a game from one of the best developers who continue to make one of the best series in gaming history.
I'm pretty sure they also want to add more this and more that, since you know, they are freaking developing the game. But you can't have it all folks. Just sit back and relax and enjoy your games.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Dreamsleep

I think making it open world is pretty much all I need to try the game out, and I'm not a huge Zelda fan. I love Wind Waker HD, though.

Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128, Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, PC, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Wii, PSP, DSi, PS3, 3DSXL, WiiU

Sleepingmudkip

I want a fleshed out story....like more story then anything else. With complex characters and a plot twist or 2

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Dezzy

I've seen this being argued in a number of places now, but what do people think about the world size of the upcoming Zelda?

In an interview, Aonuma (I think it was him) said it was the size of Kyoto. Based on the data I've read, that would make it bigger than Xenoblade Chronicles X. And one of the biggest hand-crafted worlds ever created.

That doesn't seem to fit the size based on the map in that preview video though, which does seem to be a lot smaller. Which do people think will be right? And which would you prefer?
Personally, I'd probably prefer the smaller. It'd be incredibly hard to make a huge world interesting whilst also fitting with the Zelda formula. XCX looks like it can cleverly get around that kind of problem because having the dolls allows for a kind of temporary change of scale, if you will.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Jacob717

Looks like this game will have amiibo support http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/amiibo-chart...

@Dezzy, IIRC didn't they say that what they showed at the Game Awards was just one area of the map and not the whole world? Anyways, I would like a big world but I also want it to be filled. But I would take a small world that filled with stuff rather than a huge world that's empty.

Jacob717

EOTW

crimsoncavalier wrote:

"Oh noes, Ganon is up to his old shenanigans."

Shenaniganon.

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

Dezzy

Dipper723 wrote:

@Dezzy, IIRC didn't they say that what they showed at the Game Awards was just one area of the map and not the whole world? Anyways, I would like a big world but I also want it to be filled. But I would take a small world that filled with stuff rather than a huge world that's empty.

I dunno. Gamexplain analysed the video and inferred that it's probably the whole map as when he was zooming out, the "zoom out" button greyed-out on the final stage. I think that probably means it's the full map. Some guys on the IGN forum did a calculation on that map and it came out as something similar to the world size of Skyrim. That sounds more than big enough to me!

Dezzy

DiscoGentleman wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

In an interview, Aonuma (I think it was him) said it was the size of Kyoto. Based on the data I've read, that would make it bigger than Xenoblade Chronicles X. And one of the biggest hand-crafted worlds ever created.

iirc, Xenoblade Chronicles was roughly the size of Japan, making it much bigger than this Zelda.

I don't think that's actually true. I know they said that at one point but I'd double check it if I were you!

Octane

DiscoGentleman wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

iirc, Xenoblade Chronicles was roughly the size of Japan, making it much bigger than this Zelda.

XCX is only about 10-20 km2, iirc. Japan is about 380000 km2. Kyoto is bigger than 20 km2, so if Zelda is about the same size as Kyoto's city centre, it would be bigger than XCX.

Octane

cookiex

Xenoblade Chronicles X is said to be around 400 square kilometers in size, which is roughly half of Kyoto City.

All we know about Zelda U's map size is that Anouma had Kyoto in mind while describing it.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

XCX is only about 10-20 km2, iirc. Japan is about 380000 km2. Kyoto is bigger than 20 km2, so if Zelda is about the same size as Kyoto's city centre, it would be bigger than XCX.

I hate area notation. Are you sure you've done that correctly? I think you're mixing notation. km^2 as given for the size of Japan usually means square kilometers. Whereas I think you mean 20 kilometers squared for XCX. And yes, those are drastically different for anyone wondering if I've got insane.

Octane

cookiex wrote:

Xenoblade Chronicles X is said to be around 400 square kilometers in size, which is roughly half of Kyoto City.

400; 20 x 20, I knew there was something related to a 20. Well, still nowhere near the size of Japan, and possibly smaller than Zelda U. But in all honesty, does it really matter?

Dezzy wrote:

Octane wrote:

I hate area notation. Are you sure you've done that correctly? I think you're mixing notation. km^2 as given for the size of Japan usually means square kilometers. Whereas I think you mean 20 kilometers squared for XCX. And yes, those are drastically different for anyone wondering if I've got insane.

Yeah, I realised I was wrong, apparently it is 400km2, about 20km x 20km, not 20km2.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Dezzy

Yeah, it's an easy mistake to make. Blame mathematicians for not coming up with better notation.

I think it does matter, yes. Personally I think if the Zelda map is bigger than the Xenoblade Chronicles map, it'll end up affecting the game for the worse. It's incredibly hard to make a big world interesting without a kind of GTA/Skyrim budget (which I seriously doubt Nintendo would spend on a 10 million install base). It'd be near impossible to fill a world that size with interesting and diverse locations so the only realistic outcome would be the Wind Waker situation. Islands (metaphorical) of interest with a whole lot of nothing in between them.
I think RPGs get around this because battles are part of the main progression in the game. Not so in Zelda. Puzzles, secrets and exploration are the main progression in Zelda. And those tend to need to be crafted with more care and more diversity. You can clone an RPG enemy a hundred times and it works within the context of the game. Clone a puzzle a hundred times and it's a disaster.

Edited on by Dezzy

CaviarMeths

Zelda games have always allowed you to roam and explore a huge world.

Oh boy, here comes another round of Skyward Sword bashing.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Spoony_Tech

CaviarMeths wrote:

Zelda games have always allowed you to roam and explore a huge world.

Oh boy, here comes another round of Skyward Sword bashing.

I was kinda thinking the same thing but then again Nintendo would just use the argument that the flying part where huge and flying from one end to another took a while at a higher rate of speed that Wind Waker did. So in other words it was bigger with a lot of empty space in between.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Blast

I hope this game gets info on Link's parents .

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

LzWinky

...why?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

RedDevilAde

TingLz wrote:

...why?

[burp][/burp] Why not?

Name that film!

Rimmer: "Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but I think that from now on the thing you should bring is silence."

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that."

Nintendo Network ID: RedDevilAde

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic