Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 15,210

skywake

Looking at comments about this elsewhere (and I assume also here, can't be bothered reading back) I'm getting a bit annoyed at some of the whine about the newest footage. For some reason people seem to be getting worked up about how "empty" the world is. I personally don't see what the problem is if the game doesn't bombard you with enemies every five seconds. Infact that's what I like about the inter-dungeon sections of a Zelda game.

I'd even say that Wind Waker is probably my favourite of all of them, and that game has even less "going on" in the overworld. If anything I'll be slightly annoyed if they push enemies at me every five seconds unless there's a particular reason for it. Like if I'm getting close to an uncleared area or similar.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Dreamz

skywake wrote:

Looking at comments about this elsewhere (and I assume also here, can't be bothered reading back) I'm getting a bit annoyed at some of the whine about the newest footage. For some reason people seem to be getting worked up about how "empty" the world is. I personally don't see what the problem is if the game doesn't bombard you with enemies every five seconds. Infact that's what I like about the inter-dungeon sections of a Zelda game.

I'd even say that Wind Waker is probably my favourite of all of them, and that game has even less "going on" in the overworld. If anything I'll be slightly annoyed if they push enemies at me every five seconds unless there's a particular reason for it. Like if I'm getting close to an uncleared area or similar.

Amen. MMORPGs are a good example of this. You have these vibrant, massive words....and then groups of enemies splattered every few feet like living landscape polka dots. Hugely immersion breaking.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Spoony_Tech

Dreamz wrote:

skywake wrote:

Amen. MMORPGs are a good example of this. You have these vibrant, massive words....and then groups of enemies splattered every few feet like living landscape polka dots. Hugely immersion breaking.

Totally agree. Just give me a beautiful world to get from point a to b and I'll be happy. So far it looks like they're doing quite a good job with that.

Oh and I never heard anyone complain about Shadow of the Colossus having a big empty world.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Oh and I never heard anyone complain about Shadow of the Colossus having a big empty world.

That's because it was a PS2 game and therefore not eligible for baseless criticism.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Smash_kirby

I would be okay if they took a page out of Bethesda's book and have random encounters with enemies, NPCs, weirdness, and anything else not covered.

Smash_kirby

WebHead

Game sure is beautiful. Really can't wait for the dungeon boss battles.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Haru17

Dreamz wrote:

skywake wrote:

Totally, I think Zelda U seems to be going for a realism. Even though the trees in a particular grove look nearly identical to one another, you have several different species of trees and different levels of grass and wildflowers. I'm really looking forward to exploring a Zelda world with as much natural verisimilitude as Skyrim. I'm sure we'll be able to find enemies when we're spoiling for a fight, Nintendo is always good about that.

With the horse Zelda U looks way better than flatlands walking simulators like Shadow of the Colossus and Xenoblade Chronicles. (yes, they're good games in their own right, but time how long you just walk in them, good god!)

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LzWinky

SpookyMeths wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

That's because it was a PS2 game and therefore not eligible for baseless criticism.

Oh I can fix that! ...too bad I never played the game

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Rezalack

WaLzgi wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Honestly, it's a tad overrated. It's a great game don't get me wrong, but the controls are terrible. I went back to try and play the remaster on PS3 and I was questioning how I even had the patience to finish the first one. It kind of tainted my love for it.

Anyways, I think the Zelda U footage we got wasn't a full screen display because they just aren't comfortable enough to do that yet. The game will have obvious issues with it at this point and don't need people ripping on it for things that will be fixed, yet it's happening anyway. I think the land is a bit barren just because they haven't added all that they're going to add. I'm sure the trees will change a bit, too.. I'd like to think anyhow. That was really the only thing that bothered me about the trailer, same tree after another.

Edited on by Rezalack

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

Spoony_Tech

WaLzgi wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Shadow of the Colossus to me is that one game worth owning a system for. It's one of my top 5 games ever and may even be #1, it's that good!

^Well then, I guess I just overrated it!!

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Rezalack

It's Ok Spoony, I'm sure I have my share of overrated games.

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

Spoony_Tech

I'm going to join in on the trailer hate bandwagon. I thought there was just too much grass. I mean you couldn't even see all the enemies hiding in the tall grass and don't get me started on the slow motion crap that's been done since what the Matrix. Seriously Nintendo Get some original ideas!

MERG said:

shingi_70

If nintendo didn't want xritism they shouldn't have showed such early footage. The witcher 3 is done and is getting crap for its downgrade, and the order looks gorgeous and is still getting a ton of crap.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Nicolai

Spoony_Tech wrote:

WaLzgi wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Shadow of the Colossus to me is that one game worth owning a system for. It's one of my top 5 games ever and may even be #1, it's that good!

^Well then, I guess I just overrated it!!

I've always wondered, how come Shadow of the Collosus is always being compared to the Zelda franchise? I've never played it, but I have a friend showing me all of this gameplay footage to try to get me to buy it, and on the surface, they seem like worlds apart.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Storytime7

shingi_70 wrote:

If nintendo didn't want xritism they shouldn't have showed such early footage.

They would still get criticism from people expecting some kind of big reveal from them at the game awards.

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

jariw

shingi_70 wrote:

If nintendo didn't want xritism they shouldn't have showed such early footage.

I think Nintendo feels pretty good getting negative criticism at this point. The more people who feel underwhelmed about the product, the better. It's much easier to make a great impact later in the marketing chain (such as at E3) if people aren't overhyping things.

jariw

LzWinky

shingi_70 wrote:

If nintendo didn't want xritism they shouldn't have showed such early footage. The witcher 3 is done and is getting crap for its downgrade, and the order looks gorgeous and is still getting a ton of crap.

To be fair, if they didn't want criticism, they should have showed nothing at all...which would have gotten criticized.

Criticism is too common these days

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

jump

WaLzgi wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

To be fair, if they didn't want criticism, they should have showed nothing at all...which would have gotten criticized.

And then they get criticized for showing nothing for so long.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

LzWinky

And then that criticism gets criticized for being too critical

iKhan

WaLzgi wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

I wouldn't call it "too common". Everyone got really excited at first. I think the criticism is just people taking it with a grain of salt. And that's good.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic