Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 4,201 to 4,220 of 27,917

UGXwolf

2Sang wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

2Sang wrote:

After watching gamexplain, it looks to be very likely to be real. It's obvious that a second kid icarus character was coming, I was just hoping for medusa instead, but I guess Palatena would be ok too. It's kind of unfortunate if this is true because the magic of the character reveal will be gone. Nothing is more magical than a SSB newcomer reveal.

We'll always have the reveal trailer to look forward to, though. Even if you know a character is coming, dat reveal trailer will be amazing.

True, the trailers have so far and will most likely continue to be amazing. I meant that the fact that we know who the character will be is going to be not surprising. Perhaps it's not as bad as I'm thinking though because she was one of the most likely newcomers for smash.

I knew when Rosalina was announced that Palutena might not be so far behind. Still not sure about the legitimacy of these pics, but I wouldn't be surprised, if Palutena were in Smash 4, regardless.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Pazzo-TheFool

On Palutena: I'd be more exited if Rosalina hadn't stolen her swag. Two Magic-welding females sounds a bit stale.

EDIT: I mean two in a ROW, sorry.

Edited on by Pazzo-TheFool

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

shinpichu

Mask0Gears wrote:

On Palutena: I'd be more exited if Rosalina hadn't stolen her swag. Two Magic-welding females sounds a bit stale.

EDIT: I mean two in a ROW, sorry.

I fail to see how Rosalina and Palutena would be any way similar to each other beyond both being women who use some sort of magic. Rosalina is more of a puppet master character, a la Eddie from Guilty Gear(her closest analogue in Smash would probably be the Ice Climbers), while Palutena would probably end up being a more traditional spellcaster.

BRAND NEW Smash 4 Character poll for 2014! Vote Here:
kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=4xrbu3cl1mwy6oc281132

Fire Emblem Lord popularity poll! Vote here:

3DS Friend Code: 2251-3915-5139 | Nintendo Network ID: shinpichu

Orngeblu

This is very late, but I've wanted to correct myself about Palutena's face. It doesn't look that bad, and I can understand since it is on the 3DS if it seems just slightly off, which, to me, it does.

Brawl Friend Code: 3395-4738-9505
I also have a 3DS and Wii U.

<3 Smash Bros.

Nintendo Network ID: Orngeblu

Snagrio

One thing to remember is that, being a leak, she probably wasn't ready for an official reveal, which explains the face argument.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

NightmareXIV

I really think they need Vaati, or Girahim as characters Vaati's final smash could be Vaati's wrath, and Girahim's could be his tru form.

Earlier release petiton

https://www.change.org/petitions/nintendo-release-popular-games-in-america-sooner#share

3DS Friend Code: 1134-7192-3429 | Nintendo Network ID: NightmareXIV

UGXwolf

Vaati and Ghirahim are cool characters, but Ghirahim was a one-off, and not even from the most recent Zelda game, and Vaati hasn't been seen since Minish Cap.

TheN64Dude

Untitled
I think Roy is way more likely, but I have Robin because he's unique. I also have Tabuu as a surprise character and Smash Original IP.

@shinpichu HI SHINPICHU!

Edited on by TheN64Dude

Get "N" or Get Out!

UGXwolf

Mario, Weegee, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina check
DK, Diddy check
Wario, Yoshi, Game & Watch check
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Pikachu, Jiggly, Mewtwo, Kirby, Metaknight, King DeDeDe check
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Samus, Captain Falcon, Ness, Lucas, Pit, Palutena, Olimar check
Marth, Ike, Ice Climbers, Villager, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Sonic, Mega Man check
Now, time to start ripping holes in wants left (or ignoring what I can't really say much about.)

Would Dixie really have her own roster spot? It'd think they'd team her up with did DKC2 style.
I was under the impression ROB would be a one-timer, but who knows?
He would still be called PKMN Trainer. Lucario seems unlikely to return, if Mewtwo comes back (and I really wish they'd just replace both with Zoroark, but whatevs)
Ridley... LOVE NO. (Sorry, I'm just tired of hearing this suggestion. This is a space dragon that can pick Samus up in one hand and has done so many times in many different games, including Brawl. Why would he be playable, when Samus is already about as tall as characters get?)
Samurai Goroh seems like the go to guy for F-Zero's second, but why should F-Zero get a second (unless we're getting a new one, soon, but speculation is grim.)
Chrom seems the next in line, considering his prominence in Awakening. Can't say too much, though. Hardly know anything about FE.
Who is Lip?
Don't want to assume Snake is returning, but won't say that he's not.
Tabuu would make an excellent playable boss in a special mode where you can play as the boss against four of your friends. Otherwise, this is right up there with the playable Master Hand rumors that plagued Smash 1.

EDIT: Whoops. Sorry. Just really tired of hearing that suggestion. ^^;; Forgot I wasn't on Youtube.

Watch the language -Lz

Edited on by UGXwolf

concerndoge

Ridley sounds like a good idea.

SSB 3DS: 2380-5008-7036

MegaStoneSmash91

I don't understand why people want Roy back. What's his appeal? If anyone can think of a legitimate reason to bring him back that isn't because some people liked playing as him, or because of his crowd chant, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Dixie Kong, to me, doesn't seem like the best character choice. She has her pony tail, but her look and body build are extremely similar to Diddy's. I'm having a hard time thinking how she could be different. It's perfectly fine if she does make it to the roster, but I can't imagine her being anything but a semi-clone of Diddy. The Diddy and Dixie combo character idea would basically demote Diddy's character status. He's definitely major enough to be by himself. Again, if anyone has any good ideas, I'd like to hear them. Not because I think there aren't any, but because I really do want to see if anyone has found a good way to implement her.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Prof_Clayton

I'm honestly excited to see a few Final Smashes, I hope they show 3 or 4 in the next Direct. I just want to see how they look in HD and it will almost be like a new character reveal if they don't have one planned.

Welcome to my signature.
8 Bit Forward Come check out our Forums, Game Challenge League, Reviews, Interviews and more! http://8bitforward.forumotion.com
The Great Wall of Backlog

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9581-0860 | Nintendo Network ID: Clayton17 | Twitter:

NightmareXIV

I think they should put a few of the bosses from Mega Man games.

Earlier release petiton

https://www.change.org/petitions/nintendo-release-popular-games-in-america-sooner#share

3DS Friend Code: 1134-7192-3429 | Nintendo Network ID: NightmareXIV

Snagrio

DestinyMan wrote:

I'm in the middle as far as Ridley. He would be cool as playable, but he's perfectly fine as a stage hazard or boss as well. I don't think size is that big of a deal considering Olimar is insect-size in his games and Bowser's big size fluctuates in the Mario series.

As I've stated before, I originally wanted Dixie Kong to be playable, but I recently realized that she would probably not be too different from Diddy Kong. She has her ponytail, but she's still quick and nimble like Diddy. She was actually considered to be included in Brawl, but she was cut, and likely because of her sameness to Diddy. I'd rather have King K. Rool.

So does Ridley's in the Metroid series. Sure not as often, but in the early games he was about Samus' size.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

DreamyViridi

WingedSnagret wrote:

DestinyMan wrote:

I'm in the middle as far as Ridley. He would be cool as playable, but he's perfectly fine as a stage hazard or boss as well. I don't think size is that big of a deal considering Olimar is insect-size in his games and Bowser's big size fluctuates in the Mario series.

As I've stated before, I originally wanted Dixie Kong to be playable, but I recently realized that she would probably not be too different from Diddy Kong. She has her ponytail, but she's still quick and nimble like Diddy. She was actually considered to be included in Brawl, but she was cut, and likely because of her sameness to Diddy. I'd rather have King K. Rool.

So does Ridley's in the Metroid series. Sure not as often, but in the early games he was about Samus' size.

I think I mentioned this before but unlike Bowser; Ridley got bigger throughout the series and stayed big. Other M evolution aside, I don't think he's been properly downsized before. Not a Metroid fan though, so feel free to prove me wrong on that.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

shinpichu

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PEOPLE:

"CANON" SIZE DOES NOT MATTER IN SMASH BROS.

Olimar is the size of a quarter in his own games. He can fit inside ROB's eye sockets in Pikmin 2.

Ganondorf towers over Link in Twilight Princess, yet he isn't much taller than Link in Brawl.

And on the "well, I don't want him playable because it might somehow make him less threatening," let me ask you this: did being playable make Ganondorf less threatening? And how does being a boss with heavily telegraphed and easy to avoid attacks NOT make him "less threatening"?

Edited on by shinpichu

BRAND NEW Smash 4 Character poll for 2014! Vote Here:
kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=4xrbu3cl1mwy6oc281132

Fire Emblem Lord popularity poll! Vote here:

3DS Friend Code: 2251-3915-5139 | Nintendo Network ID: shinpichu

UGXwolf

If you wanna get right down to it, there's a subconscious line between Ganondorf and Ridley, for most of us. We see Ganondorf and think "oh, he looks cool! Let's make him playable!" We see Ridley, and our first response is "wow! He's awesome. Boss time!" It may be tied to human vs. monster. It may not. It's hard to say, but at the end of the day, comes down to the fact that Ridley just doesn't feel like a playable character. This is coming from someone who most enjoys Nintendo's mainstream titles, like Mario and Zelda. This is the majority, so it makes sense to think the majority would have more sway.

This is all silly, however, because Sakurai will do what he wants to do, and if he wants to make Ridley playable, he's gonna do it.

That said, hear me out on an idea I had a while ago the put an end to this argument. What if bosses were playable? Not in normal 4-player free for all, but in a special multiplayer boss mode, where the player with the gamepad gets to play and control a boss. The attacks get less telegraphed and the order is decided entirely by the player. The attacks all have cooldown, which is indicated on buttons on the GamePad screen. These won't all cool at the same rate, though.

Say you're playing Tabuu. You see Off Waves and immediately press that button. Only one death. Well that's disappointing. You're just gonna wait for that button to refill... oh... that's gonna take about 40 seconds because of how powerful that move is. You'll have to use some of your other attacks to pass the time, so you don't spam that one.

I think this would be a great way to promote the asymetric gameplay Nintendo's been trying to draw attention to, and it gives fans the chance to play as some of their favorite characters that are really better served as bosses. Like Ridley. Or the Yellow Devil. Thoughts?

KingDunsparce

@UGXwolf That sounds fantastic to me! I hope that's what happens!

"I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ―Cave Johnson
Join the Chit-Chat Crew! :P

3DS Friend Code: 2938-6384-0441 | Nintendo Network ID: Pikminsi

DreamyViridi

@UGXwolf - Sounds like a cool idea to me. It'd have to be fleshed out a bit but yeah, I think that could work well if done right.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic