Forums

Topic: Starcraft 2 on Wii U?

Posts 1 to 9 of 9

Neoproteus

I always thought the only thing holding the Wii back from having an awesome RTS game was the resolution. Now that the Wii U is Hi Res and even includes an input device similar to a mouse in the gamepad's touch screen, I think it's about time RTS games started becoming a thing on consoles. Starcraft 2 is just about the greatest RTS game ever, so it would be the most obvious candidate for porting. Maybe you wouldn't be able to play at a pro level and there probably wouldn't be anything like local multiplayer (unless they enable LAN on this version), but I know I would buy it.

If not Starcraft 2 specifically, perhaps Nintendo could RTS one of it's own franchises. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, and Star Fox could all spawn great RTS spin-offs with enough creative license. What do you think?

Edit: Not sure why this got locked. Continuing the discussion on back-from-the-dead topic here: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii-u/starcraft_ii_for_wii...

Edited on by Neoproteus

Neoproteus

Shining-Void

Isn't Pikmin a RST game? Also i'm pretty sure Pokemon conquest qualifies as well. I can't see any of nintendo's other franchises working as a strategy game. I have starcraft 2 on my pc ,but it would be nice to have it on the wii u.

Edited on by Shining-Void

Shining-Void

Nintendo Network ID: Eternal-Cyprees

Neoproteus

Star-Blaze wrote:

Isn't Pikmin a RST game? Also i'm pretty sure Pokemon conquest qualifies as well. I can't see any of nintendo's other franchises working as a strategy game. I have starcraft 2 on my pc ,but it would be nice to have it on the wii u.

No, Pikmin is not an RTS, or at least not a proper RTS, as you don't control your units directly, and you don't build structures. Pokemon Conquest is a Turn-Based strategy game, like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics, not a Real-Time Strategy game.

Neoproteus

moomoo

WhiteKnight wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Actually the lead designer said that it just might work. The thread with that article is here.

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii-u/starcraft_ii_for_wii...

Starcraft 'worked' on the N64. I dunno whether it 'working' on the Wii U is much of an endorsement.

Oh come on, you get it. There's a difference between "working" and working, and this could actually work. The stylus can easily act as a mouse. Since RTS's work very well on touch screens (just look at the iPad), I think a device that uses a stylus as its main method of interaction with the screen over a finger with a screen could definitely work.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

WesCash

I can't really endorse RTS games on anything but a PC. Two major things that would be missing with a stylus or touch screen:

1) How do you differentiate between what a right click and left click would do on a PC?
2) Hotkeys are a huge part of RTS games and I don't really see a justifiable alternative without a keyboard.

Granted, I have never played a console RTS so perhaps there are ways of getting around these two things that I hadn't thought of.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

Bankai

moomoo wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Actually the lead designer said that it just might work. The thread with that article is here.

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii-u/starcraft_ii_for_wii...

Starcraft 'worked' on the N64. I dunno whether it 'working' on the Wii U is much of an endorsement.

Oh come on, you get it. There's a difference between "working" and working, and this could actually work. The stylus can easily act as a mouse. Since RTS's work very well on touch screens (just look at the iPad), I think a device that uses a stylus as its main method of interaction with the screen over a finger with a screen could definitely work.

RTS' work well on the iPad what now? I've played the Gameloft Starcraft clone (Starfront) and no, it doesn't play very well at all.

There's also the fact that it would be impossible to play this on both screens at once - you'd need to focus entirely on the Wii U tablet.

Why do people always assume with the Wii U that you'll be able to dedicate complete attention to both screens at all times? The limitations of this gameplay style are going to shock a lot of people I think.

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.