Forums

Topic: Should Nintendo bring out a next gen console sooner or later?

Posts 81 to 100 of 100

iKhan

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Anyway, new ideas like a next gen motion controller, VR/headtracking, or any crazy ideas they are cooking up in the hardware lab that require a physical hardware element really need a new console to see success. Peripherals don't sell, and on the rare occasion they do, they don't get support, as they have a fraction of the install base of the main system.

Well for a start I think if VR is on the cards for the next generation of consoles it'll be as a thing that's supported not a thing that comes in the box. Going all in on VR for your primary platform especially given the added cost of the tech right now would be suicide. I'm willing to wager that their next platform will still be built around the idea that it lives on your TV, especially given the type of games that Nintendo does well (i.e. Smash and Kart).

As for the other bit I think you have a bit of a double standard going on there. You're very quick to argue that the GamePad should go but for some reason think that some other crazy experiment and nothing else is all that they need. If you hadn't noticed the Kinect on XBOne bombed, PSMove was a failure and even the novelty of the Wii ground to a halt towards the end of the Wii's life. Don't get me wrong, I do think that Nintendo will probably shake things up again because that's what they do. I just don't think they'll do it that quickly given how much more the Wii U has to offer.

I deleted that drop the Gamepad topic a while back for a reason. Nintendo went with it this gen and they have to stick with it. It may not be innovative (for single player), but it does add a unique experience relative to competitors.

But I do want the Gamepad to go next gen because I think it's a misstep. I've seen what Nintendo has to offer, and it's mostly stuff that could be done with the Wii or DS. A new idea that brings another innovative experience is exactly what any console could do well with if done well. The examples you mentioned haven't been handled well. Microsoft initially tried to please everyone with the original XB1. They made it powerful for the hardcore gamers, bundled Kinect for people who wanted motion controls, and included a regular controller for those who didn't. The result was a platform that was too expensive and that split the features across different games rather than standing by one feature. As a result, they had to drop Kinect to refocus. The PSMove, like I said, was a peripheral, and peripherals don't succeed. Don't you think Uncharted would have Move support it it actually came with the system?

The Wii ground to a screeching halt because Nintendo stopped making many games in 2011, and really stopped focusing on selling the platform in favor of setting up Wii U and 3DS.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kereke12

Bolt_Strike wrote:

4K probably isn't going to add much, especially not gameplay wise. I doubt Nintendo is even considering it, it probably wouldn't be worth their efforts.

Sadly, Nintendo doesn't know how to make an effort in anything.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Switch Friend Code: sw-4699-3487-8963 | My Nintendo: kereke12 | Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

kereke12

iKhan wrote:

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Anyway, new ideas like a next gen motion controller, VR/headtracking, or any crazy ideas they are cooking up in the hardware lab that require a physical hardware element really need a new console to see success. Peripherals don't sell, and on the rare occasion they do, they don't get support, as they have a fraction of the install base of the main system.

Well for a start I think if VR is on the cards for the next generation of consoles it'll be as a thing that's supported not a thing that comes in the box. Going all in on VR for your primary platform especially given the added cost of the tech right now would be suicide. I'm willing to wager that their next platform will still be built around the idea that it lives on your TV, especially given the type of games that Nintendo does well (i.e. Smash and Kart).

As for the other bit I think you have a bit of a double standard going on there. You're very quick to argue that the GamePad should go but for some reason think that some other crazy experiment and nothing else is all that they need. If you hadn't noticed the Kinect on XBOne bombed, PSMove was a failure and even the novelty of the Wii ground to a halt towards the end of the Wii's life. Don't get me wrong, I do think that Nintendo will probably shake things up again because that's what they do. I just don't think they'll do it that quickly given how much more the Wii U has to offer.

I deleted that drop the Gamepad topic a while back for a reason. Nintendo went with it this gen and they have to stick with it. It may not be innovative (for single player), but it does add a unique experience relative to competitors.

But I do want the Gamepad to go next gen because I think it's a misstep. I've seen what Nintendo has to offer, and it's mostly stuff that could be done with the Wii or DS. A new idea that brings another innovative experience is exactly what any console could do well with if done well. The examples you mentioned haven't been handled well. Microsoft initially tried to please everyone with the original XB1. They made it powerful for the hardcore gamers, bundled Kinect for people who wanted motion controls, and included a regular controller for those who didn't. The result was a platform that was too expensive and that split the features across different games rather than standing by one feature. As a result, they had to drop Kinect to refocus. The PSMove, like I said, was a peripheral, and peripherals don't succeed. Don't you think Uncharted would have Move support it it actually came with the system?

The Wii ground to a screeching halt because Nintendo stopped making many games in 2011, and really stopped focusing on selling the platform in favor of setting up Wii U and 3DS.

We all see what Nintendo has to offer....But that would be a much bigger failure if they take the gamepad with them.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Switch Friend Code: sw-4699-3487-8963 | My Nintendo: kereke12 | Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

ReBirFh

What kind of new and unique experiences people were expecting to see on the gamepad that wasn't already explored on smartphones or Nintendo's own handhelds?

Edited on by ReBirFh

ReBirFh

iKhan

Rebelarch86 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Were you upset when the GBA died after 3 years?

The difference with the GBA is that the GBA was seriously holding back what they could do. Any complaints fans might have had were quickly forgotten when Mario Kart went 3D and online, Super Mario 64 was portable and their Mum picked one up for Brain Training. The fact that portable consoles are a much smaller investment and the system had full backwards compatibility also helped.

I just don't see what Nintendo would be able to do on a higher powered system in the next year that'd be worth it. They have decent enough hardware that they can push out their ideas without many restrictions. And I say this as someone who thought getting a high-ish end PC was worth it. If they stretched it out two two years from now they could go for a high-end machine and push for 4K I guess. I'm not sure how much that'd actually be worth it though. How many people are picking up 4K sets? How many people really care about games like Mario in 4K? With the Wii it was immediately obvious to me that the hardware was holding them back, I don't feel that with the Wii U.

I can however see a proper successor to the 3DS. They've already shown how much even a half step would be worth it and they're already pushing it to its limits with games like Pokemon and Smash. Imagine a 3DS successor in early 2016 that had the automatically adjusting 3D, 3x the vertical screen resolution with power of a two year old flagship smartphone driving it. All at a decent price and with traditional gaming controls we love. Throw a new Mario on it or a port of something like Twilight Princess? Sign me up, when can I get it?

I don't think the Wii U's power is holding them back, but I do think the Gamepad is holding them back.

Nintendo went into the Gamepad without much thought of what NEW ideas it could bring in multiplayer. It seems like it's mostly being used in the same way either the DS or Wii were. I'd love for Nintendo to move forward and explore new and more viable innovations. And IMO, they can't do that without a new system, as they need confidence that enough people have the necessary hardware.

You'll have to pry my gamepad from my cold dead hands. The game pad is the best feature I've ever had in a game system. Add features don't take them away. Dual screen and motion is here to stay. Same as joysticks and buttons, and d pads. Just shake them up to make room for new features.

Dual screen is nice and all, but the cost is too high to maintain it in all systems. They'll have to make dual screen an optional feature in future platforms.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

SCRAPPER392

IceClimbers wrote:

And Nintendo has not proved that. No game from Nintendo has truly proved its usefulness. Ubisoft has done a better job at that with ZombiU than Nintendo has. Wind Waker HD? Map and inventory - the same thing done in OoT3D. Pikmin 3? Map (though it's very useful there) and touch controls. DKC Tropical Freeze? Doesn't use it at all outside of Off TV Play. Nintendo Land? Ok, I'll give you that one. Smash Bros? Drawing stages/screenshots and NFC (amiibo), both of which the 3DS is more than capable of doing. Fatal Frame? This one uses the GamePad well, but it could have easily been made for 3DS. Mario Kart 8? Gyro controls, displaying the map, horn. Congrats.

Better hope Splatoon and Star Fox prove the GamePad's usefulness.

That still ignores the point I was making, that it opens up more software options, like touch screen games on a console, or immediate NFC and motion control support. When a machine like this comes out, the potential is the main aspect in the eyes of a developer. If you feel as though the GamePad hasn't been used creatively enough, that is a fair opinion and I'm inclined to agree, but that is why my point is that the potential is there. Whether that potential has been taken advantage of is a different discussion.

I've already explained like 2 times how Wii U can do more stuff than 3DS. Saying, "it could have been done on 3DS", is seriously an ignorant comment. There's a difference between potential and execution, which you guys aren't understanding.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Endriu7777

iKhan wrote:

Rebelarch86 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

The difference with the GBA is that the GBA was seriously holding back what they could do. Any complaints fans might have had were quickly forgotten when Mario Kart went 3D and online, Super Mario 64 was portable and their Mum picked one up for Brain Training. The fact that portable consoles are a much smaller investment and the system had full backwards compatibility also helped.

I just don't see what Nintendo would be able to do on a higher powered system in the next year that'd be worth it. They have decent enough hardware that they can push out their ideas without many restrictions. And I say this as someone who thought getting a high-ish end PC was worth it. If they stretched it out two two years from now they could go for a high-end machine and push for 4K I guess. I'm not sure how much that'd actually be worth it though. How many people are picking up 4K sets? How many people really care about games like Mario in 4K? With the Wii it was immediately obvious to me that the hardware was holding them back, I don't feel that with the Wii U.

I can however see a proper successor to the 3DS. They've already shown how much even a half step would be worth it and they're already pushing it to its limits with games like Pokemon and Smash. Imagine a 3DS successor in early 2016 that had the automatically adjusting 3D, 3x the vertical screen resolution with power of a two year old flagship smartphone driving it. All at a decent price and with traditional gaming controls we love. Throw a new Mario on it or a port of something like Twilight Princess? Sign me up, when can I get it?

I don't think the Wii U's power is holding them back, but I do think the Gamepad is holding them back.

Nintendo went into the Gamepad without much thought of what NEW ideas it could bring in multiplayer. It seems like it's mostly being used in the same way either the DS or Wii were. I'd love for Nintendo to move forward and explore new and more viable innovations. And IMO, they can't do that without a new system, as they need confidence that enough people have the necessary hardware.

You'll have to pry my gamepad from my cold dead hands. The game pad is the best feature I've ever had in a game system. Add features don't take them away. Dual screen and motion is here to stay. Same as joysticks and buttons, and d pads. Just shake them up to make room for new features.

Dual screen is nice and all, but the cost is too high to maintain it in all systems. They'll have to make dual screen an optional feature in future platforms.

I think the dual screen was an idea similar to the mandatory kinect thing from microsoft. If all gamers buy it bundled with the console it turns into a high install base and producing games for it becomes potentially lucrative. If the gamepad was sold separately not too many people might have bought it and producing games for it would have become potentially less profitable. I guess that was the idea behind it...

The whole problem is that nintendo failed to produce interesting launch games that showed the potential of it. And if Nintendo doesnt produce games using that feature who else will? From what I have seen on youtube only zombi u and lego city undercover show and deus ex are using it to its (full?) potential.

Anyway, I think its a nice idea in the end and I hope that Nintendo will bring out games in the future that will really make use of that feature.

Endriu7777

iKhan

Endriu7777 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Rebelarch86 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think the dual screen was an idea similar to the mandatory kinect thing from microsoft. If all gamers buy it bundled with the console it turns into a high install base and producing games for it becomes potentially lucrative. If the gamepad was sold separately not too many people might have bought it and producing games for it would have become potentially less profitable. I guess that was the idea behind it...

The whole problem is that nintendo failed to produce interesting launch games that showed the potential of it. And if Nintendo doesnt produce games using that feature who else will? From what I have seen on youtube only zombi u and lego city undercover show and deus ex are using it to its (full?) potential.

Anyway, I think its a nice idea in the end and I hope that Nintendo will bring out games in the future that will really make use of that feature.

I agree, but you have to draw the line somewhere as to when it's worth the cost of including a peripheral. Unlike Kinect or Wii, some gamepad features are easy to add even when it's optional. Just porting a pause screen isn't all that tough. On the other hand from what I hear motion controls are tough to program. So bundling is a powerful tool.

Endriu7777

[quote=iKhan

I agree, but you have to draw the line somewhere as to when it's worth the cost of including a peripheral. Unlike Kinect or Wii, some gamepad features are easy to add even when it's optional. Just porting a pause screen isn't all that tough. On the other hand from what I hear motion controls are tough to program. So bundling is a powerful tool.

[/quote]

Exactly! Funny thing here is that we actually didn't get too much in return for our investment. But maybe that is yet to change. I would really like to some unique and innovative games on the wii u that make use of the gamepad in such a way that it was impossible to put those games on any other console. Maybe kirby will be such a game, I doubt its gonna be a system seller though...

Endriu7777

Bass_X0

Nintendo should try something new to them next time. Make a new console as powerful as the PlayStation 5 and release it before or the same time. Even if it does cost twice as much as a Wii U.

Being innovative is all very well and good, but its power that sells. Keep the Wii U around as a family console, and have the next console be for gamers.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Boshar

A followup to the Wii U would face some hard decisions. The last 2 Nintendo generations offered backward compatibility to the previous model so you would kind of expect a followup console to play Wii U games which in turn would need the gamepad.

What we know right now is that Nintendo is unifying handheld an home console development in order to create one game and use it on both platforms. The DS, 3DS and N3DS all use dual screens so a new handheld / Wii U follow up is bound to have 2 screens which means tablet controller. Also with the current shrink in marketshare Nintendo kan ill afford to alienate their current supporters. All of that points to tablet controller support, backward compatibility and modest hardware (PS4 / XBone level to try to get 3rd party onboard).

The only way I see them releasing radically different hardware is after changing their online strategy in a way that would bind game purchases to your Nintendo ID and migrating your 'licenses' to the different not backward compatible hardware.

Boshar

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3401-8648 | Nintendo Network ID: HarryB

6ch6ris6

@Boshar makes sense. i really love the dual screen approach on handhelds (goes perfect with clamshell design that protects buttons and screens!). only played 10 minutes of mario kart 8 on wiiU so i dunno how it feels with a home console.

a beasty home console on par with the competition and a nice handheld that feels comfortable enough to use as a controller for the console. that'd be perfect but it would cost a lot of money!

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

skywake

iKhan wrote:

Then why has the only thing you've come up with in support of your "kill the Wii U early" idea been the GamePad? The GamePad doesn't detract from the sort of games that are traditionally on consoles. It does however open the console up to games that aren't as traditional. You need more than "not-gamepad" to convince me and I suspect a lot of people to buy into yet another a new console in 2016.

iKhan wrote:

The Wii was starting to lose momentum well before then and it was obvious that the hardware was seriously limiting them. Don't get me wrong I loved the Wii but even as one of its biggest defenders it was obvious it wasn't going to last. The first time I played a Wii game that wasn't Wii Sports on a set that was bigger than 32" it was clear that they were well behind the curve. Especially when bigger and bigger TVs were getting cheaper by the day. Early on it didn't matter because the controller carried the system, when that novelty faded and when I was playing DKCR and shaking the remote to blow on things? All that was left was the hardware limitations.

With the Wii U there's none of that. With the Wii I would move between Wii where there were games that only Nintendo could make and my PC where there were games that couldn't possibly exist on the Wii's hardware. With the Wii U and PC now it feels like they largely could have the same games. If someone was to say that a game like Bioshock Infinite was headed to Wii U my mind wouldn't immediately jump to all the compromises they'd need to make. When I beat Bioshock Infinite a week or so ago I started Bayonneta 2 and in no way did it feel like a step down. If anything it was a step up because it's summer and the Wii U is both not a room heater and lives in a bigger room that has aircon

Do I think there will eventually be a point where the Wii U needs replacing? Sure, 100%. I just don't think that's now or even close to now. As it is there aren't many games that are screaming for more horsepower for reasons other than the game being poorly optimised. A lot of the greatest content out there would be able to be on the Wii U so I'm sure Nintendo can continue to make games that impress on the hardware. When that's no longer true then we can start talking about the exit strategy.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

kereke12 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

4K probably isn't going to add much, especially not gameplay wise. I doubt Nintendo is even considering it, it probably wouldn't be worth their efforts.

Sadly, Nintendo doesn't know how to make an effort in anything.

Dang, man/woman. I genuinely feel a bit sorry for you. That's a rather hopeless attitude to take toward a company that I'm relatively sure you don't work for or have had close working contact with.

rallydefault

Endriu7777

skywake wrote:

The Wii was starting to lose momentum well before then and it was obvious that the hardware was seriously limiting them. Don't get me wrong I loved the Wii but even as one of its biggest defenders it was obvious it wasn't going to last. The first time I played a Wii game that wasn't Wii Sports on a set that was bigger than 32" it was clear that they were well behind the curve. Especially when bigger and bigger TVs were getting cheaper by the day. Early on it didn't matter because the controller carried the system, when that novelty faded and when I was playing DKCR and shaking the remote to blow on things? All that was left was the hardware limitations.

With the Wii U there's none of that. With the Wii I would move between Wii where there were games that only Nintendo could make and my PC where there were games that couldn't possibly exist on the Wii's hardware. With the Wii U and PC now it feels like they largely could have the same games. If someone was to say that a game like Bioshock Infinite was headed to Wii U my mind wouldn't immediately jump to all the compromises they'd need to make. When I beat Bioshock Infinite a week or so ago I started Bayonneta 2 and in no way did it feel like a step down. If anything it was a step up because it's summer and the Wii U is both not a room heater and lives in a bigger room that has aircon

Do I think there will eventually be a point where the Wii U needs replacing? Sure, 100%. I just don't think that's now or even close to now. As it is there aren't many games that are screaming for more horsepower for reasons other than the game being poorly optimised. A lot of the greatest content out there would be able to be on the Wii U so I'm sure Nintendo can continue to make games that impress on the hardware. When that's no longer true then we can start talking about the exit strategy.

Speaking of which I wonder why they stopped producing new games that use the wiimote. I mean they could have continued on the wii u now that the hardware is more powerful. Generally speaking, I have to realize that the wii u is certainly lacking in certain aspects when it comes to compatibility between the systems. I highly value that its backwards compatible, thats for sure. But why cant I fully use the wiimote in the wii u menu? Or why cant I use the gamepad at all in the wii menu? Or why cant I use the Controller pro for classic controller supported wii games? Thats a little bit odd, I am no expert but it seems that these issues wouldnt be so difficult for Nintendo to master/programm/update.

I hope very much that they will make their next console backwards compatible, that would be a huge selling point (for me) but when I think about the possible controller madness? Probably they will make new controllers for the new system, needing the gamepad/pro controller to operate the wii u menu and wiimote/nunchuk to operate the wii menu. but thats OK, it would still work for me

Edited on by Endriu7777

Endriu7777

skywake

Endriu7777 wrote:

Speaking of which I wonder why they stopped producing new games that use the wiimote. I mean they could have continued on the wii u now that the hardware is more powerful.

Well for a start not everyone who has a Wii U will have a WiiMote. You don't build a game that requires an accessory that some people won't have. That said a lot of games for Wii U do use the WiiMote it's just not the default anymore because it's not the default controller. Worth remembering that when the Wii U launched New SMB U, one of the only launch titles, supported WiiMotes but didn't support the Pro Controller.

Endriu7777 wrote:

why cant I fully use the wiimote in the wii u menu? Or why cant I use the gamepad at all in the wii menu? Or why cant I use the Controller pro for classic controller supported wii games? Thats a little bit odd, I am no expert but it seems that these issues wouldnt be so difficult for Nintendo to master/programm/update.

I was under the impression that you could use the WiiMote. I seem to remember being able to get into WiiMode holding just a WiiMote before they added the "quick boot to WiiMode" option. So unless it's just that I've never cared enough to try and am completely mistaken I don't think that's quite right.

As for WiiU controllers in WiiMode, well that's an entirely different thing. WiiMode is quarantined from the Wii U itself, you're effectively turning on a Wii inside of your Wii U when you run in that mode. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be possible to patch WiiMode to support the Pro Controller but I can equally understand why maybe they can't do it. I suspect that they could probably patch the menu itself and the VC games but actual Wii retail games? Less clear. Depends on whether they could actually trick the game into thinking the Pro Controller/Gamepad was a CC or not.

Edited on by skywake

Endriu7777

[quote=Endriu7777]

skywake wrote:

Well for a start not everyone who has a Wii U will have a WiiMote. You don't build a game that requires an accessory that some people won't have. That said a lot of games for Wii U do use the WiiMote it's just not the default anymore because it's not the default controller. Worth remembering that when the Wii U launched New SMB U, one of the only launch titles, supported WiiMotes but didn't support the Pro Controller.

I was under the impression that you could use the WiiMote. I seem to remember being able to get into WiiMode holding just a WiiMote before they added the "quick boot to WiiMode" option. So unless it's just that I've never cared enough to try and am completely mistaken I don't think that's quite right.

As for WiiU controllers in WiiMode, well that's an entirely different thing. WiiMode is quarantined from the Wii U itself, you're effectively turning on a Wii inside of your Wii U when you run in that mode. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be possible to patch WiiMode to support the Pro Controller but I can equally understand why maybe they can't do it. I suspect that they could probably patch the menu itself and the VC games but actual Wii retail games? Less clear. Depends on whether they could actually trick the game into thinking the Pro Controller/Gamepad was a CC or not.

True, I didnt think of the possibility to play NSMBU with wiimote...

Yes, you can use the wiimote in Wii U menu but you cannot do all. I tried to get into settings menu with wiimote and was prompted to use the gamepad. Its a very minor issue, thoug, nothing that would bother me...

Endriu7777

Hotfusion

The Wii u would probably end up being the worst sold console since the Sony era... or rather the modern era. I do not see it selling any better this year considering what it had last year.

Releasing another console early with the equivalent or slightly more power than the PS4 is pretty much making the same old mistake over again.
No one cares about Mintendo home consoles except a shrinking number of fans, because it is kiddie Mario stuff. I speak from a UK POV.

If you have kids that go to school, college or uni ask them why their friends don't have a wii u. If you have friends that are gamers ask them why they don't own the Wii U.

It's always the same answers "cartoony, kiddie, same old boring mario". No "realistic" sports sims or "realistic" type games. Next is then no proper online ... Blah, blah.
The Wii showed the world what owning a Nintendo home console was about and after more than two years, Wii u sales proves not many came back for more.

Nintendo home console fans hate to admit it but it is the truth. You (.. ummm... we) are a small and shrinking minority that unless things change won't be able to sustain any Nintendo home console.

Nintendo created this whole situation they find themselves in and I think they should ride it out at least another three years. The Wii U will always be on life support and come end of 2015 they would have put all they major best selling franchises on it, but you made it so live with it.

To be honest I myself am getting a bit tired of this. Of all the games on Wii U in 2015 only one interest me. Maybe two or three if pushed but I am pretty certain that Project Cars will be cancelled.

Hotfusion

skywake

Hotfusion wrote:

To be honest I myself am getting a bit tired of this

Ain't that the truth

MegaMari0

GoneFishin wrote:

munchakoopas wrote:

They don't have much of a choice. Axe it too early and you risk losing a huge chunk of your fanbase. They need to release the new one at the earliest 2018. you can expect Microsoft/sony's console to last at least as long as the 360/ps3 did. 8yrs my friend.

Just because it's a failure doesn't mean that it has to have just about the longest lifespan ever seen for a Nintendo console. 5 years is considered the norm and I believe that 4 is close enough for respectability to appease the diehard Nintendo fans that supported them this generation (Assuming that they manage to actually keep the software flowing through year 4... if 2016 is largely empty until the successor arrives that Fall, it isn't going to fly well with what amounts to 3 years of real support.).

And don't expect the XB1/PS4 to last as long as the 360/PS3 have done. Unlike the last time around, they approached their hardware with a far more modest approach this time. They won't be dragging it out to the better part of a decade before replacement. It won't be as well suited for that task as the previous generation was where they basically broke the bank with the most powerful hardware that they could create. And they won't need to drag it out due to years of losses early on in their lifespan.

I expect to see the XB1/PS4 replaced in the Fall of 2018, or 2019 at the latest. It won't be in the 2020's. From day 1, high-end PC's have outdone both systems with ease (Consoles that are struggling alarmingly with just meeting the 60 FPS/1080p expectations everyone had for this generation).

Compare that with 2005/2006 where the 360 and PS3 were giving top of the line gaming rigs a real run for their money for quite sometime.

I'm not going to say i'm a die hard nintendo fan but personally, I want to get my money's worth.I bought mine in fall of 2013 so nintendo releasing a new one in a little over a year or 2 would leave me feeling a little burned. I invest $300+ and the games which so far amount to another 200 or more PLUS another 120 for splatoon and LoZ so I better see this system stick around until 2017, preferably 2018. I agree with the modest approach of the other 2 since they went with CUSTOM specs in the last generation. That alone meant it was expensive as opposed to this generation where it's basically off the shelf parts.(not exactly but close enough)That being said, they can afford to drag out this generation because the cost of manufactuing won't be as high as the last one thus starting the profitable years earlier than the last generation. According to nintendo, all they needed to do was sell 1 game to make money on the console because they were selling it at a loss but only by a little. I expect the new console for MS/Sony to be on 2020 or later. That's just my take on this whole thing.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.