Forums

Topic: How many of you ONLY own a Wii-U for next gen gaming?

Posts 341 to 360 of 416

AlexSays

kyuubikid213 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

Yes, a little magic and boom, you have backwards compatibility.

That is precisely how it happens lol

If you could cut it out with the "lol" and actually read posts, you'd see that that ins't what he said at all, but whatever.

His post ignores the fact the PS3 uses a very peculiar type of technology.

It doesn't matter how advanced the PS4 is. It doesn't matter how advanced a PC is. Nothing can just magically play PS3 games, that's not how backwards compatibility works.

If you two believe it can happen relatively easily, good for you. There's nothing I can do to 'prove' that's wrong, besides asking you two to do some independent research.

AlexSays

kyuubikid213

AlexSays wrote:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

Yes, a little magic and boom, you have backwards compatibility.

That is precisely how it happens lol

If you could cut it out with the "lol" and actually read posts, you'd see that that ins't what he said at all, but whatever.

His post ignores the fact the PS3 uses a very peculiar type of technology.

It doesn't matter how advanced the PS4 is. It doesn't matter how advanced a PC is. Nothing can just magically play PS3 games, that's not how backwards compatibility works.

If you two believe it can happen relatively easily, good for you. There's nothing I can do to 'prove' that's wrong, besides asking you two to do some independent research.

No one's saying "magically", but fine. I'm done with this thread. Off to play EarthBound. Bye.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Einherjar

@AlexSays So, for you "upgrading easily" means switching an internal HDD , where i then have to redownload / install every game seperatly ? Sure, its also my idea of conveninace, really. Also, since the demand for such small internal HDDs is so phenomenal, their prices are higher than the ones of external HDDs. SO i know im getting a quality product... sigh
And believe it or not, i usually play games more than just once, so constantly switching between them happens from time to time. If youre ok with waiting 20-30 minutes between inserting the disc and playing the game, well, good for you.
Im all but ok with that though, since no other console has such "problems".

EDIT: Backwards compatibility.
Well, regarding the specific technology...so did the PS2. It used several very specific chips, its most famous one was a dedicated chip for a facial animation engine. And believe it or not, like i said, even PS3 system without it are capable of playing said games.
All the PS4 needed would be a small chipset addition that takes care of the PS3s specific hardware functions. Everything else can be handled by emulation. The system has more than enough power to support it.
And yes, you have no way to prove it wrong. But the PS3s backwards compatibility is a way to prove it to be possible.

@kyuubikid213 Have fun with Earthbound Thanks for the nice discussion.

Edited on by Einherjar

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

AlexSays

In order to do it without increasing the price of the console, it would have to be magical. If you increase the price of the console, there's no point in hurting your sales when consumers could just buy a PS3.

More expensive PS4 that plays PS3 games = less profit
Cheaper PS4 and consumers buy a PS3 for PS3 games = more profit

It's not reasonable to expect Sony to take a financial loss incorporating older technology into the PS4, for the sake of people saving a few dollars over purchasing (or just sticking with..) a PS3.

AlexSays

AlexSays

Over the lifetime of the console, an afternoon upgrading your hdd is not a super abundance of time.

And no, I don't have a problem waiting 20-30 minutes for a couple reasons. 1) I never feel the need to switch between more than 10 games all at once. 2) It has literally never taken me 20-30 minutes to install a game.

If you regularly switch between 15 games and feel that upgrading your hdd once would cost you too much of your life, I agree that the PS4 is probably a poor choice for you.

Einherjar wrote:

And yes, you have no way to prove it wrong. But the PS3s backwards compatibility is a way to prove it to be possible.

Yes, backwards compatibility with the PS2 shows how easy it is to run backwards compatibility for an entirely different console. PS4 to the PS3 is totally like the PS3 to the PS2. Without it increasing the cost, size, and heat production, of course.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Einherjar

Ok, im joining @kyuubikid213. Youre obviously missing the entire point here or are simply inept of understanding it. Well, have a great day, discussing with you has been a great waste of time

Einherjar

sub12

Backwards compatability is only really useful for consoles that tend to have little to no third party support and large software droughts.

sub12

AlexSays

You're right man, I am missing your overwhelming amount of evidence that a PS4 could be backwards compatible without increasing the size, heat production, and cost of the system.

I'm glad you think there is a small little magical chip that would accomplish those things. Perhaps everyone else just isn't intelligent enough to produce one, in which case maybe you could write to Sony.

Explain to them how easy it is, I'd like to play the ToS collection on my PS4 one day. Let me know when they write back

AlexSays

Jaz007

@Einherjar It's not that easy. Early PS3s had backwards compatability because they had PS2 componetents. Then they got taken out to ruduce price and lost backwards compatability. If Sony could have just done by adding some files they would have, but they couldn't. PS2 games on the PSN store isn't backwards compatability, I'm pretty sure they had to work on each game's files to make them work on the PS3.

Jaz007

Einherjar

@Jaz007 No they havent. Look up a softmod method for any PS3 to play any PS2 games, even for those models that dont come with the additional hardware. All youre doing is replacing sonys restricted emulator software with an open one. There is no hardware problem. You can get around that through emulation alone.

Its the same deal as with EA telling people the new SimCity wont be able to work offline since it would require them to rewrite the code from scrath, all the while a hacker changed a single line of code and made it happen. Its like @AlexSays said, they simply want to cash in on people who are willing enough to buy a PS3 alongside a PS4. It has nothing to do with inability getting it to work.

But then again. Alex will probably correct that anyways, being the authority on the subject here "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is the king"

Einherjar

AlexSays

I don't have to correct you, saying hardware doesn't matter is pretty indicative that you have no idea what you're talking about.

You don't understand how the PS3 is different than every other console. This is like when another NL user said porting games was as simple as putting a PS3 disc into a computer and having it write onto a 360 disc.

At this point I just nod my head in agreement and say ok man, whatever you say

Let's say hypothetically Sony could make a backwards compatible PS4 easily without costing them money, increasing the size substantially, and ramping up heat production... why not make a limited number, inflate the price, and watch consumers go crazy over them? If it's about the money, and backwards compatibility is totally doable, why would Sony not use it to their advantage and sell 500k or so BC PS4's at a much higher cost?

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

MsJubilee

sub12 wrote:

Backwards compatability is only really useful for consoles that tend to have little to no third party support and large software droughts.

Okay Okay we know the Wiiu has no third party support,you can stop saying it sounding like a broken record friendo.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

CaviarMeths

So weird missing 5 pages of a thread and not really missing anything at all. At least it was quick enough to scroll through with all the walls of text and the whole "I wasn't starting enough off-topic arguments with single posts, so I'm double posting several times times per page now" thing.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

AlexSays

SpookyMeths wrote:

So weird missing 5 pages of a thread and not really missing anything at all. At least it was quick enough to scroll through with all the walls of text and the whole "I wasn't starting enough off-topic arguments with single posts, so I'm double posting several times times per page now" thing.

...as you go out of your way to make an off topic post lol

I'm glad my posts could inspire your presence, perhaps it'll lead you to contribute at some point as well ^.^

AlexSays

DefHalan

I am so glad there are people that come in to "correct" us Wii U fans. We shouldn't be having any positive Wii U threads while the Wii U has such terrible numbers. How could any of us find joy in something selling so poorly. Good thing no one is enjoying their Vita either. Thank you everyone that came here to "correct" the misguided Wii U fans, we will go about burning our systems and buying PCs with dedicated OS and closed markets. Thank you.

Now can we get back to the threads topic? How many of you ONLY own a Wii-U for next gen gaming?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AlexSays

You're not even right about being wrong lol

There were three things I addressed in this thread. 1) The claim that other consoles only have shooters. 2) The comparison between libraries. 3) The backwards compatibility of the PS4.

None of those topics mentioned above were brought up by me. Nobody has said anything about you not enjoying your precious Wii U. Nobody mentioned the low sales of the Wii U. Nobody said the Wii U didn't have games - in fact I said the opposite. Nobody said people should buy a PS4 or Xbox One - in fact I said the last gen consoles were a better value. And again, none of those off topic subjects were brought up by moi.

Just goes to show that literally anything can be said about the other consoles on this site, but if you counter those baseless claims, you're the bad guy. You taking my defense of other consoles as instructions to throw your Wii U into the ocean speaks more for your reading comprehension and emotional attachment to the Wii U than it does for my posting style.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

CaviarMeths

Wait, what's this on the backwards compatibility of the PS4? I missed that. BC is a big selling point for me. If buying a new piece of hardware allows me to get rid of some of my old, this is good news.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

MsJubilee

AlexSays wrote:

You're not even right about being wrong lol

There were three things I addressed in this thread. 1) The claim that other consoles only have shooters. 2) The comparison between libraries. 3) The backwards compatibility of the PS4.

None of those topics mentioned above were brought up by me. Nobody has said anything about you not enjoying your precious Wii U. Nobody mentioned the low sales of the Wii U. Nobody said the Wii U didn't have games - in fact I said the opposite. Nobody said people should buy a PS4 or Xbox One - in fact I said the last gen consoles were a better value. And again, none of those off topic subjects were brought up by moi.

Just goes to show that literally anything can be said about the other consoles on this site, but if you counter those baseless claims, you're the bad guy. You taking my defense of other consoles as instructions to throw your Wii U into the ocean speaks more for your reading comprehension and emotional attachment to the Wii U than it does for my posting style.

That's good and all but the thread didn't even ask this,it asked how many of you only own a wiiu for this generation.I don't know how for the past two or more pages it turned into a raging fanboy fest.It's stupid and the only person fighting is you!No one else cause no one else has 13 comments in this thread made all in this day.All i'm saying okay we get it you have an opinion congrats.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

AlexSays

Actually it's the opposite, I haven't given one opinion in this thread. I've only discussed things that were objective: number of games & hardware specs. If you tried deciphering what games were my favorite from this thread, you would have quite some difficulty. ^.^

As far as this thread is concerned, if people respond to my posts I will be courteous enough to reply back. It would be fairly rude of me to ignore my fellow NL members, especially those that are especially fond of my posting.

As a suggestion for the future, maybe the best way to steer the topic back to the original post would be to avoid making posts towards any one specific user (though I do appreciate the popularity, it inspires me to come back), and to let the topic take its course. After all, if I'm only replying to posts directed towards me, and I'm not introducing new irrelevant material, I'm only capable of discussing the topics brought up by our fellow members.

I'm afraid peoole are more interested in talking about me than the topic at hand though, so it may be best to retire this thread.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Aviator

DefHalan wrote:

Now can we get back to the threads topic? How many of you ONLY own a Wii-U for next gen gaming?

I didn't realise we had deviated from the topic. Do you only have a Wii U for next gen gaming. I can't see anywhere that states you can only give a yes/no answer, so what's the problem. You don't agree with the discussion that's taking place.

Well here's a novel idea, put your sarcastic efforts to good use and try to add to the discussion. The last few pages has been Alex against NL, and Alex is winning, because while he is consistently adding points/rebuttals that move the discussion forward, not a lot of people are able to look past their fanboy lenses.

Or, and you might wanna sit down for this one as it might be a bit of a shock. You don't have to read it!

I know, radical thinking.

Ignore it, move on.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.